“Safety In A Dangerous City” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #28 of 162 Hotels in Nairobi
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Safety In A Dangerous City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel was a great place to stay after a hot safari and a long flight. The food was great and the staff was friendly and courteous. For Africa, this is not a bad hotel. However, do NOT go out after dark. Nairobi has become a crime-ridden city and these days, Westerners are targeted.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the city. The rooftop pool and bar are a great location to relax and have...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you have made about our food and the hospitality of our team members, which I have gladly shared with our management and teams. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of security around the city, we agree not to walk around the city after certain hours, however when taking certain taxis to go certain places it is indeed safe to go out in the evenings.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

HEIDI KLEINE-MOELLER I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
norwich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We arrived at this Hilton, coming directly from a very pleasant stay at the Hilton in Zanzibar with very comfortable room and high standards overall, as expected from a Hilton. I had stayed at this Hilton in Nairobi 27 years ago, and to my astonishment the room did not seem to have changed or been updated in any way. It looked old fashioned and tired and crying out for some tender loving care. We had paid $588 for 2 nights, an astronomical amount for such a room, even though this room was "deluxe" as we had been given an "upgrade" when we checked in (a sofa in the room was the upgrade). Other details were also unacceptable for a "5* hotel" - cheapest toilet paper, no herbal teabags available, leaking toilet, sink took 5 minutes to empty, the gent's sauna and steam room were not functioning, and apart from the ground level of the hotel, the rest of it was as old and tired as the rooms, (such as the swimming pool and surround) with no renovation or update having taken place since it was built in the 1970s). We felt ripped off, with salt rubbed in the wound as this was "Room only" and as other people have said, we did not even have free access to the internet (which we did have at the Hilton in Zanzibar where PCs and even free printing was available). The following morning we asked to see the manager and "Stella" came out, who we presumed to be the manager. She confirmed that no updating has taken place, and offered us a 20% discount on the $588 and also included breakfasts for the 2 mornings we were there. We said that it was too late for breakfast today and tomorrow we would be leaving early. Stella offered us free evening meal in place of breakfast that morning. We felt slightly better that Stella had acknowledged to us that the rooms were not up to standard, and that she had agreed to including breakfast, although not complimentary internet access. We still felt however that the room was grossly overpriced,even with this discount. The next morning we were up earlier than anticipated and were able to have a quick breakfast. To our astonishment and disgust we were charged for this breakfast - I was charged 2,300 shillings for orange juice, coffee and a roll with boiled egg. When we challenged the bill on this issue, we were informed that Stella had not agreed to us having complimentary breakfast that morning. This was not what she had told us the day before. We would never stay at this hotel again, and it besmirches the Hilton name and reputation. A note on its reputation: as mentioned by other contributors, there was overt and obvious activity by "ladies of the night" in the almost empty restaurant where we had our evening meal. We visited other hotels in Nairobi during our overall stay there, and very much regretted that we had wasted our time and money at the Hilton in Nairobi. One positive to finish, which we found in all hotels in Nairobi, the staff were attentive and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated and you have my sincerest apologies for this, however we do appreciate your feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests. As for the physical state of the hotel, we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that, over time, will take care of the overall hotel facilities and appearance, whereby I am happy to advise that we will start with our elevator replacement during this quarter of the year.

With regards of discount, I have checked our records and indeed confirm that our assistance front office manager Ms. Stella had indeed offered to include breakfast on your rate but you declined saying you will leave very early before breakfast, instead she offered a complimentary buffet dinner voucher for one night which you agreed upon; therefore your breakfast was charged as opposed to your demands.

About our prices, I am sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation, but I believe we are at par with other five star hotels within the city. However, I would like to thank you once more for your open and honest feedback, which we happily will take in consideration to improve on our guest services and experience.

