InterContinental Nairobi
  • Pool
$186
$157
1,167 results
All reviewsindian restaurantthe club loungeterrace restaurantpool barroom servicepool sidecentral locationbusiness triprooms are nicebreakfast buffet isenjoyed my staymasai marasecurityihgsafariconciergekicc
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Most InterContinental Hotels are pretty opulent and gorgeous. Unfortunately, much like the Hilton just down the road from it, the Nairobi InterContinental is looking a little dated, especially its standard rooms. The room I was in had a musty smell and the TVs were old! I was able to buy into the Ambassador club, though, and could use that to upgrade to a newer wing of the hotel where the rooms were smaller, surprisingly, but so much nicer. They had flat screen TVs, new carpet, new fixtures, etc. The location of this hotel is great if you want to be close to the government buildings and/or some of the main downtown spots. The service is decent, their pool is ok, but I have to say the nicest thing about the InterContinental are its dining options. They have an excellent Indian restaurant on-site, as well as an above average Italian restaurant and a beautiful breakfast buffet - large even for buffet breakfast standards! So if you want to be in the middle of it all, like a big breakfast buffet and can upgrade to the newer wing of the hotel, this is not a bad spot at all.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank garspolyglotte
InterContinental_10, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review with regards to your experience during your stay with us.
We take this time to also recognize you as our Ambassador Guest and thank you for the loyalty. We value your feedback and are also always glad to hear of the areas in which we have delighted the expectations of our guests.
We have addressed your feedback on your room experience with our housekeeping team and our most recent secret shopper audit has already indicated very positive results on room cleanliness and condition.
Thank you for your commendations on our food and beverage options. We have conveyed these to our chefs and the kitchen teams, as well as our restaurant outlet staff. Our dining offerings have been recognized as some of the finest in Nairobi and we are glad to receive this reinforcement directly from you as our valued guest.
We look forward to welcoming you again and thank you once again for the valued feedback.
Please feel free to contact me directly via the below details if you are travelling to Nairobi again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was forced to stay a night in Nairobi while my Visa for DRC was being validated and against better judgement and worse reviews I chose to stay at the Intercontinental.
The chain runs some very fine hotels and their Dubai and Beirut properties are among my favorite, but the Nairobi entity is a shame to the name.
At the airport, I was told that a $550 room could be given at $325++ (28% taxes) as a very special rate. I got it for $225 including taxes and breakfast.
The room - 767 had temperature of 25deg when I went it and gradually moved up to 30 deg. The Instant Service on the telephone is a pathetic joke. Most of the time it is answered after 12-15 rings and then too the person on the other end connects to the front desk, where I couldn't get thru'.
My room was changed under threat that I'll walk out of the hotel, but the replacement - 763 was only marginally better.
The shower curtains smelled as if someone had taken a long pee at them.

The saving grace was the Indian restaurant, which is top notch.

All in all, the Intercontinental Management should get out of this, because I am not coming again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank anupkum

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have received your feedback with great concern in relation to your stay with us. Kindly accept our sincere apology for the experience.
We have looked into your rate concerns regarding different rates being offered. It appears that the shortfall arose due to a communication breakdown between the rate of the day and the best available rate. The issue has been addressed with our airport team and re-training conducted.
We appreciate your feedback in this area, as it has enabled us to address a service issue.
We further apologise for the challenges with the air conditioning on that day. This was a technical issue that took longer than anticipated to resolve and we are in the process of ensuring that this does not recur.
The feedback on our instant service telephone line - the shortfall in response time - has also been given the utmost seriousness it deserves as a corrective measure.

We do appreciate that you enjoyed our Indian restaurant and we thank you for your commendations in this regard.
We look forward to having another chance to recover our services to you should you have a future visit to Nairobi.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you are travelling to Nairobi again so that I may personally have the honor of meeting you. Once again please do accept my apologies.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed two nights on a business trip. Room was on the 3rd floor. Rather dated but clean and comforatable. (Higher floors have been renovated). Very good service from everyone at the hotel.
Good buffet breakfast. (My rate included wi-fi. Unfortunately the service was very patchy and often did not work. I would not have been pleased if I had paid extra for the service). Hotel provides airport transfers and cars for getting around the city at reasonable rates.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FamilyEUropeans

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at the InterContinental Nairobi. We are glad to hear that you were happy with our hotel service.
With regards to your concerns regarding wi fi, please note that the entire country had problems with internet connection on the 19th March due to a cut in the undersea fiber cable supplying the entire country. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We hope to see you back again soon and thank you in advance for your praise and recommendation.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times of the year while on business in Kenya and have always found it excellent. The club floor is especially good as is the service. It quite and very comfortable rooms are very welcome to the tired traveller.

Stayed: December 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at the InterContinental Nairobi. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our club rooms and the facilities of the Club InterContinental lounge.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We were at the intercontinental as a first stop between arriving at the airport and starting our safari. Check in was efficient and quick. We were escorted to ur room by a porter who gave us a run down on room. I was surprised that we were advised by the staff not to use the water to brush our teeth. For such a large hotel that caters to foreign travelers I would have expected it to have purified water system. The range of rooms for the same price is also interesting, from basic to quite lovely all at the same price. Seems to be random how they are assigned. Advice: if you do not like your room, request a change as it is unlikely it will result in an additional charge. Please note that the "mineral water" in the rooms is not what we would call mineral water in the USA: it is simply filtered spring water-no effervescence or sulfur or other metallic taste.

You can order a wake up call via the telephone system.

We ate dinner at the hotel. The restaurant we wanted to eat in was closed for a private function, so we ate in the Terrace Restaurant. The menu included a few basics, lots of pizza, a pasta dish or two, salads and a buffet. Service was polite but slow. Staff definitely have English as their second language, but with hand signals and mime we were able to get our point across. Items are cooked to order so expect a delay. As there is no water purification system in the hotel, we opted not to eat any fresh fruits or vegetables. (our travel health professionals advised us not to eat any fresh produce in places without a water purification system as the veggies are washed in contaminated water) When our meals arrived they were well cooked, and nicely presented. Serving sizes were moderate. As in many hotel dining options prices were high for what you got.

Breakfast was included in our package. Again we opted not to eat any fresh fruit, but did have a cheese omelet, toast, and bacon. Kenya has very anemic eggs, so the omelets look like egg-white omelets even though they use the whole eggs. Not the hotel's fault. . . our eggs all over Kenya had almost white yolks. The omelets were cooked well, and breakfast was very satisfying.

Room Tip: If you do not like your room, ask to be changed. Many different quality rooms are available for the same price.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay at the InterContinental Nairobi. We thank you for commendations on our Check-in procedures and the quality of our food served in the restaurant. We will be sure to pass these on to our teams in appreciation.
We have followed up on the areas of concern regarding your stay with us and taken your feedback constructively to address any areas that require re-training of staff, particularly the service related concerns in the restaurant.
We would like to clarify some other areas where you may have been given incorrect information with regards to our hotel. The complimentary bottles of water in our rooms, are officially classified as mineral water by the Kenya Bureau of Standards and are purchased by renowned local and multi-national suppliers in the city.
With regards to water quality in the hotel, we have a water treatment plant on site through which all our water including Municipal supply is treated prior to use. Our hotel processed water meets World Health Organization requirements for consumption.
Our fresh fruits and vegetables on offer are accordingly washed with this purified water as well as being further sanitized using a sanitizing product from a global supplier. All inspections confirm that it is thus fine for one to consume the fresh produce served in our establishment.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you are travelling to Nairobi again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies in the areas that may have fallen short of your expectations and I do hope that the remainder of your trip was most enjoyable.