“Very nice hotel”

Nairobi Serena Hotel
Ranked #5 of 168 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Service excellent. Our checkin was seamless, maybe because our guide from Classic Escapes did it for us. When we arrived around 9:30pm, there were birds singing, and we found out it was frogs on the pond. A lovely sound. The hotel is old with lots of character. Our room was great. Marble bathroom with deep tub and handheld shower plus regular shower. Big bath sheets, two robes, slippers, all the nice amenities. Closet light turns on when door opened, thick blackout curtains, electric kettle, complimentary bottled water (we paid $8 US for a liter of same at the Norfolk Delamere Terrace today at lunch!!!). Breakfast included in the rate.
The wifi is better in the rooms than the lobby. Still not very fast, though, but complimentary.
One thing: they need more outlets. We can't charge our iPhone/iPad by the bed and couldn't at all without the extension cord I brought.
Very nice hotel. We've heard the food is excellent, too.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had two stopovers at the Nairobi Serena. Both were excellant with very good and comfortable rooms, very good food, convenient location and most of all staff that were more than keen to be as helpful as possible. I cannot speak too highly of the environment in the hotel which made one very comfortable and at home.

Room Tip: Nicest overlooking Uhuru Park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We arrived in Nairobi early in the morning ,and were transferred to the hotel through the early morning work rush which was manic. we were welcomed and transferred to our room with efficiency and then slept for four hours as the Heathrow to Nairobi flight is not recommended if you wish to sleep.At lunchtime we sat overlooking the game park had a sandwich and a beer and enjoyed the sunshine. We had a visit from two Kenyan residents in the early evening and treated them to a meal, which was average. Slept well no early morning call despite a request for one. Had a pleasant 24 hours in Nairobi near to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking Game Park
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is pricey but the drinks in the bar are reasonable and cocktails well made. The food was extolled in the guidebooks, but is actually only quite ok. Breakfast has great fresh juices, good bircher muesli, but the items that had to be ordered from the waiter often had to be asked for several times (coffee/toast/eggs). Taxis ordered through the hotel were always over-priced, but good quality and safe. The rooms are good. Lots of pillows. And a great pool, spa, gym. So really for a few nights in Nairobi is a very good choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had a couple of nights at the Serena last month. The service remains impeccable. The buffet breakfasts are to die for. I love the bar for afternoon tea, a great selection of South African white wines by the glass or a late night single malt. One evening, I was having drinks with two Kenyan friends. The bar was full. One of my friends commented, "There's Raila Odinga (the current prime minister of Kenya and perhaps the next president)." What interested me was that only a total of 4 people in the entire bar got up to speak with him (and I would say that a majority of the people in the bar were Africans). People comment that the hotel needs a re-do. Yes, it is the same as it was when I last stayed there, 3 years ago. And yes, it is not "modern" or trendy in decor (vs. traditional African). But I have nothing at all negative to say about the Serena except that it is expensive, yet a great treat for me every time I stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This may not be the most modern of hotels around but i rate it above the cutting-edge places i often stay in in the Far East due to its traditional decor and traditional manners. Lovely staff whose smiles light up your day. Everyone takes the time to be polite to you and when travelling on business this makes such a difference to your day. I was also impressed by the facilities, especially the wifi which was available throughout the hotel, including in the rooms so i was able to use my laptop, iphone and ipad very easily. The only thing i missed was a nearby shop where i could stock up on cheap snacks and drinks, so i had to resort to room or restaurant service at all times. But that's not the end of the world!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

A recent stay, for albeit only a few hours, once again gave me the opportunity to sample the Nairobi Serena Hotel. On arrival - a new passport being presented, the reception staff, shortly after midnight, was alert enough to spot this and changed my records right away as the pre-printed registration form still showed my 'old' passport number.
Travelling light this time I left the standing by hotel porter to resume other duties and went to my room, to find the bed turned down, a flower arrangement on the table and besides the fruit basket a bottle of fine red wine with a welcome note by Daniel Kangu who is the General Manager of the hotel.
The hotel knew that I would be leaving a few hours later to resume my travel across the region and still had done the full monty.
Time flew, as i worked on reports for most of the few hours before heading for breakfast. Supposed to start at 06.30 the buffet was all set shortly after 6 already and I found all the regular goodies like smoked salmon, a full cheese board, cold cuts and a wide range of buns and bread, something for everyone's taste for sure. Compliments here to the chefs for keeping up standards AND presentation and to the morning shift at the Maghreb Restaurant, all of whom were cheerful and when they learned of my imminent departure, served my tea at double speed. 5 stars all the way again and already looking forward to my next return, which MUST be longer to sample the Spa, the gardens and most important, the fine dining experience the hotel offers for dinner.

Room Tip: I still settle for the Garden Suites any time I can have one, though they are in serious demand of c...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business