“A 2 star hotel. Does not meet Hilton Standard.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #29 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“A 2 star hotel. Does not meet Hilton Standard.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

This was my first visit to Kenya and had booked Hilton. I was expected to stay in Kenya for 5-6 months for a project.
Check-in on sep 7th. Its a very old hotel, carpets are dirty, rooms are horrible I just cant believe that this is acutally a 5 star rated hilton. Not sure why hilton brand is given to such a bad hotel. The state of the hotel is very bad.
The rooms have old furniture, tables & chairs. I was upgraded to a Executive room by the duty manager because I was expected to stay for a long time.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
The restaurants (Travellers) was excellent. I really liked the arabic nights theme.
Albeit food was excellent, there was a instance where the food prepared in the night buffet was served in the morning breakfast.
Due to all the above I checked out of the hotel and went to crowne plaza

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Samarth C
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment about the carpets, furniture, rooms and the hotel in general. I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

Your comment about our food served during the night buffet being the same food served during breakfast on the following morning was noted with concern and was shared immediately with our Executive Chef for corrective measures to be taken. This should not be the case whatsoever and we are sincerely sorry.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with very good experiences from the friendliness and helpfulness of the team members and at the Travellers Restaurant.

Thank you once more for you open and honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Heidi Kleine-Moeller
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

This is 3 star accommodation at 5 star prices! The location is good if you work in finance and the staff are friendly and helpful but this is far far below what I consider to be Hiltons usual standard . The rooms are awfully dated and have even a musty smell to them. The bathrooms are unimpressive and all in all the accomidation leaves much to be desired . They are charging five star prices for two and a half star conditions . Not impressed , would not recommend .

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment that our rooms are dated, have musty smell and bathrooms not impressive, I sincerely apologize for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay. However, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. I have also shared your comment with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure proper aeration of room to remove the smell in the meantime.

I do appreciate the fine compliments you make about the team members' friendliness and have gladly shared these with them. Thank you also for your critical but constructive feedback; this will guide us to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Martin Voskamp
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I stayed here on arrival in Nairobi. I was picked up at the airport by friendly helpful staff and the hotel arranged for my forward journey onto Nakuru utilising their preferred travel agent. This was all arranged in advance via email.

Hotel is in a great location and the food and service was excellent. The room was fairly dated however it was clean and comfortable so no complaints.

Recommended for solo travellers who may be worried about arriving in Nairobi on your own.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you enjoyed the hospitality of our team members, and appreciate the fine compliments you make about the arrangements made for your travel to Nakuru. Likewise for the food, the clean and comfortable room as well as the hotel's location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth. And for that, we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Heid KleineMoeller
maui, hi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

As many have said on Trip Advisor, this Hilton does show its age, however, that is what makes it so charming. We stayed here 11 years ago and enjoyed it, but this time was even better. The service is unbelievable (like all the hotels where we stayed in Kenya), every time you turn around there is someone who wants to help you.
My husband is a Diamond member, so we had access to the executive lounge which has gourmet food and drinks all the time.
We had a suite, which was perfect for our family of 3 (we actually had trouble finding a hotel in Nairobi that would accomodate more than 2 people without having to purchase 2 rooms). The suite was New York City size (small, but bigger than a standard room), but had 2 bathrooms!
The gym had everything you needed, and my husband and son loved the outdoor pool (it was warm enough to swim in, even though it was raining cats and dogs!) They also said the staff at the pool seemed to be expert botanists, teaching them about the plants of Kenya.
Finally, many on Trip Advisor have said that they were worried that Nairobi is dangerous (maybe because of all the security in the hotel?). We walked around the city all day for 2 days with no problem. If you don't leave your hotel, you are missing out. Also, Kenya has a mandatory death sentence for robbery with violence.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Regarding security around the city, It is just by bad luck that guests or residents get mugged, though in most cases it depends on areas visited.

Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Good and safe hotel in the middle of the city. Nice ambiance and atmosphere. Rooms are clean and good with a good service level. We stay here only for one night. But I can recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted that you enjoyed your recent stays in all aspects; safety, ambience, atmosphere, good and clean rooms as well as the service level. Believe me, comments such as yours make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We appreciate your trust, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

The Hotel offers good hospitality and food.

It's among the best hotel present in Nairobi. The Tower offer you the entire city view. Located at the prime location, it boasts of all the banks, eating joints and money exchange in proximity.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
West Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

this is a nice hotel but for the price nice doesn't really cut it. Since I spend most of my time in the room when I'm at the hotel for business that is where I expect price to show. Rooms are outdated and my bathroom area was in bad shape. Rooms are also very small (my colleagues room was much bigger but he was upgraded). However, it has a wonderful breakfast, and the staff was helpful and friendly. They also have a pretty nice business center. As with any hotel check your bill before you leave (each of my colleagues had an extra charge for something on their bill).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
It was a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi, and we thank you for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment with regards of our Hotel status, I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I am however pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding incorrect billing, I sincerely apologize for this should not be the case. Please be assured that your feedback was immediately was shared with our Front Desk manager to put corrective measures in place to avoid this from happening again to you or to any other hotel guest.

We are very glad to note your gratitude to our team members hospitality, and your comments about our breakfast and business centre. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.