Nairobi Serena Hotel
Agoda.com
$108
$78
Priceline
All reviewsleading hotels of the worldroom servicevery nice hotellong flightafrican artbreakfast buffetan oasisbusy cityrooms are comfortablecentral locationgift shopsafari tripbusiness hotelmasai maramaghrebsecuritygym
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Serena Hotel in Nairobi was where we spent our first night on a 16 day safari in Kenya and Tanzania. The tour company, Vantage Travel, arranged for us to stay in Serena properties for all of our nights' stays and they were all exceptional. Most nights the properties were located in National Parks and all exceeded our expectations. Although very similar in each lodge, the food in the buffet styled restaurants was quite good and the rooms were as good as any 4 star accommodation we've experienced in similar settings in the United States. The cost of our meals was included in the tour price so I can't compare restaurant food prices. Drink prices were slightly above what you'd expect in the U.S. but not unreasonable. I would highly recommend the tour company, the hotels, and the experience.

Room Tip: If you take a safari tour such as this one, be sure to take a substantial amount of cash for tips. While not needed for dinner, tips are expected at the bars, by the drivers, guides, and tour leaders. There are hardly any ATM machines. Also, bring disposable masks for protection from dust while on game drives in open vehicles during the US summer months.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Returned to Serena Hotel after five years. This is still my favorite hotel in Nairobi. Fast and friendly check-in/out, excellent service. My room was quiet, very spacious, and spotlessly clean. The garden invites one to spend time outside just like the renovated pool area.

Room Tip: Even though my room overlooked the main entrance the double windows provide excellent noise shielding. Have not had a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2012

They were on top of every thing. Airport pick up and drop off. Stored our extra bags while we
Were on a safari. Meals were mostly buffet. Tasty and wide asortment. Drinks at the bar
Came fast and were fairly priced. Rooms are big and the bed comfortable

Room Tip: Ask for a room teaching the gardens
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here one night between Kilimanjaro travels and "roughing it" in the bush. I don't know if my being overjoyed was a result relative to my recent experiences, but I was literally jumping and squealing once the doors were closed. The rooms feel plush and high-end, with attention to detail. We're from New York, so we know what we're talking about. As soon as we settled in, we ordered room service, which was great. The food was above average (for Africa). Breakfast was a great feast. The hotel offered what felt like mountains of food. A huge assortment of freshly prepared juices, breads, pastries, cereals, hot items, etc. We were happy, but sad to check out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nogareaux
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Although I only spent 2 days at the Serena hotel, I must admit that I had a quite positive stay. With highly attentive and friendly staff and beautiful seating areas; Serena is one of the best and descent hotels I have ever visited in Nairobi. The hotel is located in perfect and very welcoming grounds (Uhuru Park Gardens). Although generally the hotel is cool, I observed several negatives about it. The meals and rooms are too expensive for the room size as well as the quality of meals. All the breakfasts were complete though very dull. Besides, the check in process is very slow as the clerk took about half an hour to get me checked in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo