“Beautiful hotel and great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairview Hotel

Fairview Hotel
Ranked #6 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Kelowna
“Beautiful hotel and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Lovely hotel and staff. The room was a bit small and surprised there were no toiletry items. However, the fitness room was great as was the pool. Food was fabulous especially the breakfast. The gardens were simply amazing. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We recently stayed here after our safari as a transit point as our flight was the next evening to London, UK. The hotel is located right across from the Israeli Embassy so security is tight but the hotel premises are very safe. It took about 20 minutes to arrive from Wilson airport as there was mild traffic congestion.

We stayed in one of the junior suites which is located across a small road from reception. Key card entry was required through all gates so it felt safe. The grounds are beautiful with lots of greenery and with a sufficient number of restaurants to choose from.

The internet connection was very good, which was a pleasant surprise. The internet was included in the cost of the room.

The room itself was a bit dated, but the bed was very comfortable. We had a nice kitchenette which we didn't end up using as our stay was short. The living room area was nice, but note that there is no door between the bedroom and living room area so noise will travel. The bathroom was sufficiently large but could use renovation. There was no door on the shower, so the bathroom did tend to get quite wet if you had a shower.

The hotel is a nice sanctuary from the rest of Nairobi, but I would note the following could be improved:
- checkout time is 10am which is rather early. As we had an 11:40pm flight to London, we opted to pay the additional half day rate to keep the room until 7pm, which worked for us. However, a 11am or noon checkout time is more normal by western standards (and western standards are obviously the standard to which this hotel is aspiring given the price point and clientele of the hotel)
- as a result of extending our stay until 7pm, we asked for additional bottles of water at reception to brush our teeth (two small bottles are supplied per room and we had run out). That water did not ever come but we believed this was a reasonable request given that we did pay an additional 50%.
- cleanliness could be improved. I found a huge hairball in our room, and it wasn't our hair as the colour of the hair was different. Not acceptable in my opinion.
- there was a noticeable 'gaseous' smell in our bedroom - we couldn't figure out where it was coming from and opening the window did not solve the problem
- our telephone did not work. We tried several times to call the front desk, using the speed dial options as well as the actual extension numbers but ended up having to walk to the front desk for any questions / requests. This was a bit annoying
- this is a minor complaint, but there was no conditioner nor body lotion. At this price point, these toiletries should be included

On the plus side, the breakfast buffet was very good, with an excellent selection of food. The staff were friendly. The pool area and first class lounge were nice. Finally, there was a good giftshop with a good selection of souvenirs at moderate prices.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but certain improvements could easily be made, as noted above. However, as our primary concerns were a good sleep in a safe location, I would still give this hotel a '4'.

Room Tip: The junior suites are nice and spacious, if your budget allows.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderingnomad111
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been traveling to Kenya on business for years and always try and stay at the Fairview. It's a quirky, old colonial-style place that is very unique and homey. The lovely gardens and outdoor restaurants make it easy to relax after a hard day of work and the staff are very friendly. I usually get a business class room (the economy rooms are VERY small and only have twin beds). My room has always been spotlessly clean and comfortable. The wi-fi is free and works well. There is a small, but nice fitness center (2 treadmills, 1 elliptical machine and some nautilus machines).

The Fairview is also very safe - lots of guards and key-only access to room areas. It benefits from being located on Nairobi Hill, just outside of downtown. I would not stay downtown anymore, as it is no longer safe at night. The Fairview is also located right across from the Israeli Embassy, which makes the area extra-secure due to the heavy presence of embassy guards and road barriers to prevent vehicles racing down the street with bombs.

The only drawback is that you can't walk many places from the hotel. Fortunately I can walk to my office, and there is an ATM within walking distance (in the fancy office building at the end of the alley that runs next to the hotel). But I haven't yet found any stores or restaurants that are within walking distance, aside from the Java House (about a 10 min walk, and only safe to do during the day).

I have been coming here for more than 20 years and really, really love this place - I would highly recommend it. TIP: If it's booked, try and get a room next door at the Country Lodge, which is a new, very modern Scandinavian-style hotel. It doesn't have a restaurant, but you can walk down the alley and dine in all of the Fairview restaurants and enjoy the Fairview's gardens.

Room Tip: Avoid economy rooms - they are really tiny and only have twin beds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lizryan100
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Pleasure of staying here en-route to and returning for charity visit to Laikipia region.
Facilities and location were great, only downside was staff who were slow and seemed untrained.
Sme fixtures were dated but rooms were all good quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. It is undoubtedly one of the most comfortable places I have ever stayed. The welcome is always very warm. The staff are both very attentive and discrete. They have several bars and places to eat, and cool, leafy gardens. The rooms are great. The main hotel is an old stone building that always stays cool so you don't need air conditioning. The pool is beautiful. This is a real home from home.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived here after flying two nights from San Francisco. The front desk was VERY efficient in checking us into a great room, which was modern, sparkling clean and quiet.

This hotel and lovely gardens are an oasis of quiet. The buildings and rooms have character, but are still modern. Hotel security was unexpectedly excellent. Felt very safe sleeping with our windows open.

Included breakfast was to die for. We had a most enjoyable dinner at their Mukutan cafe, overlooking the gardens. Food was excellent and reasonable. Plus we really enjoyed listening to Kevin Kabela, a very talented singer.

Although there are at least four or five places to eat here, you could always catch a cab or easily walk (about 10 minutes) to the CBD (Central Business District).

Staff was always excellent, polite and helpful. Even if this hotel was back in the USA, we would stay here again in a microsecond! (And we did stay here again a week later!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This wonderful hotel is a little calm oasis in the bustling city of Nairobi. I loved my stay there and would more than happily go back.

My room was small and basic but really nicely decorated with lovely features like a reclaimed wooden desk. It was secure too and had a room safe. Rooms look out on to the rest of the hotel and grounds below,which are beautiful.

Staff are exceptionally welcoming and readily meet your needs. I stupidly left my Do Not Disturb button on all day whilst out of the office and got a call in the early evening from Housekeeping checking I was ok and if I still wanted my room servicing.

I used the pool and gym both of which were pleasant and the gym well stocked with apparatus. There's also a souvenir shop selling goods at reasonable prices.

The food was very good and there are different restaurants to choose from. The only thing I would say is that I stayed there 3 days and the menus differ little from one restaurant to another and I was running out of ideas of what to eat. That's something the hotel might like to think about for longer stayers. But it's a small thing.

Oh and finally I mustn't forget the fab, free wifi. I had an excellent reception wherever I was in the hotel, probably the best I've ever had. First world hotels should take note!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and compliments.

Since your stay in June, we have introduced new menus in all our restaurants giving each one of them a distinct cuisine.

Regards,