“Excellent Service delivery.......”

Fairmont The Norfolk
Ranked #13 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Was at this hotel for 3 days and I had organized a 2 day business conference with over 30 guests from various countries....the price was amazing for a hotel in it's class......each and every staff I personally encountered was friendly and eager to be of service (genuine passion), all logistic arrangements in conjunction with the hotel were flawless for my guests and the unanimous feedback from the team was thumbs up!

Would gladly stay here on my next visit but this time for a holiday to savor every moment of their hospitality....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Upon arrival the hotel staff welcomes you in a very friendly way. The hotel is very inviting and nicely decorated. However, rooms are starting to look quite tired and are in need of urgent renovation.

This is all something you might be able to live with, but the worst thing are the extremely bad insulated walls. During my 5 day stay, I did not have one good night sleep! You can hear (all) your neighbour's noises and when people leave early in the morning, you get the most annoying "concert" of slamming doors.

Really a shame as the hotel in itself could definitely be a great place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I traveled to Nairobi in December, 2008 to attend a wedding and thereafter to climb Mt. Kenya, visit my old Peace Corps school in Gatundu and just generally reaquaint myself with Kenya after an almost 20 year absence. Of all the wonderful memories of the trip, one of the best is my one night stay at the Norfolk (December 10). Having last stayed there in 1992 and remembering countless meals taken on the Lord Delamere Terrace during the early 1970s, I was delighted to see how beautifully preserved and enhanced the Norfolk appeared. My room was exquisite and after a week of swimming in icy cold pools, the heated pool at the Norfolk was heaven sent. Everywhere I went in the hotel, kindness awaited. The doorman John loaned me his cell phone to contact late arriving guests; the charming lady in the laundry room offered to clean my clothing free of charge; the women in the gift shop expertly directed me to the Nakumatt when I enquired about buying some Kenyan coffee and tea; and the chef and waiters at the Delamere welcomed me like a long lost friend (and promised to bring back one of my favorite desserts from years ago, the Coquille St. Jacques - tropical fruits over vanilla ice dream). The Norfolk experience was a magical end to a week that convinced me anew that despite living just three years in country long ago, Kenya is still my second home. Asante sana. I'll be back this coming December for yet another wedding and plan on staying at the Norfolk once again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank ZmanWashington_DC
Reviewed May 13, 2010

an open welcoming hotel. good rooms aircondition. good gril restarant poor roomservice. poor setting for swimming pool.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2010

The hotel is older but clean. The landscaping inside the courtyard was lovely.
The rooms have air conditioning but you have to turn it on when you arrive. There are flat screen tvs in rooms with BBC and CNN to find out what' going on in the outside world.
There is a Barclays bank with ATM at the end of the block for getting some Kenyan Shillings.
The breakfast buffet was good. It is served on the terrace. There were so many choices to choose from. I had a freshly made waffle one day.
The gift shop had an interesting array of items but quite pricey for the items available.
The internet was 500 shillings for one hour and was quite slow.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed May 5, 2010

There is no doubt that it is special to stay in one of the earliest safari hotels, the home of the original Great White Hunters. However, you pay a serious price by anyone's standards.

Staff are generally very helpful and pleasant and appear to be genuinely happy to work there. However, a few things went wrong which they struggled to fix and I would expect more from such a pricey place.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2010

My husband and I stay at the Norfolk in October of last year. Sorry for the delay in writing this review as we have been "on the road" much of the past six months.

This was one beautiful hotel. It has a grand and interesting history. I must say we are partial and very fond of Fairmont properties. While a chain they NEVER seem like a chain as each property is unique in so many ways. We arrived at this hotel early evening after being in flight close to 30 hours, I think. So we were pretty tired. It was raining lightly. The Norfolk was our welcome to the next 5 plus weeks in Africa. It was our best accommodation on our trip.

Our room was a junior garden suite and though a bit on the spendy side it was perfect. The bed was luxurious. The bath had a walk-in shower (with no tub which is fine for us) and the bathroom was quite large. The sheets, towels and amenities were wonderful and plentiful. The view of the garden was lovely. We ate all breakfasts on the Terrace and they were buffets and excellent. We had dinner at the Tatu and is was very excellent, probably the best meal we had in five weeks in Africa.

We arrange to stay here for three nights before heading out to the Massai Mara and on to the rest of our tours just to rest a bit from the long trip and to adjust to the time change. We were feeling so fit after a wonderful night's sleep that we engaged our tour company, Pollman's Tours for two days of touring around Nairobi. Anderson from Pollman's Tours was the best. The rest of our Kenya tours were preplanned but we left Nairobi open to see how we felt. So that morning he arranged for us to get to Mass at Holy Family Basilica (a wonderful experience) see Karen Blixen's home, have lunch at Karen Blixen Garden Cafe, the Giraffe Center, and the Boma's of Kenya. A great day. The next day we visited The Daphne Sheldrick Animal Orphanage, did a city tour, the Village Market, a Catholic Shrine, and KADET an NGO we support, and the Kenya Museum. What a wonderful two days in Nairobi.

Our entire experience in Nairobi was wonderful. And especially the hotel. The best part of the hotel was the service. Every staff member went out of his or her way to make our stay enjoyable. The offered assistance at every turn and even gave us business cards to contact them while in Africa is we got into any difficulties. Need I say we have nothing negative on positive things to say about this hotel. If you can afford a little splurge this is the place to do it.

one small note of information - the first night we were quite cool in our room but used the huge towel for extra bedding. I don't think there is heating in the rooms as I am sure it isn't need most of the year. When we mentioned this the next day we were promptly supplied with a room heater that was just great. So if you are there when it is a bit cool don't hesitate to ask for a room heater.

another note - our upstair garden suite required stairs so if you can't manage a single flight of stairs you should make that known when you are making a reservation.

one last note - our experience here perhaps set too high a bar as we found ourselves holding the Forfolk up as the standard while we were in Africa and nothing quite as good. The Royal Livingston in Zambia was the close second but the only real conteneder.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple