New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #28 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
ireland
“Smelly Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Had the misfortune to be back in this dump again recently. Expect a comment from the manager talking about the refurbishment master plan that is going to be Enacted soon. Sigh! yea sure, we've been hearing that lie for ten years now.
OK the good stuff:
They do security fairly well and that is wholly necessary.
The staff are nice and try to be helpful
Errm, thats about it.
On the downside:
The rooms are apalling , dirty, musty, smelly . poorly furnished.
Food in the restaurants is vile... hint: last nights unsold fish curry is not an appealing brekfast.
Internet is dreadful and they rob you by charging $20 a day for it! Go out and buy a Safaricom sim card and get 1GB of Data for $5 and use any smartphone as a wifi hotspot 4G network is much better than hotel broadband anyway.
Because of its location and the name it carries this kip has a very high occupancy, and the rates they charge are ridiculously high. Someone is creaming an absolute fortune off this cesspit. Conrad Hilton would be spinning in his grave if he saw this dump using his name, never mind the very unfair impression it gives of Nairobi and Kenya as a destination.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us via the Trip advisor medium.
We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest’s expectations. Unfortunately we have this time not managed to do so in all areas, but do appreciate your detailed feedback,both positive and critical, the latter with our apologies.

Martin Voskamp,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights. The reception area is very grand and impressive as is the dining area, giving a great first impression. Staff were friendly and attentive.
The security was tight and my bag was searched on each occasion I entered the hotel, which was reassuring.
The bedroom didn't meet my expectation, although clean, tidy and a reasonable size, it was not as modern as the public areas, I would describe it as dated, and showed some wear and tear.
The swimming area was really well presented and quite considering the busy city location, towels were provided. There is a snack bar located next to the pool area and a changing area. The gym is well equip and air conditioned it also has a changing area, which was extreamly clean with showers, a sauna and steem room.
The bar, snack bar and resturant are very expensive when comparing the prices to other eating establishments as was the hotel. However the food was nice with a good menu, something for all including children. The staff were very polite and attentive, maybe a little to much at times. Breakfast is excellent a great varity of hot and cold items, Buffett style.
Over all, a little expensive but would stay again if I was visiting Kenya.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to write to us; it was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted your fine comments about our team members which I have gladly shared with them as well as the great look of the lobby and variety and quality of our buffet menus and also the tight security measures put in place. With regards to condition of rooms, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We thank you for this great feedback which confirms that you enjoyed your stay in all aspects. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Abu Dhabi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was little bit surprised since my expectations were maybe too high. Probably if you lower your expectations from ''real'' Hilton standards, you may be just satisfied. Location is also not the best one from security point of view and if you do not have local friend or tour guide accompanying you, do not even try going out of the hotel. Service is not bad, sometime slow but this is compensated by friendliness of the staff. Would I come back again? This is the question....

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment regarding security and are very sorry that the atmosphere in the vicinity of the hotel did not meet your expectation during your recent stay. However, we have enhanced our security around the hotel to highest levels to ensure that all our guests feel as safe as possible.

With regards to the slow service, I apologize for the inconvenience caused as this is not acceptable as per the Hilton standards. I have shared your crucial comments with all team members concerned for corrective measures to be taken. However I am pleased to note that our team members’ friendliness complimented your stay and like to thank you for your fine comment.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stayed at the hilton because could not find an accommodation with the Intercontinental.. and well even though the location is in the city with a few eating places right outside the hotel and the lobby looks great, found the rooms to be old and in need of refurbishment, especially the bathrooms need an upgrade. The staff was cordial and the breakfast had a few options but overall I'd rate the hotel as ok

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 25, 2012

We have noted your fine comments about our team members which I have gladly shared with them as well as the great look of the lobby. With regards to condition of rooms, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Heidi KleineMoeller
The Hague, Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Hilton Nairobi, which I think doesn't live up to the standards you may expect from a 4 star hotel, it's outdated, my bed was not very comfortable, not even after I received an additional mattress layer that should have made the bed softer. Bathroom is outdated but clean. They charge USD 20 per device per day for internet, so you won't use your iPad or phone, if you also use your laptop because they will overcharge you. Staff is friendly which compensates some of the minor points, but I will not come back here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment regarding general condition of the hotel and the comfort of your bed and I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay. I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding the internet, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Likewise, we are glad to note your fine compliments about the friendliness of our team members. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

In case you do change your mind, I do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide and re-establish your faith in our hotel.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

With kind regards,

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

We only stayed one night and were not unhappy with our stay, but the rooms were straight out of the 80s and could definitely use some updating -- especially for the price.

The location was convenient, the staff all friendly, and the hotel felt safe. So the basics were covered. I'm not sure how this would compare to other hotels in the city, I'm mostly comparing to other Hiltons in the world -- and by those standards, there is some work to do.

That said, I appreciated the ease and convenience of staying here, the hot shower, and the coffee shop in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sdtraveler67
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 20, 2012

We have noted your comments regarding our rooms and I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We are glad to note that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and I have shared your compliments with our team members. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

With kind regards.

Martin Voskamp
Delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

It was my first hotel stay in Africa, was excited anxious and nervous so booked the best brand for my stay, I could figure out from my home in India. I found that hotel in a good crowd and safe location next to the high court, parliament and other govt buildings. I was little disappointed as room was very old and small with old faded carpets, huge desktop size TV and no indian channels and food. Yet It had other all expected amenities. It is in the central of Nairobi, about a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport with 24 hour electricity, good Internet and Air Conditioning. The staff was very helpful and follow double check to ensure services are given, which you would not find in most places in Africa (I realized later, after visiting some more countries and places in Africa). Checkin was efficient and painless. Rooms are small until u r upgraded to a good one room. bathroom are also small with old fittings. My first room had a bad fittings in the bathroom and i had to hear music (noisy water pipe) whole of the night. Breakfast was excellent with huge variety. Later on request, they srated serving one indian dish also in the lunch dinner. Pool, spa, gym was excellent. Gym dude was very dynamic and used to ensure including activities like aerobics, yoga etc even for guest like us staying there for few days.

Room Tip: request for upgrade and room near lift are better in terms of accessibility otherwise all room are s...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment about the size and age of rooms, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, but I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We have also noted your comment about the Indian TV channels and would like to advise that we have ND TV channel 25 an Indian channel. We sincerely apologize that you did not have this information during your stay with us.

We thank you for the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality and as well glad that you your gym activities. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.