“Nice Safe Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Vancouver
“Nice Safe Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at the Fairview Hotel for 2 nights before our safari and it was a nice introduction to the city after a couple long flights. We arrived late at night and since a few others from our same flight were checking into the hotel had to wait a little while before getting into the room. Not a big deal, but they only had one check-in agent at the desk at it seems like a lengthier process so had they known about the number of check-ins maybe they could have scheduled a 2nd person in? The guy at the Front Desk was very nice and friendly though, as were the people bringing our bags to our room.

We were in the building that you have to go back out the main entrance, across the street so a short walk but not bad. The gardens in the property are very nice and well maintained. Security is tight as well and you have to use your key to access the different gates. We found out it is across the street from the Israeli embassy so you can imagine security is good.

Our room was extremely big. Had a seating area in the front as well as small kitchen (microwave, fridge, oven), a very large washroom with shower and tub and hairdryer, also shampoo/conditioner/moisturizer and 2 bottled waters, the bedroom was also very large with king sized bed. TV in the bedroom can access many international news channels. Only downfall was no AC so it was a bit warm but it was manageable.

With your stay it includes a buffet breakfast which is very good. Wide selection of items to choose from - coffee, tea, juices, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, pastries plus cooked items and also an omelette/egg station with bacon and sausages. Everything you could ask for! On our last morning we had to check out very early so before the breakfast's 6am start time but they opened it early for us so we could eat before our next flight - very thoughtful!

Room Tip: Check which building you are in. We were a bit far away but our room was huge, I'm not sure abou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This beautiful hotel is not only set in the most incredible grounds, but your stay is made perfect with the best service staff I have ever come upon in all my years of travel.

Four onsite restaurants allow you to fully indulge (which could be a problem for some) in menus that gives you the very best of some of the worlds best cuisines. We planned to go out for most of our dinners in Nairobi, but the variety of food and stunning settings for us to enjoy it all resulted in us returning "home" most nights.

Safety, comfort, relaxation, personalisation and pleasure is what the hotel achieves for every one of their guests.

The entire hotel experience is just magical and the idea of leaving at the end of your stay is the only negative experience you will have at the Fairview Hotel.

Loved it!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Downundertravellers
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

On a transit stop through Nairobi, stopped at the Fairview Hotel. Quickly becoming my favourite place to stay in Nairobi.

Great service from the staff and a great room.

I know they have a collection of different room types, styles, shapes, sizes, so I find it a bit of a lottery with rooms but very good this time.

I had a room on the pool, Room 142, facing the pool. Very nice room on the ground floor.

Very happy with the food at the poolside restaurant.

Location I rated lower for this trip simply because it was a transit trip and Nairobi's traffic turned on extra special slowness for me on the two days i was in town. But when in Nairobi for actual business I find the location good.

Room Tip: I had Room 142 which was nice. I imagine the rooms in the 140s opening onto the pool are all the sa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank fallinandfilmin
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I traveled to Nairobi for work and as it was my first time I was not sure what to expect. The people are so friendly and I felt at home at Fairview. The staff are helpful and setting beautiful. The gardens are amazing! I read up on this hotel on TripAdvisor before I left and saw how everyone raved about the gardens, and now I know why! The breakfast had a good selection and dinners were good enough. I did think it was nice that there are 4 restaurants to choose from. Pity the fine dinning was not open when I was there ;). My room was just what I needed, it had wi-fi and was clean and comfy. I would recommend it for business and a short stay, just not for a long holiday as there is not too much to do at the hotel besides walk in the garden and eat...although it's Nairobi you want to see anyway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Erica F
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Nairobi is a chaotic city and the security in this hotel is excellent. But don't be put off by it - inside the gates the atmosphere is very relaxed and relaxing.

The rooms are nice - corridors outside can get a bit noisy but i slept well. the pool is cold but very refreshing.

The front and back restaurants are good - but the upstairs one does not live up to expectations. - stay down i would they are good.

Staff are nice and helpful and there are lots of them.

Would definitely stay there again if i was in the city. Beware the Nairobi traffic.......

Room Tip: try and get one on first floor as ground is a bit claustrophobic
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Janine058
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is located across from the Israeli embassy so the security is fairly tight. Unfortunately, there are not many places to venture to nearby. The employees at the reception were not friendly or personal and refused to work with me about changing rooms. The room (business deluxe) had no personal touches, and was very sparse. You can certainly tell that they cut corners. The landscape surrounding the hotel is beautiful, which made me really want to like the hotel. There were just too many negatives to continue staying for a week. I ended up leaving after a day and finding the same priced room at the Kempinski, which was a world of a difference.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
FairviewNairobi, Manager at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

It is unfortunate that you did not like our business class rooms; perhaps you would have preferred a higher category room? We endeavor to continuously upgrade our products, and suggestions on additions to this room class are welcome.

We were not busy on this day and should have offered you a free upgrade. We will work to ensure our service levels are increased at reception.

Thanks for your feedback. We look forward to an opportunity to show you more of our product offering.

Regards,
Daniel | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel
Mombasa, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Since my first review have been lucky enough to return twice, in November with my husband and last week on my own. I love it here, feel very safe, staff are great, food is wonderful, breakfast will set you up for the whole day and the gardens, public areas are stunning.

If you have the time, sit in the front garden early morning with a cup of coffee listening to the waterfalls and birds - bliss.

My title - management read every questionnaire that is left - commented on how we couldn't find the extra pillow when I visited with my husband; last week I walked in the room and the extra pillow was laid on the bed.......that is the difference between the Fairview and other hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo