“passable !” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
london
“passable !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

rooms not ready upon our arrival , given tea and orange juice while we waited . waited for about 30 mins.
wanted to use the wireless internet in the room. not available until the evening !
room was a bit dated , furnishings need replacing . lots of dust /dirt near the window
Buffet by the pool was very nice, good food friendly service, ate in the italian restaurant . same there for food and service, and the main bar as well.
Had a semi power failure in the room, lamps ,phone , lighting worked , but tv and power for my laptop went off, eventually restored after two phone calls.
The staff at this hotel are very friendly and courteous, ,intercontinental need to spend some money on refurbishment and spend less on cosmetic things like , the air port style scanner at the entrance which seems to get ignored when it goes on or the securtity guard who checks vehicles with his mirror when he feels like it. the location is good, tha atmosphere created in the hotel is conducive. ie jazz band in the lobby bar in the evenings and there is a nice mix of business and leisure travellers

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank tcasLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I recently stayed at the Nairobi Inter-Continental. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The advised safely enjoying the area. The restaurant were great.

The Spa is in need of a complete make-over. It is poorly appointed. There were not towels in the shower area. The massage tables did not have a head support. There was not music to mask the noise of the machines in the gym. The floors were slippery and there were no robes forcing one to walk through the gym in a towel wrapped body. The massage therapists were good but, challenged with such a poorly appointed spa facility. The steam-room benches were covered in mold and mildew. Any inspection by the health authorities would shut this spa down. The gym employees did not down machinery after users.

The rooms were not clean. bedding was soiled. It took four hours for the management to give permission to the staff to change the bedding. Curtains were also badly stained and filthy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barbaradewitt
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

I recently stayed in the Intercontinental Hotel in Nairobi under 4 different reservations in September. The first night was booked on the Internet and it took them 2 hours, two different days to find their own records of the transaction. The next night we joined a tour and even though they had our names booked on their list could not find our rooms! Then came the ever changing bill accounting. We received 4 different printed copies of bills by several different managers working the front desk and they would never present us with our signed copies to verify what the charges were. At one point they charged us for 3 extra room nights!

The disparity between the level of service in the bars, restaurants, concierge, and bell staff (all quite excellent) and the front desk staff was shocking and the worst I have ever expereinced anywhere in the world. There were numerous communication problems: waiting 90 minutes for rooms that were booked in advance with our tour operator who had even arrived early to facilitate this; very poor data and record keeping that did not record who had made changes within their own systems. It was a nightmare in what should have been a fabulous hotel based on the food, lounges, poolside dining and otherwise very friendly and nice staff. We had two different spa treatments and really liked the masseurs but they had very inadequate facilities to work with: No robes, no slippers, and walking with wet feet the length of the entire workout room in a towel, dripping wet, to get to a spartan traetment room with hopital operating lighting and zero ambiance. They were also not proper tables with a hole for your head and face so end result for your neck was not as good as usual.

The final insult was after we complained of blood and body fluid stains on our bed spreads, they finally removed them after 3 hours of negotiation and gave us duvet covers. Several days later when we were again in the hotel tfor another stay they awarded us the very same room, stained bedspreads again on our beds and no other room could they find. Unbelieveable and not what I have come to think of as InterContinental standards. I asked about the management and was told they were Austrailian. The very last day we finally got a very good man at the front desk, Charles, who sorted everything out.

It seemed to my friend and I that the Kenya staff is working very hard and proud of their efforts while the management is not backing them up with the proper systems, attention to defferred maintenance, and other executive level decisions. My experience in the hotel was largely good but hugely oversahdowed by trying to deal with front desk.

It should be noted that it was very well secured with high attention to those concerns of safety. I absoultely felt very safe there and the staff was very proactive about calling your attention to keeping safe and how to do that. Overall, Nairobi seemed quite safe due to their attention to security.

• Stayed September 2009
    • 2 of 5 stars
Sudan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel in the period of 3 months since July to Sep. 2009. The first stay was a noisy one,. check in was slow and rooms were smelling of paint and I excused the poor service as a result of renovation. My sceodn stay was a night mare. I booked online and when I arrioved after waiting for over 40 minutes to get checked in. I requested and wqs told that I will be charged the USAID rate. a day before my departure I decided pay my bills as I was levaing early. Not only was I not charged the USAID rate as my identification was confirmed as an employee, but my bill has even shot up beyond the internet rate. The staff at the front desk was so slow and guest either checking in or out were so fed up. the Front office manager himself was a disgrace as he was busy doing one thing or the other and could not marshall nor direct his staff. It took me two hours to get hearing and even then I had to pay way over what I was entitled to. Checking out the next morning was another nightmare. the front office staff were very very slow processing check out information even for guest like me who had settled their accounts the previous day. Its either the PC and network server is old and obsolute or the staff were absoluetlyincompetent. I believe the latter was the case though. the staff will be attending to one customer and speaking on the phone to another and trying to help a third. the whole business is disorganised and I dare say that the hotel management should do a revamp of its staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Salamatu

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I visited this hotel twice over the 12 last months for business, and I must admit that, though there is nothing exceptionnal, I did not have any bad surprise either.

The staff is efficient, the hotel is well maintained. Rooms are clean and rather comfortable (deco a bit old fashioned though).

The breakfast is acceptable, but do not expect anything memorable memorable. The Italian restaurant is smart, and the food very good.

Finally, I guess it is a good option downtown Nairobi

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Avignon, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

for 15 years i was a loyal "client" to this "old style" 5 star hotel, 3/ 4/5 times a year i would stay there on my business and leisure travels alone or with my wife and friends and family...i knew all the african staff from the door men, the gym, cleaners chefs, waiters etc etc except the new " white " arrogant managers, that chased me away...

we arrived late one sunday night in january with my wife, i checked in
before going to the room i noticed a rate on the check in card being usd 380 exclusive tax and breakfast ( which was never my favorite , lack of creativity, taste and flavor...)
they had simply tripled my 'special' rate without any notice, the poor 'clubmember' receptionist> my friend jasmine could not do any thing , also it was sunday night 11pm, the white management was not available till after the monday morning meeting...

so as a matter of principle i said: ok i leave, i called the serena hotel , with an all african management, that could accommodate us for the same rate as i used to pay at the intercon...9 months and 3 visits later i am still a very happy guest at the serena hotel in nairobi, that gives you a real touch of high end africa...

the next day i wrote email to the general manager, it took at least a week to get a reply:" we will find a friendly solution..." some weeks later i received a mail from the room division manager with a new proposal being usd 280 without tax and breakfast
paying actually a bid more then half of this at the serena hotel the loyalty with the intercon collapsed ... in particular after the mail that « if it does not fit my budget go elsewhere »
again it is a matter of principle, 15 years of satisfaction gone...
nevertheless it is not my style to discourage potential guest, but be aware of this way of handling the facts...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Annapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was my first trip to Nairobi, so it may be that all western chain hotels are over-priced, but this one was startling. With taxes, my very ordinary room was over US$400/night. I ate several meals in the Indian restaurant where the food and service were excellent. The executive lounge on the 6th floor was a nice place for a drink in the early evening. Secretary of State Clinton stayed here during the AGOA Forum, so I assume that the security is good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business