“Beautiful Place, Caring Staff, Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fairview Hotel

Fairview Hotel
Ranked #3 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Tucson, Arizona
“Beautiful Place, Caring Staff, Amazing Experience”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Fairview for two nights so we could attend my friend's wedding. Being from the States, we are constantly told about how unsafe it is for tourists to visit Kenya and that petty theft is common, even in the nicest hotels. However, we couldn't be more wrong.

I left my sunglasses in the hotel room while we attended the wedding. When I returned that night, I couldn't find them anywhere and, as much as I didn't want to, I began to assume the worst. When we asked the staff about the occurrence, they were understanding, though skeptical.

Upon returning home, I had an email from Linda, the assistant manager, following up about my sunglasses. She offered to reimburse me for the item as well as offered extensive apologies. To my embarrassment, the sunglasses were tucked away in my boyfriend's bag--they were found upon our return home.

This incident showed me just how professional and caring the staff at the Fairview is. Not many hotels anywhere in the world would take the time to follow up with a customer about an incident like this, let alone offer to reimburse the traveler for the item. We loved our experience in Kenya and were, clearly, safe the entire time.

That incident aside, the hotel is stunning. There are several restaurants on the premise that feature delicious food, and the acres of stunning and lush gardens make it truly a beautiful place to stay. Aside from the incident, I loved our stay, and now that we know it was a fault on our end, I would only be too happy to return there one day.

I hope that tourism in Kenya continues to blossom, as it's a beautiful country filled with wonderful people. Thank you to the Fairview for reminding me what customer service is really about--and reminding me to keep an open mind when traveling. While it's still important to make smart choices and travel safely, I was wrong to make assumptions about where I was.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OffToSeeTheWorld04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
State College, Pa
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Spend one night there prior to safari. Same great atmosphere and decor. Had room on second floor just off the outdoor atrium. Wonderful schnitzel chicken with fries and veggies. Mule (last name) our server made the dinner extra special with his humor and attention. Plus, he knew the one breakfast chef we appreciated during 2009 visit. Thought the piano playing from the dining area would keep us awake but it didn't and was rather soothing. Completed a survey for hotel management when we checked out and even before we got home we had an email thanking us for participating and acknowledging our appreciation of Mule making our stay special. Outside areas well landscaped and quite attractive. Would certainly return for a stay at the Fairview.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wegoustay
Jos, Nigeria
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Fairview Hotel is the only hotel l have ever being too in Africa that have exotic plants, extremely green vegetation, exquisite landscape and a site to behold. It is a heaven for
Couples.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are in the extension building not in the main building where the reception is situ...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

From the accurate information about how to get a taxi from the hotel, to the on-time, courteous and inexpensive airport shuttle, through the unexpectedly well-equipped (single, economy) room, the amazing breakfasts, caring service... I went on business and would return there on holiday.
The pool was lovely, the gym looked great, there is a sun-lounger area above the pool so sun-bathers aren't disturbed by people having meetings around the pool and the restaurant food was just great.
Moreover, for Nairobi, it wasn't too expensive.
And the WiFi works (and is free).
The only caveat is that if you want to get into town, this hotel is quite a way out (in traffic). The up-side is that it's near the airport so you're more likely to catch your plane home!

Room Tip: I had a single economy but it was more than adequate - nice sized bed, shower, good sized desk for w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Clownface10
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed for three months in their apartments and got to know the hotel, the restaurant, the staff, and the grounds very well. In a word, this place is stunning. It is a small city reinventing itself nearly every day to deal with the variety that is Kenya. Power goes out? The generator kicks on in seconds. Internet cable gets cut in Mombassa? The staff immediate send out word by phone and memo what is happening. Not enough pool seating? Within days, they built a pool bar to seat more people. No, this is no cookie-cutter place. No place like that would be in business for over a half century. Every time I threw a wrinkle at the staff (like storing blankets and equipment for 20+ South Sudanese orphans we were helping), they found a way to help us with a smile. The food was good, the service friendly and very African. When we come back, you can bet your buttons that this is the place we'll go.

Room Tip: If there is something you need, just ask. They aren't superhuman, but they are great at doing am...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DocMara
Arlington, VA
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I spent three weeks here while on business in Nairobi and loved every minute of it. Carefully prepared food -- especially the amazing breakfast buffet -- gorgeous grounds, pristine swimming pool, and even a fire pit where a group of us enjoyed a campfire one night. All of the staff were so welcoming and the rooms were spotless. I also enjoyed the best cup of tea I've had in all my travels at this hotel! I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I stayed in the modern new wing across the road and through a gate from the main building. It was a...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EllenArlington
sussex
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to our flight back to the Uk following a wonderful safari organised for us by JT Safaris although we booked this hotel ourselves as a result of searching the web for a good hotel in Nairobi. We were impressed with the security at the hotel and as a result felt extremely safe. When we booked in we found that our rooms had been upgraded and we had two suites. We ate in two of the restaurants and found the food to be really good in both. Staying here was a delight, we were very impressed.
Keith, Diane and Mathew