“Intercontinental "tried and true" but needs a full renovation”

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #18 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed February 12, 2013

In all fairness we only stayed one night on our way into the interior for safari, however after reading the many reviews I can say that for the most part they are accurate. The staff is well trained, kind, attentive and there for anything you need.

The rooms are equally clean and fresh however in dire need of an update, but then given this part of the world it's pretty good. We slept well and felt safe, and thats the bottom line these days feeling safe.

However that's as far as it goes, the food is a completely different story. I have traveled and still do to many countries and can appreciate that it is not our country and that the host country has it;s own food choices. Having said that the food in the Terrace is poor and lacking in taste. It adjoins the "fine dining" of the hotel which is India, "nach" again this part of the world and it is reflective of the food offering and I am not a India 'curry" fan. And should not be when eating in an international hotel. Had we stayed there another night we would have gone out for food.

In past reviews the manager always answers with "thank you" and we will take it under advisement, I just hope that they do redo this property as I am surely retuning within two years

At the end if the day its a safe bet for Nairobi

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ghostrider5408
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Ghostrider5408,

Thank you for taking your valued time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. It was a pleasure to receive feedback from you about your most recent stay with us.

I note that our service delivery fell short of your expectation and we truly regret this. I have shared your comments with the Director of Food & Beverage about the quality of food in order to serve a variety of cuisines, to enhance guest satisfaction.

Once again, your feedback is highly appreciated. We hope to meet and surpass your expectations during your future stay with us.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Intercon Hotel is a Hotel that is evolving with the country. My first stay here was in 2004. They Hotel has made vast improvements in things like flat screen TV's, new furniture and decor, the Club Intercontinental is very very nice, and the Internet is 200% better than my first experience. The one thing that has not changed is the kindness of the people who serve. George and Felix meet you at the door with a smile and if you are returning, your name and they even try hard to remember you. Siamanta Martha is ready to check you in with a smile and a preprepared accommodation. Samson is one of the many improvements. When I first stayed, he was the internationally known, bigger than life, head bellman. Now they have recognized his value and promoted him to head Concierge. He is always ahead of the game and ready to meet any need. The club on the sixth floor is well staffed. Lucy and the rest do an amazing job and the young cooks are always ready to supply and fulfill any of your custom request. Finally, the area that has improved the most is the wifi capability of the building. While there are still some needed up-grades, the service is much improved and getting better each day. The best up-grade is Kennedy. He is an enthusiastic assistant, knowledgeable of the system, and familiar with most operating systems. He helped my trip become superior and special rather than just great. It is nice to find an employee who is competent and smiles while he works. Thank you Kennedy.

Well, if you're looking for a US Family resort that is quiet and still and luxury at every turn,this is not your place. If you desire a business friendly, well appointed, competently staffed Hotel where customer service is king, then this is your place. Oh yea, don't forget to have a great massage by Jane down in the basement spa. She is great and truly African.

This is the place to stay for great customer service, good food, clean rooms, and relaxing style. It's in my book as the place to go when working in Africa.

Room Tip: Stay on the Club floor, it is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank livinfast

Dear livinfast,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi to be your ‘home away from home’. I am delighted to note that after many years, you find InterContinental Nairobi as your preferred hotel of choice to cater for your accommodation needs.

I appreciate the time you took to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. Your comments and reviews do help with us in our quest to provide the best possible service experience our guests.

Your observation about our improved hotel facilities and staff service quality is very much treasured. It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and make your every visit memorable.

On behalf of the management team, I have conveyed your compliments to Samson, Siamantha, Felix, George, Kennedy, Lucy and Jane, from both the Front Office and Health Club departments and they are so delighted to know that their efforts met your entire satisfaction and will encourage them to continuously strive for excellence.

Once again, your feedback is highly appreciated and we hope to meet and surpass your expectations during your future stay.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Intercontinental Nairobi offers the best Lasagna and bar ( both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks) in my experience. The Indian Restaurant is also to die for, not forgetting the sumptuous breakfast table and lunch time buffets. I can recommend their food anytime. i have never spent a night so I am not able to comment about the rooms.

I can recommend it anytime as a wonderful place for your meetings, chill outs or just a sumptuous dinner.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Hjkenya,

Thank you for choosing Intercontinental Nairobi as your preferred hotel of choice. I greatly appreciate the time you took to share your valued feedback with us.

It was a pleasure receiving your compliments about our services. I have also noted that you had an opportunity to visit our restaurants and have had a memorable experience.

It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and satisfaction to our guests.

I look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Have to agree with the other reviews which say that the hotel is a little dated, but it's certainly clean and secure with mostly good service and located close to the town centre and a short walk from the weekend craft market. Nairobi Hotels seem expensive by comparison with many places I've stayed, but you can save a bit of cash by opting for the a la carte breakfast. Unless you have a massive appetite, you'll never justify the cost of paying for breakfast up front. The in house Indian restaurant is excellent.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
KarlHala, Regional General Manager Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear John-frae-Banff,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel during your recent stay. I am delighted to note that your experience at the Bhandini (Indian Restaurant) was pleasant.

It is our goal to consistently offer superior service and a memorable experience to all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Regional General Manager Africa

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I dont know if you can give an accurate review from a one night stay but nonetheless here it goes. Apart from th security guards, luggage scanners and , metal detectors this place is very inviting lol this is Africa. Seriously, I found it to be warm and pleasant. It's a little dated and you can tell but the rooms were pretty clean, bed was soft, and the staff was very very nice and helpful. They will try to get every last dollar from you but if you understand that your in Africa and everything is negotiable you will be just okay. Ordered room service and the club sandwich was decent and very edible. I did not have time to check out the restaurant but I did grab a very nice cappuccino and a Kenyan Croissant ( kenyans make their croissants to be moist instead of crunchy, I actually think it's very tasty and really enjoyed it but if your used to crispy flaky croissants you may be disappointed, I certainly wasn't. Would I return here? Absolutely!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank dgirma1980
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear dgirma1980,

We are very grateful for your kind remarks and that you have enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Nairobi. It has always been our goal to provide only the best quality services and facilities to our guests and it is gratifying to learn that our efforts are appreciated.

Once again, thank you and we are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here before going on Safari. Central Location which was convenient, but somewhat noisy. They did have a wonderful outdoor patio/bar area with a projection screen. Room was neat and clean and good sized. Overall a decent place to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Adam P,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel during your recent stay. I am delighted that your experience at the Makuti Bar which is the outdoor bar was pleasant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was here for 4days conference and enjoyed every single day and wish to go back for sure.The staff is great,lovly and hardworking.The rooms were quite luxurious with tasteful decor.The food was great and the hotel was quite stunning.The gym and spar are also excellent and on the highest level.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear KdKokoyo,

I am delighted to receive your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently offer superb service and a memorable experience to all our guests.

It will be our pleasure to host you again during your future stays.

Kind Regards,