“Best place to stay in Nairobi”
Review of Fairview Hotel

Fairview Hotel
Ranked #3 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We were in the Fairview Hotel on and off for almost three weeks in December, 2013. The hotel has everything you could ask for: an excellent location near the city center (walking distance) but with beautiful gardens (unique in Nairobi hotels) on a very safe street; very comfortable rooms; a good swimming pool; good on-site restaurant choices; very well-trained and knowledgeable staff; one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen anywhere (I travel a week a month). The WiFi is fast and easy to connect to. The price/quality relationship is excellent; it has been run by the same family for decades, and the personal touch shows. The hotel maintains its own list of reliable taxi drives, which we made ample use of for excursions. It is an excellent base for exploring the area (e.g., Karen) and also for trips to Masai Mara, Lake Naivasha, or Lake Nakuru. The Fairview is also only 15 min from the Wilson Airport, with domestic flights to Lamu etc. The hotel has excellent security, its own borehole for water, and own generators as well. This was a return trip to the Fairview from our earlier visit in 1974, and we were not disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Having stayed at Fairview at least a dozen times in the past three years I've noticed some changes during my recent stay. Although I understand that the restaurant facilities are currently under renovation, the place just isn't as good as it used to be. For starters, we had the breakfast this morning which I have raved about to friends and family the world over and it was lackluster at best and provided us with a bit of a dodgy tummy immediately following. The only remaining restaurant/bar open during the evenings (pool restaurant/bar) closes on Friday at 10pm. The room was a bit bare when we came in and the large bed, which granted is a very good quality mattress, had separate single blankets for use instead of one linen covering the whole of the bed - did they run out? Regardless I will give the Fairview another chance, maybe I'm just unlucky to stay here during the low season but I did expect better. Finally (to end on a high note) the staff are absolutely amazing and incredibly friendly with impeccable customer service skills! Even though the room and facilities let us down a bit, the staff really helped to maintain some level of standard we have expected with this normally fantastic hotel! Cheers to you!

Room Tip: Business rooms aren't worth it, no fridge or extra amenities. If you want more than Standard, go...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCglobetrotter07
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thanks for recently staying with us and sharing your experience.

You will be delighted to know that the Fairview Hotel has not had a change in Management!

The hotel is quiet over the new year period and as a result, it has a different “vibe”. We apologize for not meeting your expectations during this stay and have refunded 50% of your accommodation bill to you credit card.

With regard to breakfast, please email me separately so I can investigate further.

Thank you for the feedback on the duvets. We will address this promptly.

Thanks again for your feedback and for keeping us on our toes! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Daniel Szlapak
MD

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have frequented the Fairview hotel for years now and never been disappointed. All the improvements in the recent years have gone a long way in making this a very special place in Nairobi.

My most favorite thing is to go for the breakfast, absolutely out of this world, and to happily surf the internet. The WIFI connection is brilliant.

Tha place is clean, the service has always been outstanding and the food is absolutely heavenly. Highly recommend the pastry which I absolutely enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I travel extensively and the Fairview is without question my favourite. I has those wonderful qualities that the major chains strive for and rarely achieve. The rooms are wonderfully individual, the food is superb and the service faultless. Only thing - could they do a sauna or steam room?

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Definitely my favorite hotel in Nairobi, and I'm picky. This place is filled with garden space, fireplaces, and quaint corners to read/answer emails.

I stayed in one of the smaller rooms and it gave me enough space to live and work. The environment of the Fairview gives you the large country-home feeling like they advertise and the rooms feel the same.

It’s located in a quiet yet central neighborhood. Also it’s as safe as you can get given all the security around the Israeli Embassy.

Breakfast buffet has everything you need. The other restaurants give you enough variety during the day.

Staff is friendly. Rooms are clean. Save your search and just stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed two nights on two separate occasions at the Fairview. We enjoyed our stay both times. The place was clean, the wifi worked, and the staff was excellent. Yes there is excess security but it is across the street from the Israeli Embassy and I would rather have more security rather than not enough. The place is large with different restaurants and a wine cellar. It hosts one of the best restaurants in the city - the Pango Brassiere. We ate there both nights and enjoyed ourselves. The service was top-notch and the food good except for maybe the lamb, but lamb in Kenya is not very good anywhere. We sat by the pool one afternoon which was also clean, quiet and relaxing for being in the middle of a big city. The breakfast was extensive and very good. If we end up in Nairobi again we would stay at the Fairview.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We first stayed at Fairview in 2002 at which time we were impressed with the quiet comfortable atmosphere in the midst of the busy city of Nairobi. On each of our subsequent visits Fairview remained our destination of choice. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the restaurant choices adequate. The grounds are well maintained with an excellent pool. The staff is always there to assist. If you want a modestly priced hotel in a convenient city location this is it with charm and comfort.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms in the main building facing the rear or pool area, quieter and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business