I was here on business for two nights. Reception was good and friendly.
I guess I had a newer room, one wing was under renovation. My room was quite big, good amenities, good bed.
Breakfast was super! You are really spoilt for choice: European, American, African, fresh fruit juices (and I don't mean a bit of real fruit juice with lots of water and sugar), breads, jams, eggs.
Safety in the restaurant might be an issue for some people: it is directly on the street. With the recent unrest and hand granade attacks in Nairobi, safety crossed my mind more than once.
I found the rooms, food and drinks quite expensive.
At the time of reservation I got a rate in US$. At check out you only get an amount in KSH with a lot of zeros. It might be an idea to show the guest what this amount means in terms of US$. Be transparent about it.
In spite of an environmental programme, the hotel has still a long way to go on environmental issues:
1. Water: taps were sometimes difficult to open and close, the shower leaked. The taps nor the shower head have no water saving thing on it.
2. Electicity: why isn't there a main switch at the entrance door? Now you have to make a trip trough the room in order to switch off all the lights.
3. Heated pool. It didn't look like the hotel used solar energy to heat the pool. Why is that with so much sun on many days?
4. Cleaning of the bed sheets. There is a card that you can lay on the bed which means that you don't mind using the bed linen another day. Why is the default not the other way around? Put the card on the bed if you want your bed linen to be changed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just minutes from Nairobi's best attractions, including the home of Karen Blixen, from the Academy Award winning film 'Out of Africa', Fairmont The Norfolk offers luxurious guestrooms and suites, set amidst tropical gardens. It features plush furniture, flat screen TV, minibar, rainfall showers, and tea and coffee maker. Built in 1904, the hotel has been completely refurbished with a heated outdoor swimming pool, health club, sauna and steam rooms with massage facilities, tropical landscaped grounds, and award winning restaurants and bars from steak and seafood at Tatu restaurant, afternoon tea to Lord Delamere Terrace for international cuisine. The hotel is walking distance from artisanal craft shops, modern shopping centres, Sheldrick's Elephant Sanctuary, National Museums of Kenya and is the launch point for 'bucket list' worthy safari tours, which can be organized at the 24 hour concierge desk. A free shuttle bus is available to and from Jomo Kenyatta International airport, located 11 miles away. Business Guests are also offered a complimentary return shuttle ride to their office with free WiFi on board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont The Norfolk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont The Norfolk Hotel Nairobi
- Fairmont Hotel Norfolk
- Norfolk Hotel Nairobi
- Fairmont Hotel Nairobi
- Norfolk Nairobi