“Great Service, Rooms Need Updating Though”
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #28 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
London
“Great Service, Rooms Need Updating Though”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a few nights in August 2010. The location was excellent; right in the city centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms need modernising as they were terrible. Very old fashioned and in need of a major refurb. I needed to request another room as the first room I was given was terrible; the lights were not even working.
Fortunately, I was told that the hotel was having a refurb this year. The hotel is very over priced for what it is, but the service is excellent.

• Stayed August 2010
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

I have noted your comment about the status of the room and the lights that were not working and we are indeed sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. However, I we are pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel.

I do appreciate the compliments you have made about the team members' friendliness and helpfulness and have gladly shared these with them. We appreciate your critical but constructive feedback; this will guide us to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
woodenbowl
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My wife and I elected to stay in the Hilton before a flight out of Kenya. We paid $260/night which seems like a lot for a double room in Nairobi. The room is tiny and in need of refurbishment. You can hear sounds of the karaoke across the street from behind the 6th floor windows. The shower is missing its head and sprays water all over the bathroom willy-nilly. The check-in service was superb and the breakfast is quite good.

Room Tip: Hilton Honors members are well-treated.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
We appreciate your feedback since this goes a long in helping us ensure that our guest expectations are met by delivering quality and consistent service all the time.

We have however noted your comments regarding the rate and apologize that this did not meet your expectations. Regarding the room, we are sincerely sorry that it was not up to standard and would like to inform you that there is progress with our master plan preparation which will factor in most of the issues that inconvenienced you during your stay.

We however are very glad to note that you were pleased with our check-in experiences which was a pleasure to share with our teams as well.

Thank you once more for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and the Hilton Worldwide.

With kind regards,

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 17, 2011

This was my first visit to Kenya and had booked Hilton. I was expected to stay in Kenya for 5-6 months for a project.
Check-in on sep 7th. Its a very old hotel, carpets are dirty, rooms are horrible I just cant believe that this is acutally a 5 star rated hilton. Not sure why hilton brand is given to such a bad hotel. The state of the hotel is very bad.
The rooms have old furniture, tables & chairs. I was upgraded to a Executive room by the duty manager because I was expected to stay for a long time.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
The restaurants (Travellers) was excellent. I really liked the arabic nights theme.
Albeit food was excellent, there was a instance where the food prepared in the night buffet was served in the morning breakfast.
Due to all the above I checked out of the hotel and went to crowne plaza

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Samarth C
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment about the carpets, furniture, rooms and the hotel in general. I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

Your comment about our food served during the night buffet being the same food served during breakfast on the following morning was noted with concern and was shared immediately with our Executive Chef for corrective measures to be taken. This should not be the case whatsoever and we are sincerely sorry.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with very good experiences from the friendliness and helpfulness of the team members and at the Travellers Restaurant.

Thank you once more for you open and honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Reviewed April 9, 2011

This is 3 star accommodation at 5 star prices! The location is good if you work in finance and the staff are friendly and helpful but this is far far below what I consider to be Hiltons usual standard . The rooms are awfully dated and have even a musty smell to them. The bathrooms are unimpressive and all in all the accomidation leaves much to be desired . They are charging five star prices for two and a half star conditions . Not impressed , would not recommend .

• Stayed April 2011
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 14, 2011

We have noted your comment that our rooms are dated, have musty smell and bathrooms not impressive, I sincerely apologize for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay. However, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. I have also shared your comment with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure proper aeration of room to remove the smell in the meantime.

I do appreciate the fine compliments you make about the team members' friendliness and have gladly shared these with them. Thank you also for your critical but constructive feedback; this will guide us to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Martin Voskamp
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I stayed here on arrival in Nairobi. I was picked up at the airport by friendly helpful staff and the hotel arranged for my forward journey onto Nakuru utilising their preferred travel agent. This was all arranged in advance via email.

Hotel is in a great location and the food and service was excellent. The room was fairly dated however it was clean and comfortable so no complaints.

Recommended for solo travellers who may be worried about arriving in Nairobi on your own.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you enjoyed the hospitality of our team members, and appreciate the fine compliments you make about the arrangements made for your travel to Nakuru. Likewise for the food, the clean and comfortable room as well as the hotel's location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth. And for that, we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Heid KleineMoeller
maui, hi
Reviewed April 2, 2011

As many have said on Trip Advisor, this Hilton does show its age, however, that is what makes it so charming. We stayed here 11 years ago and enjoyed it, but this time was even better. The service is unbelievable (like all the hotels where we stayed in Kenya), every time you turn around there is someone who wants to help you.
My husband is a Diamond member, so we had access to the executive lounge which has gourmet food and drinks all the time.
We had a suite, which was perfect for our family of 3 (we actually had trouble finding a hotel in Nairobi that would accomodate more than 2 people without having to purchase 2 rooms). The suite was New York City size (small, but bigger than a standard room), but had 2 bathrooms!
The gym had everything you needed, and my husband and son loved the outdoor pool (it was warm enough to swim in, even though it was raining cats and dogs!) They also said the staff at the pool seemed to be expert botanists, teaching them about the plants of Kenya.
Finally, many on Trip Advisor have said that they were worried that Nairobi is dangerous (maybe because of all the security in the hotel?). We walked around the city all day for 2 days with no problem. If you don't leave your hotel, you are missing out. Also, Kenya has a mandatory death sentence for robbery with violence.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Regarding security around the city, It is just by bad luck that guests or residents get mugged, though in most cases it depends on areas visited.

Heidi KleineMoeller
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Good and safe hotel in the middle of the city. Nice ambiance and atmosphere. Rooms are clean and good with a good service level. We stay here only for one night. But I can recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted that you enjoyed your recent stays in all aspects; safety, ambience, atmosphere, good and clean rooms as well as the service level. Believe me, comments such as yours make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We appreciate your trust, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Heidi KleineMoeller