“Great security”

Nairobi Serena Hotel
Ranked #8 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at the Serena Hotel for a night before a trip to the Masai Mara and then we returned to the Serena a few days later for a conference and we then stayed for 3 nights. I was very impressed with the number of security guards on each floor as well as even a security guard on duty around the pool as well as guards around the gardens. It appears that the Serena takes security very seriously. We had a delightful stay and everyone was very friendly. We ate poolside a couple of times. The food was fine, nothing extraordinary but adequate. But the breakfasts were great! We had room service breakfasts which he ordered the night before in order to save time in the morning. All in all, just a great place to stay.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed at Serena for One week in October. I did not feel alien which is very reassuring especially for a first-time visitor. The staff were professional all the way, smiled and offered assistance whenever encountered. There are some things that could be improved such as Lobby decor (hard to understand the asian influences and african art; some of which is cheap-looking and reproductions). The bed was also hard, even after being moved to a different room. A/C blew up a musty cigarette smell which my business partner also encountered in his room. However, the rooms were clean, updated decor-wise, ample towels in bathroom and slippers. The WiFi was also good as was the in-room internet. The Serena excudes an air of reassurance & confidence like an old well worn briefcase, smart wool coat, or classic car.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

stayed for 5 nights . veg indian food is execellent . went to all the other hotels but serena is a class apart in nairobi except the only comparable is fairmount. the staff is very helpful and the view is very nice. the hotel is the best in nairobi. security is very good. the duty manager lameck kimaru helped me a lot. also the chef cooked few indian dishes not in the menu. the hotel pickup is also nice.

Room Tip: rooms facing the garden and on the 4th floor and if taking executive room then the first floor is th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We only spent one night here as we were traveling on to the Masai Mara for a safari. The hotel is very safe, well maintained, clean, beautifully decorated and convenient to the airport. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They also arranged a 2 hour tour (without any notice) with a great driver whose English was excellent who then drove us to the city and the sights. The food is what I would rate as average. I do understand we are out of the states, so I was not totally surprised even though our food on the safari was actually better. I looked at a lot of the other hotels on our tour and was not impressed with their appearance from the exterior. We did not see any animals from the hotel but very much enjoyed their outside seating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed four nights at the Serena on a business trip. Unfortunately since it was a business trip, I did not get the chance to do much except go to the office but I will say the following:
1. I believe the hotel is located in the heart of Nairobi's city centre
2. The reception and lobby area were very impressive, spacious and welcoming
3. The breakfast spread was fantastic and you have to try the omelets especially if you like them well done. I absolutely enjoyed it and without having to request for it, I got a nice, firm omelet unlike the quickly prepared runny ones that I have had in some other hotels
4. The room was very spacious and I think the bed was king sized. The bathroom has enough space, lovely toiletries and huge towels (too big for me). One of the two reasons why I did not rate this at excellent is because there were mosquitoes in the room and even though there is provision for an anti-repellant in the room, it was not replaced on the third and fourth nights and I did get bitten whilst I was working in the evenings.
5. The second reason for not rating it as excellent is the internet connection. It just didnt work except for one evening. The rest of the time I just could not log on. Also, it is connected through a LAN cord and it is not wireless so I was unable to use my other devices as I did not have a router.
6. The room service was prompt and excellent. I have to say that Eunice was very friendly yet polite and professional. I think the selection was also quite good, unfortunately there was not enough time to try some of the dishes I wanted to.
7. The hotel has a nice bar 'Aksum' (I think) and the service was great there too. Very nice bar food (especially enjoyed the seafood skewers and finger food). It can get quite busy but there is a nice seating area outside too.
8. There is a good selection of international TV channels (including news and sports) and I even managed to watch the finals of the T20 cricket world cup as I enjoy cricket.
I found the rate quite high especially since it was a corporate rate but I understand that this is standard fare for top quality hotels in Nairobi.
I would definitely consider returning if it was available for the right price.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is our fourth visit to the Serena and it's like a home from home. The staff welcome you as though you haven't been away.
The food was wonderful, especially the Friday night sea food special. We started our safari trip there and ended it before our night flight to Heathrow. They made our room a day room so we could spend some time getting our cases sorted out.
This hotel is used frequently by our much used safari tour company, WILDLIFE SAFARIS, NAIROBI. and if it is good enough for this company, it is good enough for everyone. We highly recommend it unreservedly.

Room Tip: If you're booked on the 4th floor, arrange to get one away from the air con generator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lainey6477
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were fortunate to have a three-day conference at the Serena Hotel in Nairobi with more than 85 attendees. The banquet and conference staff were excellent. They responded quickly and efficiently to every need. The audio technician and security staff were always there with us. The breakfast buffet and luncheons exceeded all of our expectations. The grounds are lovely. I would highly recommend it as a venue for business meetings, conferences or vacation in Nairobi. The Nairobi National Park is a short distance away. In a four hour excursion, we say black and white rhino, cape buffalo, wildebeest, velvet monkies, giraffes, zebra, and a lion.