InterContinental Nairobi
$156
Eka Hotel Nairobi(Nairobi)
$145
1,166 results
All reviewsindian restaurantthe club loungeterrace restaurantpool barroom servicepool sidecentral locationbusiness triprooms are nicebreakfast buffet isenjoyed my staymasai marasecurityihgsafariconciergekicc
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am a regular traveller to Kenya and obviously Nairobi is always a stopover, or more. I don't always stay at the InterCon, but still many times per year. With the manic traffic (compounded by idiotic control through the circles), you really don't want to spend more time in suspended animation, so location is important and the InterCon is one of the first decent hotels you can access in CBD. It is a large property and during my current stay appeared to be chockers, with more than one conference. Still the staff just seemed to get it right. I eat at two of the restaurants and both experiences were just fine. This was during the dreadful Westgate tragedy and I have to say my heart went out to each and every one of them, for putting on a brave face and a positive demeanor, caring for customers, when they had every reason to have their minds elsewhere. The rooms are comfortable and general attention pretty good. A reliable place to stay for business and also as a transit point if you are on safari. There are plenty of options and I've tried them all. This is a good product which has progressively improved.

Room Tip: Go high and away from the elevators. All of them are pretty good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear David Graham S,

I am glad that our staff got everything right for you. I am also happy that you liked our location and found our rooms comfortable.
We hope to see you back soon

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel is very nice. & is in a very good place, however, I knew that they have new rooms, well decorated with new LCDs, but I visited the hotel twice and in both times, I was given an old room with a conventional TV.
But the food was very good, & the team was professional & nice,
The GYM is not up to my expectations.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ahmedamr80,

How nice to know that you found our food very good and the team very professional and nice.
The new rooms are usually on high demand. Kindly let us know in advance of your preference and we will arrange it for you.

Regards

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for the past week or so, but the Westgate mall terrorist attack has brought this review to the forefront for us. We stayed at the Intercontinental for about three nights before our safaris, and one night afterwards. Like you, we read many of the reviews before we left on our trip, and were not sure what to expect. First of all, yes, there are two wings of the hotel, one is newer than the other. Yes, the bathrooms of the older wing could do with some updating, but if that is what your tour group paid for, then that is the room you get I guess. But that said, the room was comfortable and clean....and after a very long flight, the bed was a joy to slide into. When we returned to the Intercontinental after about two of half weeks of being on safari, we were warmly greeted like long lost friends, and upgraded to the new wing for our one final night. Yes, the new wing is nicer and newer....the bathroom was more modern...but the same general comfort was afforded in both wings. Where this hotel stands out though...is in the service. We found that the service throughout the hotel was fabulous....friendly people wanting to make sure that your stay at the Intercontinental was a good experience. From the front desk, to the bar service, restaurant service, the business centre, and the shops.....virtually every contact we made was a pleasant one. The breakfast buffet (hot and cold, and cooked to order) was a great way to start the day. Please take the time to try and connect with the people serving you....they are charming and are delighted if you show an interest in them...they will usually respond with wonderful smiles and share little bits of their life with you if you are interested. I want to mention a few stellar people (there are more, but sadly we cannot remember all of their names...we wish we could remember the name of the great guy on the front desk who gave us the room upgrade when we returned from safari...but you know who you are). There is Samson, the concierge who is big, joyful and willing to organize anything for you...and keep you safe. Samson personally walked us to a nearby Art Gallery....what better service could you expect? Also at the concierge desk is a great guy named Felix....a delightful man who helps you with whatever you need. Be sure to get to know these two people...they can help you with your stay. At the pool restaurant one night, we could not have been in better and friendlier hands than our server Michael...all smiles, moving the little fire to beside our table to keep us warm, showing me all the bottles of wine by the glass for our selection. Just a great experience.
I have not mentioned security....but that is very important. This hotel does everything possible to keep both the guests and the staff safe. I have read postings where people have complained about the high level of security you need to go through to enter the hotel.....security gates, luggage scanners, personal scanners, lots of guards etc. Well, I am sure you will certainly appreciate that after the events of this past weekend at the Westgate Mall. My wife and are are most appreciative that the hotel valued our safety so much. I feel sorry for the people diligently working away to assure that the guests at the hotel have a great stay because I now think that the recent act of terrorism will affect tourism in Nairobi, and as a result will likely affect the occupancy rate at the Intercontinental and other fine hotels. If you are going on safari, I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Nairobi. Thanks to everyone at the hotel and we wish for all of you to stay safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MDCFMW

Dear MDCFMW,

We thank you for your review. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Nairobi a leader in excellence.
We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel just for one night on our way to safari. The location is great and the room was good however it was a Friday when we stayed in the hotel and the noise from the disco across the road was crazy, it literally sounded as though it was in our room. It didn't finish till 3am which made it really difficult to sleep. If you stay here on a weekend make sure you ask for a quiet room not on the street side.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is away from the street side
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear EmmaH01101981

We are happy that you found our location great.
It is sad that your stay was affected by the noise from the disco across the road. Usually any function taking place in our neighboring conference centre is licensed hence we are limited in how far we can control it. We however provide notice to our guests and also do our best to block guests away from affected rooms.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights before living for the safari.

Pluses:
- The hotel has a great location in the center of Nairobi, also close to Uhuru Park.
- Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.
- Breakfast was good with a variety of selections.
- The room was fairly clean and comfortable.
- The hotel has an outside bar where smoking is permitted (otherwise there are few places were smoking is permitted in Nairobi, even on the street it is forbidden)

Minuses:
- The price was very high for my budget.
- Paid for 5 stars hotel, got more of a 4 stars standard.
- Room was ok, but the bathroom was average clean.

During our three nights stay, the president of Nigeria came to stay here, so indeed it is the place where presidents stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nicoleta I

We are grateful for your comprehensive review. We appreciate your recognition of our location, friendly staff, great Breakfast, comfortable room and the smoking options.

We would be glad to negotiate a special rate for your next stay. Kindly contact our reservations agent directly on e-mail: reservations.icnairobi@ihg.com.