“Noisy old rooms but friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Nairobi

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #18 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Switzerland
“Noisy old rooms but friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a recent work trip. Whereas I found all the staff to be very friendly and very helpful, unfortunately that quality was not of the same high standard when it came to the actual rooms. I stayed on the 4th floor towards the end of the hallway, which meant I was sleeping right next to one of the city's main traffic arteries. If the windows were well isolated that would have been no problem, but whether i had them open or closed actually did not make a difference, so serious traffic noise...and all night, as Nairobi is infamous for its traffic jams. Sleeping with earplugs is not what you'd expect having to do at a 5-star hotel.
The rooms could also really do with an upgrade; furnishings, bathrooms, carpets have all seen better days and would really benefit from a refresh.
However, I should add to these comments, that the staff at the hotel will go out of their way to be friendly and helpful - which is always a big plus to me. The breakfast was also very nice, big selection and for everyone's tastes.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, if there are any with new windows (ie isolation) request one of those.
    • 4 of 5 stars
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Evelyn,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi. We truly value your feedback about our friendly staffs who go out of their way to help, the variety and choice of breakfast across the board.

I have gone through each line of your feedback and regret to note that your experience was unpleasant, due to the condition and location of your room. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction. We will strive to ensure service improvement according to your comments.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind observations and feedback as it will help us to improve our facilities and service to guests in order to achieve the highest level of service excellence.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome and serve you again at InterContinental Nairobi.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, UT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Where do I begin with the disappointment I have had with this hotel? The glitz and glamour of the hotel lobby and piano bar quickly fade as you discover rooms that shows the age of this hotel. Having just finished an East Africa tour of 19 days I boasted to my group how excited I was to get to this hotel and relax as we departed Tanzania. Check in went okay and than I waited 3 turns to get into an elevator as 2 of the 4 were out of service, but fixed the next day. As we began tour the next day I discovered that one of our rooms had mold through out the ceiling and tub, and cockroaches. Another had 2 box springs instead of a mattress, another bed broke as the gentleman sat on it. All were switched rooms. I slept with an ipod the first night due to all the hammering going on the other side of my wall. The next two days I would be awaken by drills going through the mortar of my wall. The breakfast and dinner food is average and if you want to swim in the pool you are the dining entertainment as the pool is surrounded by two restaurants. The front desk service treats you as an annoyance no matter how politely and smiley you try to be when trying to fix problems. (you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, just not here). I asked to use the business center to print a passengers flight info that had just been changed and I was required to purchase an hour minimum usage, of which I cannot log in and out to use. I must sit here and use the hour I paid for, when I would rather be eating dinner. So that was the last straw. I am using my hour to write this review. However, I will say the dining staff are delightful, as well as the staff in the basement. Hidden in this dark, dank, outdated and grungy basement is a gem of a Masseuse named Pauline. Best massage ever. You can skip the aroma therapy, I didn't smell a thing, but her Swedish massage is well worth it. Another kind gentleman, Hillary, was of utmost help at all times in the gym. Other than a few polite staff this hotel was an over priced Motel 6. It does not uphold the name of Intercontinental. Having been at the Cairo Intercontinental which was everything and more, this Nairobi hotel is a sham.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1 Thank Heather G
Dear nationaltravelers,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us here on TripAdvisor.

I regret to note your disappointment due to the condition of the hotel facilities and internet service. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused to your comfort during your stay.

Your review helps us to identify and target problem areas and we take every measure to correct each area.

Hopefully you will give us another opportunity to serve you again and regain your trust.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Accra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

In the middle of the city center, good location with access to nice restaurants. Food quality is good with friendly staff. Big screen not worth the effort though tried watching a championship match with very little luck. Food in Kenya is not spicy so for those with a spicy taste buds take the note ;). The chef went out of his way to give us some to source to make our food taste better.

Room Tip: Stayed here for a week, service quality was good, though sometimes below par. Rooms were clean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Daniel T,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi. I greatly appreciate you taking time to post this review about our hotel.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your entire stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the InterContinental Nairobi on our Friendly Planet Safari and were pleased with our accommodations. The king-sized bed was comfortable and while some updating such as new curtains and bathroom fixtures would go a long way, the room was quiet and clean. Staff work hard to keep up the facility and everyone is friendly and helpful. The location is perfect to be able to see a bit of the city and visit the market; security at the hotel is impressive and made us feel safe. The breakfast buffet is beyond compare--extensive, tasty, and a variety like none other. The grounds are kept up and are beautiful; being close to the stately Parliament buildings evokes a sense of Kenyan pride. We enjoyed our stay and hope to come back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kahanac
Dear kahanac,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi.

I am delighted to note that our quality of breakfast and friendliness of our colleagues met your expectations.

I look forward to an opportunity to be of service to you in future.

Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month and I had issues with the room service. I was served the wrong menu on 2 occasions out of 4 orders that I would have placed during my stay.

The chef personally apologized but I hope they are able to sort this out asap to ensure pleasant experience for guests going forward.

the hotel is centrally located in nairobi city and is best if you are traveling for business and have meetings in the central business district.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear SunilBangalore,

I am happy that you have appreciated one of InterContinental Nairobi assets among many others - great location.

On the other hand, let me apologize for your dissatisfaction with room service. Rest assured that this is not our level of service and that proper action has been done to prevent such situations from recurring.

I hope for many more opportunities to welcome you back here at Intercontinental Nairobi.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

On a very short stay, 2 nights only, after having travelled Africa from East to West...I was exhausted anf arrived in the middle of the night to leave 2 days later at 4 in the morning.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Restaurants very good with fresh food.
Room very neat and clean.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear CeeLoo1974,

I truly appreciate your comments on Trip advisor and there is no better motivator than the praise of a happy guest. It is great to hear that your expectations were met to your complete satisfaction.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Intercontinental Nairobi is a decent hotel. The only problems I encountered were the elevators which the staff seem to use as service elevators. You stand around waiting for an extremely long time waiting for the elevator only to find it full of cleaning carts, or staff carrying towels etc. The outdoor restaurant by the pool is extremely nice place to sit & relax, food is good, however the service is slow & you might not get what you ordered. The staff are very nice & will correct your order as soon as they can.

Rooms are a good size, with decent furnishings & are clean. My room had a desk, small sofa, & a king sized bed. Bathroom looked just slightly worn & possibly could do with remodeling.

Internet was fast & reliable, even outside on the hotel grounds.

Despite its minor problems I would stay here again if I am in Nairobi

KarlHala, r at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Kglowery,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi during your recent visit. I truly appreciate your comments, since this is the most efficient way for us to constantly improve our services. We are striving to monitor and improve our facilities and services offered to all our guests.

Am always pleased to receive comments on areas of development of such a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Nairobi the hotel of choice.

Have my apologies for the long wait by the elevators and delayed service in the restaurant. I am sure you will see a great improvement in your next visit.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the near future.