“safe and decent hotel in nairobi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #29 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Maastricht
“safe and decent hotel in nairobi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed at the hilton for a total of 3 nights .First time in a standart room ,second time i got un upgrade to an executive room which was much better.
I have to say that the hotel is quite old and outdated ,in need of refurbishment.
The room the bed,the bath tiles is from the 70`. The staff was great ,very well trained and behaved.The hotel is heavily guarded ,metal detectors,barriers lots of security guards etc. I ate at the traveller restaurant one night,the food was very good and delicious.
The taxi transfer from the airport for me was 20 USD,which is quite alot i think .When i went to take my suitcase,which did not arrive with me but on the following day i bargained 25 USD from the hotel to the airport and back. So if you are good you could get a better price. The area around the hotel is quite good during the day i found it quite interesting,you have the shops and offices on one side and the real stuff on the other where you could experience africa in a more authentic way. we went to the Carnivore restaurant on the last day which is quite a good place ,although i was expecting even more exotic meats.
So in general the hotel is good but i would not give it 5 stars.It is a very good option for a first time visitor to nairobi though ,since it is very safe and well guarded.
And yes i will stay there again next time i go to nairobi.

Room Tip: the executive rooms are obviously better
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards to the status of our facility and need for renovation, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We highly appreciate your compliment about the hospitality of our team members, good food in travellers restaurant and our security within the hotel. We are also pleased to learn that you liked the location. We thank you for confirming to us that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is the most centrally located property in Nairobi with best shopping areas and malls nearby. Breakfast was lovely which is rare as we are vegetarians,and very friendly and helpful smiling staff. I had a great time....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members friendliness and warm welcome, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you enjoyed our breakfast and as well liked the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Despite the mixed reviews I was happy with this hotel. I like the old charm and hope that when they remodel that they not loose it. The elevators were especially neat and please, don't change them. They have a lot of character.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with. We have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home as well as constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We appreciate your comment about our facility and I am glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Yours sincerely

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I am sorry to tell, but this is not what i ve expected to be as a part of the hilton chain. The entire building is poorly managed, rooms are clean but their quality is much close to a low level 2 stars hotel in the U.S rather than a 4 star international as it should be.
Bathrooms are old and poorly managed. In my case, for example, it was impossible for me to do a bath, due to the poor condition of the facility. TV was not working. Internet daily access cost 20USD for 24 hours while the competition give it for free.
Definetly a place to keep as an emergency choice, nothing else.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment with regards of our rooms status, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, but I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding internet services charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary
You also mentioned that the TV in your room was not working. I sincerely apologize for this should never be the case. Immediately our chief engineer undertook repairs and I can now confirm that its perfectly working. However, I do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I like to be reasonable when reviewing anything but on this occasion I feel compelled to be forthright. I stayed here on a business trip back in July and cannot understand why it has so many good reviews. In a nutshell, for the price this hotel is a disgrace, trading on the Hilton name at prices that are simply extraordinary for what you get (for all the wrong reasons). The rooms are small, dank, dark and with decor from the 1980s (if not earlier).

I wouldn't mind so much if it cost £30/night (which is what you'd pay Travelodge) but $200 USD? Seriously, the condition of the rooms is no better than Travelodge. How Hilton can do this is beyond me. I think a lot of people probably stay here because they're on the Hilton rewards program but given the condition of the place I really wouldn't bother. Hilton really need to refurbish this Hotel or drop the prices, anything else is naked opportunism (lack of decent competition) and makes me want to avoid Hiltons from now on.

I would have given in 1 star were it not for the very polite, attendant staff and decent restaurant (which is expensive by the way).

Stay at the Nairobi Sankara which my colleagues tell me an amazing place and has rightly won awards.

Room Tip: Stay away from smoking rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank spaceman_rj
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted, and agree with your comment that our property is dated and needs refurbishment, and I have the pleasure to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. As we cannot know when exactly you did stay with us, it is highly likely that the hotel experienced high occupancy levels as September as a whole was a busy period in Nairobi, and prices do fluctuate with the level of occupancy. A USD 30 dollar rate one cannot find in Nairobi I am afraid.

We thank you for fine compliments you make about the restaurant and the hospitality of our team members, which I have personally shared with them, and we do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Martin Voskamp
Guatape, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

After a 24 hours journey from Ethiopia, we have decided to splurge at Hilton and recharge our spirit. Location, breakfast, lobby, and staff were perfect. However, the rooms were a bit blend, old, and small. It's not terrible. But I thought for what we paid, the room would be a little better. I guess hotels in Nairobi is overall towards the pricey side. The next best one after Hilton might be Meridian which we spent the next night at. Get the deluxe suite. Not bad for the value.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars

We have noted your comment with regards to our property status and the prices charged. As we cannot know when exactly you did stay with us, it is highly likely that the hotel experienced high occupancy levels as September as a whole was a busy period in Nairobi, and prices do fluctuate with the level of occupancy. As for the blend rooms qualification, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come
We have also noted your positive comments about our team members hospitality, breakfast and the lobby. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Martin Voskamp
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Well located and reflective of the Hilton standard..a little tired, but a standout in Nairobi. Rooms aren't great and you just get the sense it trades on location and name alone and is kept busy by the business clientele and other official visitors to the city.

It's clean, facilities are good and if you need to spend some time in downtown Nairobi this will do...bland but beats its uninspiring competitors

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 28, 2011

We thank you for the positive comment you have made about our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With regards of our hotel being a little tired, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.