“Mostly good”

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #20 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Always stay here when i am in Kenya.Love the service and the friendly staff. the only issue i have is the wifi and over the top security.The last 2 times ive been here the wifi just hasn't worked properly. The security also requires you to scan in every time you go in and out no matter how many times they have seen you. bit annoying. but other wise great food and vibe.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Terry B,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad that you love the service from our Friendly staff.

The Wifi connection issues which you experienced have now been sorted and you can now enjoy the highest log-in speed better than any other hotel in Nairobi.

As for the Security, we apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. We are aware of our obligation to satisfy the guest need for security and are doing our best to make it as less intrusive as possible.

We look forward to your next stay.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Nairobi

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice during business trips. It is close to my office which makes it conveneint but the infrastructures still need to be upgraded. Even though some of this has been done, there is still more to be done. The TV in the room is outdated. Internet is nt automatic in the rooms, you need to collect daily vouchers which is very inconveneint and it sometimes trips off.

• Stayed: February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Bola A,

Many thanks for your feedback. I am glad our location worked well for your needs. We are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with the condition of the property which were less than satisfactory. Your comments about the property needing refurbishments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Again, we appreciate the comments. We hope to serve you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Like many Americans visiting Kenya , we stayed at the InterContinental for two nights before a two-week long photo safari; and, then for our final night in Africa before beginning the long trek homeward. I would agree with most of the other reviewers that the hotel was a bit "down at the heel", but it was clean, spacious, and the staff were always friendly and accommodating. It was, and is, a good place from which to start and end
your African adventures

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear David L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a most complimentary review about your recent stay at InterContinental Nairobi.

I greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and in particular your comments about our friendly and accommodating staff, spacious and clean rooms.

I do look forward to the opportunity of once again welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at Hotel intercontinental for a night on my way to Nakuru...and would like to say I was pretty impressed by the quality of service and it's strategic location given the massive traffic jams in Nairobi. If you want to get out & about in the heart of Nairobi, this is your best bet hotel. Had always by- passed it thinking its old, run- down and not that attractive from the outlook. Turns out it is fairly well maintained and has spacious & neat rooms. The service generally was good although I was disappointed in the main dinning when some of the items I ordered from the menu were apparently out of stock. There are two other restaurants though which gives one a wider choice to chose from. A nice hotel to check out when in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Make sure you request for a room facing the back of the hotel as the front is a major highway with t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chilli-Bite
KarlHala, General Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Chilli-Bite,

I am happy that you have appreciated one of InterContinental Nairobi`s assets among many others - great location in the heart on Nairobi, and an ability to provide a wide variety of restaurants to dine from.

On the other hand, I apologize for your dissatisfaction at the main dining due to lack of your preferred choice of food from the menu.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nairobi in the near future and assure you of our best possible attention at all times.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed in Intercontintental during the first week of April. The hotel is old and that's is biggest drawback. Other than that, the room was spacious and clean and the service excellent. All the staff was friendly and very happy to help. Breakfast was very good with a big variety to choose from. I did not enjoy the dinner though. Although there were lot of choices in the buffet, i could not find anything that was close to my tasting habits. All in all the stay was very nice, though for a 5 star hotel i would expect more.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Konstantinos M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay here at InterContinental Nairobi. I am delighted that you noted the great variety that our breakfast team offers besides our polite and helpful staff.

Kindly advice me on your next visit so that we can prepare for your coming and meet your preferences.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments as we rely on you to know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed one night in February 2013. The lobby area, restaurants were of a 4 star hotel but the room was definitely dated and needed updating. It was clean but definitely a disappointment. Sat by the pool bar and had cocktails and then Indian food in their restaurant. They charged 4 star prices but the Indian food was only so so. The buffet breakfast was very extensive and good and the highlight of the stay. Internet was expensive and intermittent. Security appeared good. Was on a tour so did not complain but would have not wanted to pay full price for this stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Hopalongtravel,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was most pleased to read that you enjoyed our cocktail by the pool as well as our great variety of food served at breakfast. I am also happy to note that you had an opportunity to dine in the Indian Restaurant

I appreciate your comments regarding our internet charges. Kindly note that effective July 2013, the internet service will be free for Priority Club Members and I do encourage that you join and become one of the beneficiaries.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We spent a total of 4 nights at the Intercontinental Nairobi. You are greeted with Security and very well dressed hotel employes. The front desk was very helpful, I had paid for an upgrade and they changed the room at my request. The staff is impeccably dressed, pressed suits and very polite and proper British English.

Our room was Very clean and the beds super confortable. the hotel is in the middle of the city so there was a bit of noise. We had two different rooms, one with a great view, one less so.

Ive seen complaints about the breakfast, Im not sure where they ate, all was great for our visit, they would make your eggs how you wanted, and there was plenty of well presented good tasting food. The service where they served breakfast was quick and polite. The staff greeted us each time we passed, and remembered us when we came back for our second stay. The internet is overpriced, but you can purchase a half hour for 5$, they assured me that the corporation was changing the internet policy. i had some problems connection internet and their technical man came and spent time until he got the problem fixed.

We bought some "antique" artifacts in the hotel antique shop, even thought they tell you its old, its NOT, so buy it if you like it, but not because its an antique.

Overall our stay was very good, and the staff was super.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out the front, a nice view, with light noise. They have rooms that have been...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear LDACalif,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at InterContinental Nairobi.

I am very pleased to note your comments about the Hotel Security, courtesy, decency and service quality of our staff, comfort and cleanliness of the guest rooms, quality and variety of food served at breakfast.

I am delighted to advise you that effective July 2013, internet service will be free for Priority Club Members.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.