Hilton Nairobi
Diamond Hotel(Nairobi)
Oakwood Hotel(Nairobi)
  • Restaurant
1,361 results
All reviewshilton honorsthe executive loungepool levelcentral locationbit datedbusiness centerbusiness tripenjoyed my staysecuritydoormanmeetingtrafficsafaricbdconference
Reviewed June 8, 2010

So the rooms weren't as bad as some of the reviews. I was on the twelfth floor just below the executive level. We had a couch and sitting area bathroom was big and had a tub plenty of hot water. The furnishings were not luxurious but clean and not worn. Internet, breakfast etc were extra and quite expensive. We ate at Wimpy burger a chain I'm familiar with from the Philippines which was just across the street decent veggie burger. During the day the area isn't bad and is clean and walkable. There is a lack of stores selling water, snacks, etc in the area. We were jetlagged and the room was suitable for two nights of rest while adjusting. We did not make it to the pool but it was large clean and not crowded.
The security is amusing they do check out every car turning in. There is also a metal detector at the front door that is kinda a joke. They glance in purses backpacks etc but never the large luggage. Also if you set off the detector if you are a man they'll wand you half heartedly if you are a woman it doesn't matter if you set off the alarm they won't search you. Makes me wonder why they bother anyone could learn to skirt security after one walk into the hotel. You do not have to be a guest to enter.
I arranged for airport (NBO) pickup for two people it was going to be 1700 shillings we were met by the representative and instead of the hotel van were put in a taxi where we paid the driver 1400 shillings so a decent deal to the hotel, the drive was about a half an hour on a Friday Evening . They had a travel agency that quoted day trip prices for more than twice the cost that I was able to arrange on my own.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Nice service, clean rooms, clean function rooms, good information from staff, easy access to places of interest, good info about safari

Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This Hilton is past its prime. The hotel itself is tired and needs major renovations. I had a room on the third floor, facing the pool. The room was fine, except on weekend nights, when | stayed up until 3 AM due to the music from some disco nearby. The food at the restaurants was bland but very expensive. As a female solo traveller, I did not feel safe venturing out by myself at night, and had no choice but to eat dinner at the restaurant several nights. The hotel itself is located at the city center, and perhaps in any other town, that would be a positive thing. However, the city at night in Nairobi is empty and dangerous (my Kenyan colleagues recommended that I do not leave the hotel by myself). The only food available nearby was fast food places. They charged exurbant rates to use the internet and there was no wireless from the bedrooms. I can't believe at this day and age, any one can in charge $14 USD an hour for internet.

The staff was friendly, and this is the only postive thing I can say about this Hilton.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank wanderlustdc40
Reviewed May 8, 2010

The main problem with the hotel is its location. It is located in the middle of the city square and it is a meeting place of sorts for everyone. You will see all sorts of people waiting for their friends, others looking for employment etc. etc. Our vehicle was inspected everytime for bombs etc. but I am not sure what sort of security the Hilton is guaranteeing for its guests, when it is surrounded by people at all times of the day. Inside the hotel, there is an old world charm. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are well - adequate. The room service is good although I did not enjoy the grilled king fish cooked Kenyan style. No newspapers every morning - something I was used to at other 5-star hotels. The internet connection in the room is good.And please don't even think of going to the salon - it is not part of the hotel- even though it is listed in the hotel booklet as one of the services offered.The staff at the salon are friendly, but this is not the salon expected of a 5-star hotel.. it is not even the salon which should be part of a 1-star hotel. It was a shocker for both me and one of my male friends, who went to the male salon.The hotel will send you a staff to accompany you to the salon, because it is located outside and at the back of the hotel. The gym is adequate. All our friends recommended the Serena and that is where we are going to stay, next time we are in Nairobi.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReenaM
Reviewed May 3, 2010

After reading other reviews on this site I looked forward with a certain perverse anticipation to staying at "the worst Hilton in the world". Well, I haven't stayed at enough Hiltons to rank this place among its brethren, but I must say i found it entirely adequate. Yes, it looks like it hasn't been updated in the past 30 years, but it was clean and perfectly comfortable. The restaurant was OK, if over-priced, and the wi-fi in the lobby was even free when I was there (though I gather this is not usually the case.) This place is also substantially cheaper than the other "business class" hotels in central Nairobi. So don't let the negative reviews scare you off - this is a perfectly decent place to stay at a price that, by Nairobi standards, isn't too bad.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business