“Very nice short stay”

Fairmont The Norfolk
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Couldn't ask or expect anything better for a one night stay in Nairobi prior to my safari trip to the masai mara. Easy check-in. Nice staff and the in-room dining was excellent. I wouldn't really say much about the location, it seemed to be well guarded but I just needed something not far away from the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Fairmont The Norfolk

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Sorry to see the colonial style slowly losing his touch in a very confortable hôtel. Must be THE place in Town for breakfast. You can have a very good idea of what Nairobi used to be in the good old days.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Overall the hotel is very average for a Fairmont. More like a Holiday Inn. The room we stayed in had not been upgraded, so the bathrooms were outdated and the overall quality was not of the typical Fairmont standard. There are several other hotels that are better value for the money on Trip Advisors best hotels list

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

We have noted your concern on our rooms, which we are refurbishing in stages. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Norfolk has a long and proud history and has seen many travellers walk up its carpeted steps and enter into the reception in it's distinguished life. I first visited as a child in 1967 and I have periodically revisited over the intervening years when visiting Kenya and it has never failed to delight. In my view it remains one of the landmark hotels of Africa. My most recent visit noticed sharper service than usual and everyone had a smile - whoever is manager at the moment is running a good and tight ship. The rooms were also cleaned to a high standard and attended to in the evening in a thoughtful way. It has maintained its position at the top of the list, whilst some of its rivals have become complacent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at The Norfolk for about 12 nights whilst on business in Nairobi in August, so I can say I had a pretty in-depth view of the hotel. Most things I'd normally list have been mentioned repeatedly by other reviewers: convenient location, excellent standard of rooms, beautiful, quiet grounds, very good gym (mainly cardio machines), attractive pool.

So I'll mention three items of special note, not least because they'll contradict some previous reviews:
- In-room wifi internet was excellent -- fastest I've had in Africa, and certainly fast enough that I never felt like connection speed was a problem at all.
- The staff were friendly, attentive and capable -- there's a reason Kenyans are sought-after for management positions in hotels and resorts across east Africa.
- The food in the veranda restaurant -- yes, it was expensive, but I rarely have moments where the first bite of a dish suddenly gets my full and complete attention. The grilled tilapia did that to me, and the calamari was a close second. And I agree with the previous review that the prawn spring rolls were top-notch as well. My compliments to the chef and the waitstaff.

I would stay at The Norfolk again without a second thought.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We highly appreciate your great comments about Fairmont The Norfolk and especially on our excellent standard of rooms, convenient location, high internet speed, staff, food and gym services. It is always a great pleasure to read that we are able to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Norfork for 2 days on our arrival to Kenya from the states. We had plans to site see and adjust to the time change prior to our safari in the Masai Mara. It was a lovely hotel, the staff was exceptional. We had arranged for a driver to pick us up at the airport as well as for site seeing around the city. If I could do it all over again I would just have taken a cab from the airport to the hotel and around town. On our leg back to Nairobi after our safari, we took taxi's around and it was much more affordable. The hotel charges 3-4 times more then a taxi service or driver would. The resaturant in the hotel was nice and the food fabulous. We also really enjoyed the pool. Besides being way over priced on services, we had a very nice stay there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed that The Norfolk on both legs of our Safari.
The hotel was elegant and very well managed. Our rooms were well appointed had every amenity and had been well maintained.We did not see the rooms that had been or were in the process of being completely remodeled, but the rendering photos showed them to be extremely state of the art. The staff couldn't have been more professional or gracious. Breakfasts were excellent and the onsite dinner restaurant was fabulous.
You could get to the heart of Nairobi very easily from the hotel and the security was very tight. We would definitely stay here again if returning to Nairobi.

Room Tip: I would check to see if the newly remodeled rooms were available. We stayed in room which started w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We highly appreciate your great comments about Fairmont The Norfolk and especially on our rooms, food and security vigilance. It is always a great pleasure to read that we are able to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.