“Quick Trip but pleasant”
Review of Fairview Hotel

Fairview Hotel
Ranked #3 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed January 23, 2014

On a transit stop through Nairobi, stopped at the Fairview Hotel. Quickly becoming my favourite place to stay in Nairobi.

Great service from the staff and a great room.

I know they have a collection of different room types, styles, shapes, sizes, so I find it a bit of a lottery with rooms but very good this time.

I had a room on the pool, Room 142, facing the pool. Very nice room on the ground floor.

Very happy with the food at the poolside restaurant.

Location I rated lower for this trip simply because it was a transit trip and Nairobi's traffic turned on extra special slowness for me on the two days i was in town. But when in Nairobi for actual business I find the location good.

Room Tip: I had Room 142 which was nice. I imagine the rooms in the 140s opening onto the pool are all the sa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank fallinandfilmin
There are newer reviews for Fairview Hotel

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I traveled to Nairobi for work and as it was my first time I was not sure what to expect. The people are so friendly and I felt at home at Fairview. The staff are helpful and setting beautiful. The gardens are amazing! I read up on this hotel on TripAdvisor before I left and saw how everyone raved about the gardens, and now I know why! The breakfast had a good selection and dinners were good enough. I did think it was nice that there are 4 restaurants to choose from. Pity the fine dinning was not open when I was there ;). My room was just what I needed, it had wi-fi and was clean and comfy. I would recommend it for business and a short stay, just not for a long holiday as there is not too much to do at the hotel besides walk in the garden and eat...although it's Nairobi you want to see anyway.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Erica F
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Nairobi is a chaotic city and the security in this hotel is excellent. But don't be put off by it - inside the gates the atmosphere is very relaxed and relaxing.

The rooms are nice - corridors outside can get a bit noisy but i slept well. the pool is cold but very refreshing.

The front and back restaurants are good - but the upstairs one does not live up to expectations. - stay down i would they are good.

Staff are nice and helpful and there are lots of them.

Would definitely stay there again if i was in the city. Beware the Nairobi traffic.......

Room Tip: try and get one on first floor as ground is a bit claustrophobic
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Janine058
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is located across from the Israeli embassy so the security is fairly tight. Unfortunately, there are not many places to venture to nearby. The employees at the reception were not friendly or personal and refused to work with me about changing rooms. The room (business deluxe) had no personal touches, and was very sparse. You can certainly tell that they cut corners. The landscape surrounding the hotel is beautiful, which made me really want to like the hotel. There were just too many negatives to continue staying for a week. I ended up leaving after a day and finding the same priced room at the Kempinski, which was a world of a difference.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
FairviewNairobi, Manager at Fairview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

It is unfortunate that you did not like our business class rooms; perhaps you would have preferred a higher category room? We endeavor to continuously upgrade our products, and suggestions on additions to this room class are welcome.

We were not busy on this day and should have offered you a free upgrade. We will work to ensure our service levels are increased at reception.

Thanks for your feedback. We look forward to an opportunity to show you more of our product offering.

Regards,
Daniel | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Since my first review have been lucky enough to return twice, in November with my husband and last week on my own. I love it here, feel very safe, staff are great, food is wonderful, breakfast will set you up for the whole day and the gardens, public areas are stunning.

If you have the time, sit in the front garden early morning with a cup of coffee listening to the waterfalls and birds - bliss.

My title - management read every questionnaire that is left - commented on how we couldn't find the extra pillow when I visited with my husband; last week I walked in the room and the extra pillow was laid on the bed.......that is the difference between the Fairview and other hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2014

right now ( Jan 2014) the hotel is undergoing restoration efforts... Not a good time to visit.
But when they're done...this is the place to stay. Beautiful accommodations. Fabulous all-you-can-eat breakfast bar...blocks of blue cheese, eggs to order, wonderful fruit selection...

And, the grounds are well landscaped and manicured...

Close to everything downtown ( but a little hike to the airport).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for choosing Fairview! It was a pleasure hosting you.

Thanks for the compliments on our rooms, grounds and buffet breakfast.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by repair/renovation activities. We seek to do renovations during the quiet periods and given the huge popularity of the Fairview and its restaurants, it can be challenging to ensure our efforts to continually improve do not overly frustrate our guests. You’ll be happy to know the renovation work is complete! Thanks for understanding.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairview.

Kind regards,
Daniel Szlapak
MD

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have stayed at the Fairview many times on trips to Kenya. This time we used it as a home base for our explorations in East Africa. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Nairobi. We stayed in three different rooms as we came and went from Nairobi, and each was beautiful, comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet is great, and overall the service is outstanding. It's right across the street from the Israeli embassy, which means extra security, and the building and grounds feel very safe. It's set in large gardens a short taxi drive from NBO city centre. More popular with NGO staff, wildlife photographers, and business travelers than it is with package tourists, it's a well-run family-owned oasis in Nairobi.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family