WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #28 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“messed up booking, dirty room/bathroom, rude check in staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

A real disappointment having stayed at this and other hiltons for some time. A frequent traveller to Kenya and other Africa destinations...this hotel was a nightmare. A mess up (theirs) over the booking coupled with a 'take it or leave it' attitude trying to turn a quoted and booked rate into the rack rate. Room given was noisy, grubby, bathroom was falling to bits and room was tiny and whoever next door slamming the doors into the early hours. Last time I'll be staying here for a while...Ole Sereni or Sankara for me...and if in town, will revert to the Intercon...all cheaper, more convenient and, after this last experience, better quality. Compliment after this rant tho, their door staff/porters are a delight...a shame that the rest of the hotel doesn't live up to their bright welcome and helpful nature.

1 Thank MJBuchan2013
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We note with much regrets about your dissatisfaction and disappointment about your recent stay with us. You sincerely have my apologies for this inconvenience and I am deeply sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation.

After looking into our records with the reservation office, we indeed confirmed that the mistake was done by us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. To demonstrate our commitment to guest satisfaction, we already refunded the said amount for this stay which should be visible in your bank account shortly. Furthermore, we have put corrective measures in place to ensure this does not happen to you again or any other hotel guest in future.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the manner in which you were treated by our team upon your arrival and please be assured that this was by no means the intention of the team. I do understand your frustration regarding our promise in regards to the upcoming master plan and we do acknowledge that the property is dated.
We thank you for your nice compliments about the helpfulness of the porters. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at the Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.
I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ankara, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

old hotel, rooms are average even less. the staff are friendly and helpfull but always looking into your eyes waiting for money. the breakfast very poor and limited. but the staff dealing with breakfast are very care, smiling face and helpful. shortly it's a poor Hotel to be a Hilton!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff at the Hilton in Nairobi are helpful and always smiling. You truly feel welcome and appreciated right from the door. I loved the coffee plus the extra large and spacious washroom :-)
It might be a bit in the bummer in that its right in the middle of the city sao the environment is a bit overractive.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We thank you and appreciate the great compliments about our team members hospitality, which really made you feel very welcome and a feeling of home away from home. I am also pleased to know that you loved our coffee and our spacious washrooms. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

Philadelphia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

The staff and service at this hotel were outstanding. I would absolutely recommend spending some time at the pool bar. The staff were very accommodating and the bar tender was great company and made some great drinks. While the decor of the lobby and common areas of the hotel was nice, the room was really outdated and the carpet needed to be replaced badly.

Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members outstanding hospitality. I am also glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

I am also glad to note that you liked our décors at the lobby and other common areas, although the room are dated and carpets needs replacement; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked expecting a usual Hilton standard. I checked in and I'm in a really awful "deluxe" room. Everything is old, the wood panelling in the hallway (1970s), the bathroom, the wardrobe (painted wood, no veneer). And it is not clean. The rooms are so old the TV seems space age. The iron can't be used as it has a 2 prong plug and all the wall plugs are UK. The bathroom makes me cringe. The toilet is cracked and the flush mechanism is held together with sellotape. And it is $246 a night.

The hotel also messed up my airport pick up - they expected me to take a shuttle bus that I would have to wait 45 minutes for - I feel like I am moaning but it's really awful - don't stay here - anywhere but here!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank natholian
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, as you have mentioned in your Trip advisor comments, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.
As of the prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

As of the shuttle pick up, I wish to apologize that the service offered was not full filled to your satisfaction and truly apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Our esteemed guest, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the HiltoDen Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Not too many choice for good hotel in Nairobi, so I booked the Hilton hotel which located at the city centre. I stayed at the Executive Room, the hotel looks old, very standard bed room and bath room, outdated furnitures and all seems need to be refurbished. A bit strange for the Hilton chain.
Not too many option for breakfast. No free internet facility, and you have to pay 1700 Kenyan Shilling or equal with 21 US dollar for 24 hours internet service, just to have a very bad and intermittent connection. The hotel staffs were friendly and helpful, although they are very slow. Overall for me, the hotel has very standard facilities, average in service and overpriced.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Manuela B, Directors of Operatios at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have noted your comment about our physical status of our facility and furnishings, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. With regards of the prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international properties one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. We do appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

As of internet cost I would like to advise that, apart from internet not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. For intermittent connection, I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I would like to explain that from time to time we do experience internet downtime from our provider, which we have no direct control over.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

The team at the breakfast and pool restaurant were very wonderful they knew what I needed even before I placed my request. Julius the pool attendant whom the kids remeber his name for his wonderful services and training should be given a pat on his back. Though the building is in dire need of a refurb but the people are very radiant and will always make me come back even if the building is falling.