1,228 results
All reviews tatu restaurant lord delamere terrace cin cin bar colonial charm an oasis heated pool gift shop week safari breakfast buffet is busy city beautiful hotel masai mara east africa downtown nairobi business trip rooms are spacious elephant orphanage
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Norfolk is situated next to a University in a nice quiet part of central Nairobi. The setting is beautiful and the rooms are clean and elegant. There is excellent internet connection and the grounds are beautiful. There is a beautiful garden.

The location may not be convenient for some business travelers as it is a 20-25 minute walk to most government buildings but over an hour by taxi because of Nairobi's crippling traffic problem.

There are no other service near the hotel and you must cross a busy road to get to anything interesting.

Now to the main problem with this hotel. The price they charge for food and other services is insane.

Food: a simple Cesar salad cost +USD 30. It was not the best one I had ever had and frankly was actually sub-par.

Internet access is over USD 20 per day. Again this is not acceptable.

Laundry service: USD 10 for one shirt.

It should be noted that all prices are presented a much less than the ones I quoted but if you read the fine-print, they add VAT, service charge and a flat fee for everything. I find this misleading as other hotels don't do that.

I'm traveling for business and these costs are covered by my employer but if you are here using your own money, this is a rip-off.

Finally, in general service is good, but for the price, small things are not addressed. After cleaning my room I found that it was lacking tissue and garbage cans are not emptied. Small details but the price you expect perfection.

Although this hotel is beautiful and the quality of the facilities is excellent, I cannot recommend this hotel since other equally good options exist in the city center or on Upper Hill.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael_6829
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Michael B,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Fairmont The Norfolk.

I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our excellent internet connection, clean rooms & beautiful garden.

We have however noted your comments about our food & laundry pricing which I will address with the rest of the team and also do comparisons with other major hotels in Nairobi to ensure we are not over priced.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Norfolk is a wondeful place. I stayed back in 2001 with my family on the first few nights of our trip, and I loved it! The rooms are very homey, the staff is very helpful and kind, the grounds are spacious and pretty, and the hotel itself is quite beautiful. It is a cozy place amid the hustle and bustle of Nairobi.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Norfolk pre-safari, and LOVED the hotel! (I guess we were in the renovated portion because the room was lovely!) We were only there for 2 nights and I would definitely stay there again. We are looking forward to another safari and will start our trip with a few nights at the Norfolk...a beautiful oasis in the middle of busy Nairobi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Wonderful grounds amdist very busy, traffic jammed city.
Rooms are badly in need of a refurb. Smelt of mold and smoke.
Carpets were filthy.
However food was excellent, gym was fabulous for a hotel gym and staff couldnt have been nicer despite the many complaints I am sure they get from international travelers in regards to the room conditions.

Room Tip: Ask for another room if you are disappointed with the first one you are given
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank carmel22

Dear Carmel 22,

I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed several aspects of the hotel especially the excellent food, our gym & staff services.

We have however noted your comments about our rooms which I am pleased to inform you that we are renovating in stages.

Thank you for your feedback and we welcome you back to our hotel during your next visit to Nairobi.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I love this hotel. It gives the feeling of an enchanted garden, leaving the hustle and bustle of Nairobi's city center outside its walls. There are ample restaurants, good workout facilities, and plenty for the tourist.

Room Tip: Join the Fairmont's president club for free wifi and upgrades.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends