“Ok for one night but has seen better days” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Premium Club Room Offer
Ranked #19 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Colorado
“Ok for one night but has seen better days”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were only there for about 8 hours so I can't speak to everything. I think it was once probably a pretty elegant place but it's a bit run-down now. Service is not the best - we arrived late at night after many hours traveling, had been promised a triple room but found only 2 beds and 2 towels. After 2 requests and about 45 minutes we finally got a rollaway bed added (the other 2 beds would have been too small to share even if we wanted to). We never got a 3rd towel but fortunately the one used at night got dry enough for morning use. We didn't experience a lot of noise or bedbugs or anything really awful. Breakfast was VERY good. Oh yes - upon arrival our van of about 5 people had to be inspected by armed guards and all our luggage x-rayed in order to check in (apparently standard for Nairobi?). No idea of price since we were on a tour and all was included. I have suggested to the tour company that they might want to choose a different hotel in future.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear NotTooFussySC,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi to be your home away from home. We appreciate the time you took to give us your comments regarding our service.

We apologize for the shortcomings experienced during your recent stay. We have shared your comments with respective Heads of Departments to address your concerns to ensure comfort and satisfaction of our guests in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Should have known better than to stay here after the additional charges (tax, $30 extra person charge etc) drove the price of the room up from the quoted $180 to close to $300! And while we wouldn't mind paying $300/night for a good hotel this hotel's dated, cramped rooms leave plenty to be desired. We were told that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room but if what we stayed in was a deluxe room then I dread to think of what a standard room looks like! The only deluxe thing about the room was the beds... the carpet was old and looked dirty, the decor of the room and the TV (not a flat screen) were dated. The room was really cramped and the bathroom was tiny. Not the standard I expected from an Intercontinental Hotel having stayed at others around the world - don't be fooled by it's name, it's not a typical Intercontinental Hotel. Overall we spent over $400 (including internet and breakfast which were not included in the extortionate price of the room) for just one night in what was barely a three star (if not two star) quality room. I felt like we had been ripped-off and will not return to this hotel again. My advice to those considering staying here would be: don't. It's literally not worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Chileshe R
Dear Chileshe R,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I apologize for the inconveniences experienced on your recent stay. I am dismayed by the unfortunate incidences you experienced regarding billing and the condition of the room allocated to you.

Your review helps us to identify the areas we fell short of your expectation and we take every measure to correct each area.

Hopefully you will give us another opportunity to serve you again and regain your trust.

Regional General Manager, Africa

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed at the property for 4 nights in mid-december. The property is centrally located and needs some upgrades to the interior. However the service staff - at the reception, gym, restaurants were all really good. I was at the Indian restaurant one eve and also at the pool deck bar both of which were very good. The gym is small but has a good sauna and steam bath. The banquet rooms were also large and spacious. Certianly one of the places to consider staying when I return to Nairobi.

Room Tip: Stay in a room away from the highway end and facing the front, to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Kuttappi,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Nairobi to be your home away from home. I appreciate the time you took to share with us your comments about your recent stay.

I am also happy that you had the opportunity to dine at the Bhandini which is our Indian restaurant and also to visit the Terrace restaurant which is by the pool. Your positive remarks about our conference facilities are also highly appreciated.

Looking forward to your next visit with us.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

As you enter this property, you really do feel as though you've stepped back in time. Reception area carpeting, furniture and decoration completely worn out. The fifth floor, standard room I occupied, was equally outdated with a thread bare carpet and furniture so worn it was only fit for the trash. Tiny, ancient TV with very poor reception on most channels. A/C controls look as though they belong in a museum. The bathroom was very, very sad indeed. The noise levels were some of the worst I have experienced and I was constantly awoken by the slamming of room doors. The staff were friendly enough but passing this place off as an InterContinental is just blatant misrepresentation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Billyz11,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your experience during your recent stay.

I have noted the areas of our facility which fell short of your expectation and we are working on improving the general condition of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nairobi.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed for 2nights one at the beginning and one at the end of my safari trip in Maasai Mara.

The Rooms are clean beds are comfortable. However,the rooms definitely need a furniture reimbursement and hotel deco is outdated. The staff are helpful and friendly. Overall good service, good location in city center.

If your staying for 1 or 2 nights its fine. If your stay is longer in Nairobi. You might want to opt for another hotel that reflects a 5star.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Rania_ali,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us how we can better serve them.

Your feedback will be invaluable as we formulate ways to ensure we deliver good service that our customers will love, come back and tell everyone they know.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Regional General Manger, Africa
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed for 9 nights on a business trip in December 2012, and was perfectly satisfied.

The best things about the hotel are the poolside bar (great for enjoying Nairobi's cool evenings), the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, and the food at the Indian restaurant.

It's not top top quality, for people used to the best first world hotels. My room wasn't completely clean (or ready) when I arrived, the room wasn't fully restocked each day (towels, shower gels, glasses - those sort of little things), and the gym is pretty basic (smelly!).

The food is good. There are enough options for a week or two - but after that its gets a bit repetitious. The breakfast buffet is good, with plenty of options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear JamesDB7,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to review us in regards to your stay with us. We appreciate all feedback that we get from our esteemed guests as it guides us on our daily quest to satisfy and exceed expectation.

Please accept my sincere and unreserved apology for the inconvenience you experienced due to your room.

I am eager to restore your confidence in our company and regain your goodwill. I hope that you will give us another chance by choosing us the next time you come to Nairobi.

Regional General Manger, Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for a night on 6-7 December . The check in was ok. I was guided to the lift, my room was on 5th floor. While on the lift , I pressed 5 , the lift doors opened on level 2, and then repeatedly tried to close, but could not, without any obstruction . I got off at level 2 and waited and used the 2nd lift.
My room location was just adjacent to the lift which was good.
Once in the room, I was not impressed by the furniture, I think it is 20 years old, the TV is still 20 inch CRT..
The bath room was clean but smelled of urine. Ughh..
The good thing was spotless towels, and linen , bed was also comfortable.
It was good view out of window if you look the green at a distance.
There is a super market within 500 meters, but the hotel staff did not tell me on asking , they said take a taxi. So I took s taxi and went to shopping around 6 km away.
The next day I discovered the nearby bazar near Hilton hotel.
So don't expect any wonders.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
KarlHala, Regional General Manager, Africa at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Mutahir,
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns.

I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. We take very seriously the confidence our guests place in us and we work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Your comments will go a long way in helping us know which areas to look into and what to work on in order to ensure that we deliver the very best to all our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will give us another chance next time you’re in Nairobi.

Kind regards,