“Good service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Capetown
“Good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We didn't plan to stay in this hotel, but due to a delayed flight we were booked in the Hilton by the airline. The hotel is a beautiful, elegant old place, but definitely a bit "tired". Dinner was a buffet and not bad. I can only agree with previous reviews. The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift. Overall, not a bad place. The service and staff was good. As we didn't have our bags for the night, I asked for a toothbrush. It was delivered to our room with no problem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. It is indeed a great pleasure to serving you and we appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our hotel. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will see a complete make-over of the hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

We thank you for the fine compliments you make about the outstanding hospitality of our team members and am also glad to note that you liked the location and our food. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Martin Voskamp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for 9 days and the staff was great. Food in the hotel restaurant was a little expensive and the room was outdated and needed to be renovated. The hotel is located in a good location downtown. The room was expensive for what you get, so you should definitely shop around before you decide. I'm sure there are probably better deals in the downtown area. You also pay separately for WiFi service which was very expensive but worked great. Like in any hotel make sure you review all your hotel charges as there was a mistake on my bill, which they promptly fixed. The key here is to do your homework and shop before you decide. Nairobi is a bustling city, enjoyed my stay and felt safe there the whole time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear guest,

We have noted your comment with regards of our food prices and room rates as compared to the condition of our rooms, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

However, although the prices may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local hotels and restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international places one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

With regards to internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. However, to our esteemed Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

If you are a frequent traveller, may I take the opportunity to introduce you to Hilton HHonors Loyalty program. It is complimentary and as the only hotel loyalty program worldwide, you can enjoy our so called “double dipping” benefit, whereby you can earn Hhonors points and miles for every stay/dollar spent at the same time. Upon enrolment you have instant benefit of having your spouse staying for free with you and a complimentary local newspaper. You will only need to achieve 16 stays or 36 nights upon staying in any of our Hilton properties worldwide within a calendar year to get to a Gold tier and enjoy free internet and lots of more benefits.

We have also noted your comment that there existed mistakes in your bill, I am indeed very sorry for this should not be the case; but I am glad this was rectified amicably. However, I have shared the information with our front office manager to put corrective measures put in place to ensure this does not happen again to any other hotel guest in future.

Nevertheless, we thank you for the fine compliments you make about the outstanding hospitality of our team members and to note that you liked the location of our property. I am also glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel after a 17 day camping safari through East Africa. I found it to be a somewhat outdated building with a strange architectural circular design. the bathrooms can definitely use some work. However everything did function perfectly.

That's the worst I can say about this hotel. It is in a prime location. It is close to any and all downtown shops, restaurants and attractions.

The best part about posts hotel is the staff. Every single hotel worker I ran into or had interaction with was courteous, respectful and genuinely happy to serve you and help you get to where you were going or answer a question. it is the workers that make this hotel a five-star facility. I hope some of the money that pours into this hotel gets to them. And if management is going to comment on my review can you answer that question?
Thank you and I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear guest,

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our rooms, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

We thank you for the fine compliments you make about the outstanding hospitality of our team members and am glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

As for the money trickling down to team members, I do confirm yes it does; through various rewards, bonuses and sponsored trainings we do pour money back into our best asset, the hotel team.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel my first night in Nairobi. I have been to loads of hiltons in other countries, and this one is the worst of them all. The staff were great and very helpful. But the hotel itself in my own opinion is in need of some renovation. The bathroom was falling apart. For the price I paid and cheaper, I would have stayed in actual and newer 5 star hotels in same location and enjoyed it. The location is very ideal, bang on in the city centre. The food was poor but well presented. Insects kept hovering over my breakfast at the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We highly appreciate your honest comments as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment with regards of the status of the facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

As for our breakfast prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

With regards of insects hovering around your food, I sincerely owe you an apology if this was the case. However, we have checked our records and despite having a record of guests visiting our outlets, we have not found / had a similar comment or complaint of this kind. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and Executive Housekeeper to investigate thoroughly and take necessary measures to avert this from happening again in future. Please note that we have rigorous cleaning schedules in place to avoid this from happening.

Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you liked the location and our food presentation although quality was not to your liking. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

With kind regards

HILTON NAIROBI

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Del Mar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent 2 nights and one day here before setting out on our Safari
trip. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly. Our room was very
nice. My husband is a Hilton diamond member so we had access to the
executive lounge. During the day we went to the Giraffe Center,
Elephant Orphanage and Karen Blixon Museum.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality and facility. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Guildford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm currently staying in the Hilton Hotel in Nairobi and have had my room robbed by a member of house-keeping and a blackberry mobile-phone stolen. I would hope this is an isolated incident but wanted to make sure that potential guests are made aware of the risk at this hotel.

So, I've been checked into the hotel all week, made an overnight trip to another city in Nairobi and came back to find that my spare blackberry which was buried in my suitcase had been stolen. Went to the front desk and had a 40 minute interview with security (including stupid questions like "why did they not steal your camera and why didn't you want to take it on your trip to take photos?"), he promised to investigate it today. He called me up to say he had made no progress as the staff weren't in and wouldn't speak to them until they returned to work. Called Hilton in the US who said all they would do is log a report, they said under no circumstances would they compensate me and it really had nothing to do with them and that I should speak to the police station. The Duty Manager at the Hilton is currently too busy to speak to me and says they're doing everything possible apparently!

I really hope that I can get this resolved before I leave tomorrow night but don't have any faith in the staff to do anything. They really don't seem to want to move things forward apart from constantly interviewing me - I feel like I am the criminal here in Kenya.

Room Tip: I'm sure it goes without saying to use the safe and I would recommend anything else valuable tha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank richard1717
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your time this afternoon, morning your time, and I do appreciate the cordial telephone conversation we had.

As stated per my mail shortly after the incident, I was indeed sorry to hear that, unfortunately your Blackberry has gone missing, allegedly at the Hilton Nairobi. Your room has been thoroughly checked but we failed to locate the phone. Although we regret the fact that your Blackberry is missing, I am afraid to advise you that the hotel cannot accept liability in this case.

All guest rooms are equipped with private, electronic safes for valuables to be kept in. If the device had been placed in the safe, and the safe had been tampered with in any way, we would have involved the police and start a full investigation. The device we understand had not been put in the safe, neither were your expensive headphones and camera. The latter two though were left untouched.

From my understanding during the call today, the biggest issue has not been so much the fact that your Blackberry went missing, although regretful indeed, but the way it was handled by the hotel team. Instead of being straightforward in explaining the liability and what could (not) be done insurance wise, the team tried to both appease you by being non committal towards you, and wishing to “protect” the hotel and the policies we have in place. As discussed, please do not interpret this as dishonesty, as this was most certainly not the intend.

I am happy to hear that we both agreed that liability policies that are in place must be adhered to, like in many other hotels and organizations, and for me, I will have to do a full training exercise with my team of duty managers on how to better handle this in future.

Mr. Bartlett, again, my apologies and my thanks.

Kind regards,

Martin Voskamp
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Located at the center of Nairobi town, this Hotel stands out from afar. It's beautiful, both inside and outside, the food is amaaazing, very friendly and organized staff, and they play some relaxing soothing music, while you sip your drink away. I love Hilton

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Milly S
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience; I sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you enjoyed our food and as well liked the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.