In case you do change your mind, I do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide and re-establish your faith in our hotel.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Nairobi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

..was on my way to a date at the jockey club upstairs.sat downstairs with my boyfriend..had coffee and delicious cake..then headed for drinks..all was well till the "soldiers" at the lift asked me for my ID..now this was waaaaayy before terrorist threats..behind me were foreign backpackers younger than me with dusty shoes and huge bags containing( only god knows what)..were let in with a salute..i spoke swahili to one of the "soldiers" who said that twilight girls frequent the hotel and sneak off to the rooms, so they have to see some ID...i showed my business card..and apologies were profusely offered.I just left.that was the last time i went anywhere near this hotel

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.
We have noted your encounter with our security team, please allow me to explain that we always ensure to serve our guests with dignity across the board and surely we have no reason to condemn any guests who visit our property unless one behaves in a suspicious manner or causes disturbances. If this was indeed the case you have my profound apologies and please rest assured that this matter was addressed with our security team members immediately.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful; and although we did not meet your expectation, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed here on business for a week prior to visiting Dar and then Johannesburg.

The hotel is old, and in need of an update. Rooms are bare, dirty and tired.

We rang ahead to get the hotel to meet us at the airport, and were happy they were on time, slightly less so that the vehicle they sent had no a/c.

Staff attempted to help, but found it challenging to organise simple things like a taxi to the office,

The food int he main restaurant was poor, although the usual Hilton Club sani was available by the pool !..

The final straw for our small (mixed M/F) team was having a beer in the bar one evening and watching the all too obvious behaviour of the local working girls. Not pleasant.

We moved from the Hilton after 2 nights to the Sankara.

I would not return, and would certainly not take my partner here if we were stopping for a night on route to any of the Kenyan holiday destinations, as I don’t believe she would feel comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment with regards of our hotel status and I have the pleasure to advise that we are indeed in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding your comment about our food quality at our main restaurant and service not being pleasant, I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectations and sincerely apologize for this. Please be assured that your feedback was shared with our Executive Chef as well as with our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure corrective measures are undertaken immediately. Nevertheless, we highly appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Staines, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

If you apply local standards you will soon see that the Hilton has some outstanding qualities. If you try to apply standards seen in other parts of the world you may be easily disappointed.

We made our decision based on its central location and the outstanding security measures. We also wanted to be able to get to Wilson airport easily for an early morning flight. It took us 15mins by taxi to Wilson early on a Sunday monring. If you do not want to go too far the coffee shop and restaurants are good options. The reception area is very welcoming. Quite an impressive pool bar menu.

The rooms clearly vary. We stayed before and after our Safari and the 2 rooms were very different. The first room had previously had someone smoking in it. The smell was noticeable and not pleasant. We booked a double room and were given a twin. We also needed an extra bed in the room and the sofa converted to a bed but it was extremely uncomfortable. We were only there for 2 nights and arrived late on the first night so put up with it. The second stay was by contrast extremely comfortable. We had a much bigger room the extra bed was much more comfortable and we were very happy.

There are a variety of restaurants and a supermarket all within easy walking distance. We travelled with hand luggage and wished we bought all our toiletries in Nairobi as much cheaper than duty free in Heathrow. Only thing that was hard to find at a reasonable price was high spf sunscreen. (Not relevant to the Hilton review, I know, but a useful tip).

If you are lucky with your room we think it is a good choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank caj68
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We highly appreciate your honest comments as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are very glad to note that you were happy and satisfied with your overall experience during your recent visit to us. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

At the same time I am pleased to advice that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come, starting with a replacement of our elevators within this quarter of the year.

We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

With the recent threats from terrorists in Nairobi, the hotel has impressive security measures and pretty fast too. The location is pretty good too as it is right in the middle of town and one can easily walk out at any time to get what they need without a hassle.

However, the carpets in the room look a bit old. They need a bit of face lift. But by and large, it is a great place. The lobby is great. Great food too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Guest

It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We do appreciate the good compliments you have made about our security, lobby and good food. Although our facility looks a bit old, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Yours sincerely

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hotel has an impressive lobby and equally impressive security measures before you actually get in.

We arrived in the middle of the night, but the check-in was quite fast and smooth. The hotel is in need of a bit of an overhaul.

The rooms, elevators and hallways look a bit tired and outdated. The breakfast buffet was of good quality and the setting of the buffet quite nice.

The gym was of a pretty good quality, with even a personal trainer on standby to help you out

Too bad though that everything in this hotel is so expensive, from drinks to wi-fi, it's all very overpriced.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We do appreciate the good compliments you make about our facility, security, efficient check in, food quality and as well the buffet set up. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of our facility status, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, starting with our elevators next month.

About our prices, I am sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation, but I believe we are at par with other five star hotels within the city. However, we highly appreciate your fine comments as well as your constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.