“Very good Nairobi option”

Nairobi Serena Hotel
Ranked #5 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I'm a regular Serena guest. I must say though that I do prefer the Kampala Serena. The Nairobi Serena is simply just showing its age, I suppose. Its a bit darker, the furniture older, etc. But still perfectly lovely. Centrally located. Overall good and efficient service, decent-to-good wireless internet access throughout the hotel. Good selection of satellite TV options.

Breakfast buffet is good, room service is okay (wish for a larger menu -- but I say that about all hotels).

Avoid copy/printing business travelers, like most Africa hotels, crazy expensive prices.

I do like the gift shop -- actually they have two, one with toiletries, phone cards, snacks, postcards/stamps, etc. The other with jewelry, baskets, and other local crafts/arts (priced high of course, but no worse than the airport and much higher quality than you'll find there). You can change currency to Kenya shillings here, but cannot change Shillings back to USD/Euro/etc. There is an ATM right next to the hotel, less than a block away which is convenient.

I've now spent a total of 3 weeks in 2012 and 2013 here and overall I have been satisfied, though this time I had a terrible AC unit in my room that simply did not cool the room enough during the day.

Room Tip: Avoid next to the elevator if you suffer from jet lag insomnia like me! Also, the rooms that face th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Nairobi Serena Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a too short layover in Nairobi and stayed at the Serena. We arrived late in the evening and had an early checkout to catch a flight to a camp. It is not too often that you wish you could have stayed longer at a hotel but this was the case with the Serena. The hotel is lovely and well maitained-- the common areas, our room and the restaurant. The staff was courteous and efficient at check in and check out. If we get back to Nairobi we will stay at the Serena.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Service excellent. Our checkin was seamless, maybe because our guide from Classic Escapes did it for us. When we arrived around 9:30pm, there were birds singing, and we found out it was frogs on the pond. A lovely sound. The hotel is old with lots of character. Our room was great. Marble bathroom with deep tub and handheld shower plus regular shower. Big bath sheets, two robes, slippers, all the nice amenities. Closet light turns on when door opened, thick blackout curtains, electric kettle, complimentary bottled water (we paid $8 US for a liter of same at the Norfolk Delamere Terrace today at lunch!!!). Breakfast included in the rate.
The wifi is better in the rooms than the lobby. Still not very fast, though, but complimentary.
One thing: they need more outlets. We can't charge our iPhone/iPad by the bed and couldn't at all without the extension cord I brought.
Very nice hotel. We've heard the food is excellent, too.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had two stopovers at the Nairobi Serena. Both were excellant with very good and comfortable rooms, very good food, convenient location and most of all staff that were more than keen to be as helpful as possible. I cannot speak too highly of the environment in the hotel which made one very comfortable and at home.

Room Tip: Nicest overlooking Uhuru Park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We arrived in Nairobi early in the morning ,and were transferred to the hotel through the early morning work rush which was manic. we were welcomed and transferred to our room with efficiency and then slept for four hours as the Heathrow to Nairobi flight is not recommended if you wish to sleep.At lunchtime we sat overlooking the game park had a sandwich and a beer and enjoyed the sunshine. We had a visit from two Kenyan residents in the early evening and treated them to a meal, which was average. Slept well no early morning call despite a request for one. Had a pleasant 24 hours in Nairobi near to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking Game Park
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is pricey but the drinks in the bar are reasonable and cocktails well made. The food was extolled in the guidebooks, but is actually only quite ok. Breakfast has great fresh juices, good bircher muesli, but the items that had to be ordered from the waiter often had to be asked for several times (coffee/toast/eggs). Taxis ordered through the hotel were always over-priced, but good quality and safe. The rooms are good. Lots of pillows. And a great pool, spa, gym. So really for a few nights in Nairobi is a very good choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had a couple of nights at the Serena last month. The service remains impeccable. The buffet breakfasts are to die for. I love the bar for afternoon tea, a great selection of South African white wines by the glass or a late night single malt. One evening, I was having drinks with two Kenyan friends. The bar was full. One of my friends commented, "There's Raila Odinga (the current prime minister of Kenya and perhaps the next president)." What interested me was that only a total of 4 people in the entire bar got up to speak with him (and I would say that a majority of the people in the bar were Africans). People comment that the hotel needs a re-do. Yes, it is the same as it was when I last stayed there, 3 years ago. And yes, it is not "modern" or trendy in decor (vs. traditional African). But I have nothing at all negative to say about the Serena except that it is expensive, yet a great treat for me every time I stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends