“My fantastic Experience as a "Volcanic Ash Victim"”

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #17 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed April 23, 2010

When I travelled to Kenya for a one day business trip I never thought I'd be stranded there for almost 7 days!! In any other situation this would be a nightmare! But the staff of InterContinental Nairobi really turned it around...I have yet to see a hotel who reacted so well to a natural disaster. The room attendants, the reception staff, the pool attendants, the waiters, even the chefs made me feel at home. Any updates from the airlines were duly communicated and they really emphathised with me. During my stay I was in one of their deluxe rooms which were really clean and comfortable. The only small issue I would comment on is that the internet was slightly slower than what I get at home - but it wasnt really a big deal. Please go experience what true hospitality is all about. Thank you to all the staff for making my experience as a "Volcanic Ash Victim" so much more bearable!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed March 31, 2010

We stayed here at the end of a recent trip to Kenya. After reading other reviews, I think some of the rooms must have been refurbished as our room was quite smart with very comfortable beds and duvets. We used the swimming pool and surrounding sunbeds which were very good. We were also quite happyy with the meals we enjoyed and the restaurant service. What let the hotel down in our opinion was the check in and check out - a very slow and laboured process! The service we received at the front desk was completely different to the excellent service we received elsewhere and definitely needs improvement.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank malcliz
Reviewed March 26, 2010

This was the start of our business tour of East Africa and we were put to a good start!
I thad all the services ,someof our colleaugues fromtrade delegation wanted tot ake to kenayan safari and they could manage through hotel.
Someof the staff , n fatc all those that I came across , they delivered the service before I contemplated.This was unusual as otherwise you get irritated with obswequeous[greedy, not genuine staff] . Hotelhad nice food , serives etc could make carrying out business more effectively. I thas all that you need ,moment you land in,bellboy is there and he takes you to counter then to room and expalins somefundamentals, and answers all your questions and where he can't ,he wd call upfromyr room itself and make sure you got satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stayed 6 days at this very good located luxury hotel, we were recieved very very helpfull and check-in was made in our suite, the staff was absolutely fantastic what ever we needed or asked for was solved immidiatly and with a big smile!
The Breakfast was very delicious and we could take it outside in the garden which my wife and me likes.
We have only good things to say and hope to return one day again!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

This probably once was a great 5* but it has not been maintained well. The rooms are more like a 3* hotel- adequate but worn, with musty, mildewy carpet (yuk), a stained bathtub, mildew on the rubber anti-slip bathmat, and a chipped sink. I couldn't get the shower to dispense water at an agreeable temperature.

Service is erratic- like using the wireless internet in your room requires getting a code for which you call guest services, who refer you to the business center, who call you back 10mins later. On top of that the internet pricing is silly- no 24r access available and pricey. The safe in my room was locked- they came to open it after i asked but it show the lack of attention to detail.

The gym was closed for an unspecified period when i was there- too bad if you took this 5* hotel because of its facilities. The outdoor pool is OK but I prefer the one at the Serena hotel.

What the hotel has going for it is the location- walking distance to shops, restaurants etc. Also nice are the large windows that open (with mosquito netting) as Nairobi's climate can be very pleasant so i just had the window open all day.

However, for this price i would expect better service and better facilities.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Hello_Bamboo
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Stayed at the end of a memorable Safari. Completely spoiled the holiday. The staff is not adequately trained. The housekeeping is non-existant. The room had the following defects- At least three lights were not working, no fridge or minibar, iron not working, torn towels, the recessed glass shelves in the bathroom missing. Don't seem to believe in turning down the bed at night, had to remind the housekeeping at 10.00 pm, wait 30 minutes and make the bed ourselves! The list is endless. Never expected a Intercontinental to be shabby.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DGPNQ
Reviewed February 20, 2010

During a recent safari to Kenya I spent a total of 3 nights at the Interconti.
Check in was efficient, all reservation details at hand, so I only had to sign and got my key card.
My room, rather my suite, was well appointed and lacked nothing I would have missed, and the amenities in the bathroom were absolutely complete, including shaver, toothbrush, sewing kit and quality soaps, shampoo and showergel.
I particularly enjoyed the firm matress and good pillows, which allowed me some good nights sleep.
Most appreciated was the access to the 'Club Lounge' on the sixth floor, where a small meeting room is at guests' disposal and where breakfast is served for IHG card holders or guests invited to the facility, as I was. Wireless internet is available for free in the lounge and the attending staff are very observant and extremely helpful. Snacks are available throughout the day, a happy hour in the evening gets one in the pre-dinner mood - with several theme restaurants on the ground floor leaving the taste buds satisfied.
Very good value, central location and a warm and friendly staff right across the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business