“excellent service”

Fairmont The Norfolk
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We only spent a little while here as we were off to go on safaris but what little time we spent we certainly felt the Fairmount Polish. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff was most helpful and kind and Patrick went out f his way for us. Kenyan hospitality at its best!

Room Tip: Allow a lot of time to get from Nairobi airport to the hotel and vice versa. Traffic is a nightmare!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank belleg47
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear belleg47,

A big thank you for this great review!

We will make sure to pass all your comments to our team and are already looking forward to your next stay with us!

Best regards

There are newer reviews for Fairmont The Norfolk

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night after my long flight. Very beautiful hotel, the service and mood was like that if the 30's. Everything you could ask for. My only regret is that I get not get to stay longer. The grounds breath taking. Staff top knotch.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank RebelMuse
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I should have posted this earlier. The rooms are clean and neat. The dinning and food great. I loved that I had a coffee french press in my room. And the coffee always tasted great. The ambiance is amazing. Staying there is pricey, but definitely worth it. Every time I went for breakfast, I was greeted by name, I travel quite some and I have not got that kind of treatment anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ruth A
Reviewed January 18, 2014

After a 5 week overland trip I was looking forward to a touch of luxury and this hotel was our splurge!
The room was clean and cool which was a welcome relief from the heat of Nairobi but it was really a business room, with a large desk and multiple line phone. I was disappointed that it had little privacy and no outlook - a function room of sorts looked directly into the room necessitating keeping the curtains drawn. It was not the colonial heritage hotel I had hoped for I could have been anywhere. The pool was a long way away from the room and wasnt anything to write about, so I won't. The cocktail bar had little ambience and the whole place was a letdown. With its history I was expecting a hotel along the lines of The Victoria Falls or the Bangkok Oriental. Not even close.
My main gripe is with housekeeping, however. I requested and was pleased to get a late checkout of noon. Great I thought.. breakfast in bed, a late snooze,a long shower and I'd be rested up for the long trip home to Australia. Not to be..I had a nice breakfast then ... Knock on the door 30 mins later to pick up the tray...10mins later "can we clean the room" (even though I'm checking out!) 15mins later " can we check the mini bar" , then 2 maintenance men to measure the bathroom then a second minibar request, the latter two after a do not disturb sign was put on the door so I could have a shower in peace.
My advice would be to look around and not waste your money here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Janelle M,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you and we are pleased to hear that our clean rooms and breakfast exceeded your expectations.

We have noted the issue of interruption by our colleagues during your short stay and not meeting your needs, this has been addressed to my team and we will ensure that this type of incident does not re-occur in the future.

Your review has been constructive and candid to improving and enhancing our guest experience at Fairmont The Norfolk.

We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

The Norfolk has certainly seen better days. Colonial charm has been replaced by bland tasteless decor in the common areas. We had booked a duplex suite which was tired, had a dirty shower, and were kept awake by the combination of a noisy air conditioner and a big generator or similar machine outside the room. On the plus side the staff were extremely helpful but even so we decided to stay elsewhere on our return leg through Nairobi.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TravelGuruMoscow,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Fairmont The Norfolk. We are glad that you noted our excellent service.

We have noted all the concerns you raised for our corrective action.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed just two nights here (barely over a day), but it was so lovely. We checked in around 2:30 am from our flight and the staff was so helpful and warm as if it weren't the middle of the night. We were shown to our spacious room that had a tv, air conditioning, a view of the courtyard, a safe, and an amazing en suite with a huge tub and a separate walk in shower. The hotel had a great breakfast on the terrace in the morning complete with a made to order egg station and waffle station along with everything thing else you can imagine for breakfast! The pool looked great, although we didn't get in. The gym (free for guests) was pretty well equipped...cardio machines, some weight machines, a bench, filtered water machine and towels given upon checking in. We also had dinner at the restaurant 'Tatu' that is in the hotel. We didn't have reservations, but there were plenty of tables available. The food was really amazing and the chef even prepared a little taster for us. I enjoyed braised beef and we split a crispy shrimp starter as well...everything just perfect. At the end we were allowed to approach the chefs and thank them for the delicious meal. The hotel is located just a short walk from the city center and although we didn't walk around at night, during the day we felt safe to walk about.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jklawhorn

Dear Jklawhorn,

Thank you for your review.

On behalf of our team, I would like to thank you for your wonderful and heartening appreciation of our services and cuisine and the fantastic rating.

It is inspiring to know that you enjoyed our services and our colleagues and I are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Enjoyed our stay in this charming quaint boutique hotel. The architecture is unusual, very colonial, the service is pretty good, the food in their restaurant TATU is the best ever tried in Kenya. Their manager really nice and hands on. The chef at TATU is really talented, he created some amazing dishes. This was the best meal ever in Kenya. The hotel offered very good taxi service with good taxi drivers, and if dissatisfied, they make sure that you get value for your money.
Loved the brass band playing Xmas carols in the garden below our bedroom
Our bedroom was nice, but i would not say the best. The bathroom was not up to scratch, the shower was splashing water everywhere and the tap in the sink was dysfunctional, trickling water, we had to request maintenance quite a few times to have it repaired. The bar offered some nice freshly prepared cocktails and good quality nuts. My only gripe is that i had to wait few hours on end for extra hangers to come to the room upon arrival as well as the bathroom! otherwise, all was perfect in that place. I enjoyed the massage and spa at the Norfolk, but Rita at IL Moran was better in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Shermine54,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Fairmont The Norfolk. We are glad that you noted our standards and good value with excellent service. Thank you for your recommendation.

We are currently addressing the concerns you raised on the bathrooms.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.