“Great service, good food, rooms a little tired...”

Fairmont The Norfolk
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed in the Norfolk on our recent trip to Kenya. Service is generally excellent throughout the hotel, with an attentive and friendly staff. The food options are good, with a good buffet breakfast which the kids enjoyed. The Norfolk also has a good pool and health club. The obvious area for improvement is the hotel rooms themselves. While spacious, the rooms we stayed in were a little dingy and in need of a renovation. The showers had poor water pressure and little cold water, which made them difficult to use. Also, make sure you spray well for mosquitoes, as we encountered more in the Norfolk than on safari...

All in all a good stay!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nigel D
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Nigel D,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Fairmont The Norfolk. We are glad that our Health Club, customer service, food variety and buffet breakfast exceeded your expectation.
We have taken note of all the concerns raised which we shall address as a team to better our service and product.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont The Norfolk

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Charming facility, with great character. The old big game hunters and movers and shakers hung out here since 1904! Has good food, great service, and patio dining where you can people watch and get the feel of Nairobi.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mayo G

Dear Mayo G,

Thank you for your review.

For more than 100 years, we have endeavored to meet and exceed our customer expectations. We are happy that you enjoyed our food and exceptional service.

We look forward to hosting you again

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I spent two weeks at the Fairmont on a recent business trip. I liked the hotel because of its location and style. The rooms are very nice, the service could not have been better, and the layout of the hotel complex with a nice courtyard away from the hussle and bussle of Nairobi was an added plus. The internet connectivity was some of the best I have had anywhere in the world, which was totally surprising.

My only complaint would be the breakfast buffet which was extremely expensive and not that great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim F

Dear Fletchjhome,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that our location in Nairobi's central business district was of convenience to your purpose of visit.

We have noted your concern on our breakfast rating which I shall review with the rest of the team.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Had memories of the terrace bar from trips here 20 years ago but little else.
Back here now with kids aged 12 and 15 so somewhat different.

Terrace still cool and lovely bar. Staff all friendly and very helpful.
Rooms fine. Great showers. Comfortable beds. Everything that you need.
Food good. Drinks good.
Nice pool. Not massive but was empty when we went.

Peaceful location but only 10 mins walk to town centre.

We stayed here for two nights on arrival in Nairobi. It was fine, but just no wow factor. Had we stayed here after a few nights on safari, I think I would have been saying what a lovely haven it was.

P.S. Starting a round the world survey of Bloody Mary's. Would rate the Norfolk's as a 7.5/10. Much better than the Stanley's.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank emb01

Dear emb01,

Thank you so very much for your lovely review and for rating us outstanding.

It was our pleasure to host you at Fairmont The Norfolk after 20 years. We are glad that you noted our standards and good value with excellent service. Thank you for your recommendation.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived in Nairobi beginning our Micato safari. Our first 2 nights were spent at the Fairmont Norfolk Hotel as well as our last 2 nights a week and a half later. The Norfolk is certainly an oasis in a very busy city, Rooms were quiet and well appointed. The hotel is built in a kind of square with some rooms facing a beautiful inside courtyard. This format keeps the noise of the city out. It's very well done. Even the al fresco restaurant in the front of the hotel is comfortable. The breakfast buffet was delicious! Pastries, fruits, cheeses, yogurts, eggs, bacon etc. Dinner choices were wonderful and their Martinis were heavenly! During our return trip my husband & I decided to have a massage plus I thought I would have a manicure and pedicure. Not only was the technician very good at what she did but the price was 1/3 of what you would spend in the US and Europe. The Fairmont does a wonderful job with this Norfolk. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inside courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Portia C

Dear Amportia,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments and the very good rating.

We look forward to hosting you again with renewed expectation.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked four days in the Fairmont and I felt right at home. The staff are friendly but discreet, the room was comfortable and the overall hotel atmosphere was cozy. I arrived from South Sudan and phoned the front desk about seeing a doctor which was promptly arranged. Great service overall.

When you are returning to the hotel by taxi, mention that you are staying in the Norfolk since not all drivers know the hotel as Fairmont. They will then take a short-cut depending on where you are coming from.

The only complaint I have is that the hotel staff did't process my club membership, so I had to pay for internet access.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Noah M,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay at Fairmont The Norfolk.

Please contact us on kenya.reservations@fairmont.com and we shall enroll you to our Fairmont Presidential Club!

We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont The Norfolk in the near future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Writing this as I have my last hour in the Hotel as I await my flight back home. So SAD to leave this wonderful hotel. I came for a business trip and the service and the hotel was top class. Every staff member went out of their way to remember my name. The food was excellent. The room was clean and well stocked and maintained. From the moment I checked I was looked after by a fantastic reception lady called Susan. Made my initial experience special. The welcome was fantastic.

The bar areas are simply great. The service was polite and very fast. A special mention for a girl called Miriam at the bars in the evening. She was fantastic. She made the welcome so genuine and was a absolute pleasure being served by her. She is a true credit to this hotel.

As I was on business I managed a day off and went on a day tour to the Nairobi Park arranged by the Fairmont. A SIMPLY FANTASTIC day. I saw a pride of Lions kill a Zebra and saw the feast. Imagine that when I expected to spend my day catching up on emails??. Also visited the Elephant sanctuary and the Giraffe Manor.Patrick the driver for the day was the best ever and was so friendly and great company for the day. Doreen in Customer services was wonderful and great fun to meet.The Three of us had a special fantastic day. Once again these two people are a credit to this hotel and its service. They made my day a special memory.

I spent my last day using the pool and the health club. WOW what a great place. Again I met Richard and specially Tabitha who made my stay there and use of the health club so special. This health club was modern , clean equipped and truly 5 star.

The Fairmont Norfolk in Kenya is a special place. The service and the people are the best. I have stayed in many hotels around the world all 5 star plus and this hotel ranks high amongst them. If you want that special service and a clean great truly 5 star hotel in Nairobi, the Norfolk is the place to go. The people in this hotel made my trip a magical memory.

I can not wait to return to Nairobi Kenya and visit this hotel. I only hope they remember me like I remember them.

Room Tip: Take day trip to the Nairobi Park if you are on business. Also visit the Health club.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brad M
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Brad M.

Thank you for your valuable review. We are delighted to learn that your overall stay at Fairmont The Norfolk was a wonderful experience!

We are also pleased to learn that you were happy with our exceptional service at the reception, bar and Health Club, At Fairmont The Norfolk, our mission is to turn moments into memories by providing warm, sincere and engaging service that ensures guests feel valued.

I will pass on the compliments to Susan, Miriam, Patrick and Doreen.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!