“needs some updates”
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #31 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel was nice enough, clean but very old. Hasn't been updated in 20 years probably. Restaurants are ok, but don't expect fast service. Staff was very nice overall. I would probably look to stay somewhere else if I come to Nairobi again, but would stay here if I had to.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards to the status of our facility, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We appreciate your compliment about our room suites and restaurant and hospitality of our team members and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 26, 2011

it was a good place to stay,neat and clean.But the room are not upto the modern standards as of now but you can have a comfortable stay ......amazing food...and transport is available just outside the door step of the hotel.

Room Tip: best room would be on the top floors from where u can see the city view
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your good comment that our rooms are neat, clean and a good place to stay though not modern but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Likewise, we have noted the compliments you have made about our food and the convenient availability of transportation. We are glad that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Sure it needs a complete overhaul but it's clean, the staff were very friendly and the food was fresh and well priced. I left an expensive pen in the bar and I got a call from to say it had been found and it was brought to my room. I don't think that would happen in many places.

Would I stay again..yes I would.

Room Tip: Sign up to Hilton HHonours
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

We thank you for taking the time to write to us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment with regards to the status of our facility and need for a complete overhaul, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
We are glad to note that you appreciated our clean rooms, fresh and well priced food and we very much appreciate your gratitude towards our team member hospitality and especially when you lost a very expensive pen while at the bar. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed here on two separate times. Consistent service, good check in staff..(Moses very competent and courtly gentleman). On the second tinme around the staff were very personable and held their cool when some Indian Diplomat guests made an axx of themselves. Good training

Breakfast was very good too. Internet a rip off at $20.00 a day. Dont make phone calls from here. Get a cheap phone from SafariCom and a sim card for kshs 50/- or US0.50 cents and 1 cent a minute for calls to the USA or UK.
Rooms a little dated but clean and tidy. Hotel overlooks the City Centre. Good show!!

Room Tip: Dated but ok
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
hiltonnairobi, Director Of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our internet charges, and I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Nevertheless, we highly appreciate the fine comments you made about our consistent service, good breakfast and hospitality of our team members and it was my upmost pleasure to share your kind feedback with our teams. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Pretty standard chain hotel, average furnishings and service, decent sized rooms, good location

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

We appreciate the fine comment you make about our property and our hospitality, which is a confirmation that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I'm Nairobi every month or two for business and usually stay at the Fairview or the Country Lodge, but both were booked this trip. The Stanley was recommended but far too expensive for just a bed and a bar, so I opted for the Hilton.

What an incredible mistake. Nearly double the price of the Country Lodge but with neither breakfast nor free internet ($16/day and slower than the CLodge's free link and I had to fix the wiring myself). 50% higher than the Fairview but without the atmosphere nor the great restaurants.

Nairobi has one of the best climates in the world, but the windows at the Hilton don't open and the A/C is louder than a V8.

All of this is par for any major Africa city and I'm fine with it. But what motivates me to complain is the $15 gin and tonic at the bar. This is wrong on so many levels. Insult to injury is that it was the cheap gin too! I will never ever return to this scam of a 70s monstrosity again and will never recommend it to a friend or foe. Just because of one rip-off too far.

Fairview and Country Lodge: I'm so sorry for have not booked sooner. Lesson well learned.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank therefromhere
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

We like to thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Nairobi and for the time taken to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our esteemed Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Regarding the price of our Gin and tonic at the bar, I’d like to inform you that we are at par with other 5 star hotels in Nairobi, however the local bars around the hotel will definitely be cheaper. Regarding the gin quality, we have a variety of gins available to choose from. We regret the one you were served was not as per your expectation.

Likewise we have noted that the AC in your room was louder, and I am sorry indeed for this should not be the case. However I have shared this information with our Chief engineer to check all the hotel rooms for the noise levels and service / repair them accordingly.

As for the rates, we appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton for both Pre and Post nights stay in June as part of a safari package. We felt the hotel was convenient, clean, and served our needs. We asked upon arrival for a higher floor room than we were initially given, and had no problem getting the same 17th floor room with a view both times! The room was very nice and comfortable. We had an early breakfast one morning in the restaurant before leaving on safari and they weren't too keen on letting us in 5 minutes early, but we convinced them to anyways. We also requested a pre-boxed breakfast as we had a very early start to the airport on our last day given to us. We had ordered chicken sandwiches with fries from the Cafe American 2 different times which was very good and reasonably priced. We were too tired for a sit down meal and brought it up to our room. Overall, we had a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor upon arrival.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poconoprincess13
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We do appreciate the good compliments you make about our hotel rooms cleanliness and comfort and the food in our restaurants. It is with pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with your overall experience, believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely