New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel, an oasis in a chaotic city. Economy room was of a good standard although shower was weak and needs attention. Shower gel dispenser was empty on arrival. Restaurant food is excellent. Thanks

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Padstow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was my first visit to Kenya, so my partner booked us into The Fairview as a treat, to relax and unwind at the beginning of our holiday. We are not wealthy, so he booked a cheaper room - still nearly £200 per night, booked through tripadviser. Go direct to the hotel, if you must stay here, it was considerably cheaper.
Astounded, that a hotel of this quality and price did not have air conditioning as standard. A grotty fan, that was very noisy.
The room was adequate, the bathroom large, but dated, grubby.
No fridge, although they did provide a couple of bottles of water, (we had to ask for them on our arrival as they were missing). Hence, the water was warm, no way of keeping it cool.
We arrived early on first morning, direct from airport and very long flight. They were very accommodating, got our room ready as soon as possible. So we asked about having breakfast - they showed us in to breakfast room. On first appearance it looked like an amazing spread! But the cooked stuff was kept in hot containers, so eggs were like rubber and bacon sat in its own fat, getting harder and harder. Not that appetising. We were then charged £28 + for the breakfast.
Security was very good, and we were grateful for this.
The staff, were mostly friendly and helpful, however, there was one older waiter who gave the distinct impression that us asking for a lager and a vodka and orange was far too much trouble! He was always like this when we came across him in the four days we stayed.
I would have liked to have spent some time by the swimming pool - there were numerous tables and chairs positioned around the small pool, these were used by business people for lunches, sat in their suits and ties - not a very enticing place to strip off to your bikini and relax and swim - I tried it once, but felt I had to wait until they had all gone before I was comfortable having a dip.
I wouldn't rush back here for the extortionate price - niceish hotel - but needs some tlc and better management.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Libby M
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thanks for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

It is a pity you did not book direct. Our rate is only £138 so the travel agent you used made quite a profit!

We are rolling out air-conditioning in all rooms. However, despite not offering aircon in economy double rooms (your choice of room), we believe £138 is great value. Our higher end rooms do offer air con so we will of course upgrade for free in future.

Our breakfast offering is known for its breadth and its freshness. Our eggs are cooked to order. We did offer scrambled eggs via a buffet-offering but we no longer offer this. Please note that breakfast is part of our room rate and you were charged as you arrived before check-in. Please get in touch with us directly as I would like to refund the breakfast charge.

Your point on swimming is well noted. We will think through alternatives to address this.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards,
Daniel | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I love this hotel and it has become our favorite place to stay. The restaurants are great with a wide selection of cuisine. The service was excellent and the gardens are quiet and beautiful. Perfect for business meetings or just quiet reflection.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool - 90 was great.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Humalk
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Fairview has to be my favorite hotel in the world. I went there with my friend (only two of us) when we were both 16, and the hotel gave us extreme care. Fairview hosted an incredibly friendly, safe and relax atmosphere, resulting in a harmonious relation between guests which hitherto I have not found in any other hotel yet. Fairview is also said to have the best sushi bar in East Africa, according to TIME. It's just too difficult to write a review for a hotel I love so much so I would just stop here (damn it!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Min M
Padstow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I booked online on 1st December for three economy double night's bed and breakfast in early January 2014. I paid the cheapest price on Tripadvisor which was £740 with Olotel. When I got to the hotel they had printed in their fixed price tariff on the reception desk - £133 per night which is £400. I want a refund of £340 but can't speak to either Olotel or Tripadvisor because they have no "contact us" online facility.
Add to this - the breakfast was very poor quality. e.g. Even when you ignore their bullet like poached eggs sitting in the heated trays and ask for fresh-cooked there is no-one in the server who understands what a soft yolk is. The room was very "tired" and hadn't seen any decoration or maintenance for years.
Very disappointing. Last time I stayed there it was great value. It was a most enjoyable experience. AVOID THE FAIRVIEW IN NAIROBI AND MORE IMPORTANTLY AVOID BOOKING WITH TRIPADVISOR AND OLOTEL!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights prior to our trip to Mt. Kenya and returned for one more night at the end. The hotel is wonderful with great service, nice rooms and meals were fresh and had varieties to choose from. We stayed in First Class rooms which were quite comfortable.

The hotel's grounds are beautiful and the setting cool in a countryside style. It is quite secure with friendly security checks. Breakfast here was tasty. The staff were quite helpful, informed and ready to help when called upon.

I recommend the hotel to others visiting Nairobi.

Room Tip: First class rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed at the Fairview for 4 nights in Feb 2014, after a colleague recommended it to me. It is a beautiful, colonial-style property which is far removed from the soulless international chains found in most cities. I found the Fairview to be very comfortable, extremely quiet after 10pm, and easy to get a really peaceful night's sleep in. I ate in the main restaurant (breakfast), the poolside Pwani (dinner, twice), and the garden cafe (lunch), and the food and beverage service was great. Wireless connection in the hotel was perfect. Without exception, the hotel staff were very friendly and showed great dedication to customer service. I'd highly recommend the Fairview and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business