“It is all about recognizing repeat guests, starting from the door man ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Nairobi

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #18 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Kampala, Uganda
“It is all about recognizing repeat guests, starting from the door man ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

My latest sojourn into Nairobi started well at the airport, first off the plane, first through immigration, almost first to get my priority baggage and then whizzing through customs and on to the airport desk of the InterContinental Nairobi.
And lo and behold, my check in form was ready to sign, 'just s signature here Sir and thank you, here are your key cards' before the limo driver turned up, put my bags into the car and we set off to the hotel in the city. Traffic had some mercy on us and it took less than an hour to reach. Security was tight, even for the hotel limo which had boot and bonnet opened and the underside of the car inspected, that hotel group taking no risks to let anyone through the extra fortified barriers without ascertaining that all is kosher.
The door man greeted me by name when opening the car door and in no time was I installed on a top floor suite. Inspite of the hotel having been around since the 70's, the rooms continue to appear shiny and crisp, and every little thing was working, from the flat iron in the wardrobe to the sockets and the internet.
Opting for a suite has several advantages, first creating work space in the 'room' and secondly giving access to the hotels' Club Lounge on the 6th floor, where equally one can conduct meetings in a little separate meeting space or else meet guests from outside the hotel for a cup of tea, coffee and snacks which change according to the time of day.
A new buffet set up was tried out while I was there and I found the little changes worked and made a difference, including the stylish little dishes for mini sandwiches and salad creations.
It is always a home coming for me to the InterConti and on my first night, International Women's Day as it was, I found myself even invited to the function the hotel hosted that night, celebrating the achievements of women, crucially important especially in the African society's context, part of InterContinental's social responsibility programmes, which extend from women's rights support to schools to environmental projects.
Being located right near parliament, within walking distance to the recently refubished Kenyatta International Conference Centre and right at the edge of the central business district, one is never far from where one has to be for meetings.
I maintain, the InterConti remains an excellent choice, accommodation wise, food wise and service wise, with special mention again going to the superb staff at the Club Lounge, who turned into personal concierges, problem solvers and help centres for their guests every day I stayed this time. Well done, 5 star status reaffirmed without hesitation.

Room Tip: I suggest taking either a fully fledged suite or else a room on the 06th 'Executive Floor'...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Safariafficionado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed here for the first time this month and whilst having lived in Nairobi and known the hotel for many years this was the first time I stayed as a guest. The key is to ensure you request a new room since the hotel has been renovated but only about half of it. The new rooms are of a high standard that you would expect from a 5 star hotel. They do cost a little bit more but are worth it. I had a room on the executive level which allows you to check in at a reception upstairs and make use of the executive lounge for private dining. This is great if you need a quieter area for business meetings. If you are a leisure traveller then I suspect this would not be necessary. Rooms have all the amenities. A comfortable king size bed is set in a bigger than average floor space with a separate bathroom and great finishes. My only negative comments on the room would be that the TV was an old one and not a new flat screen (which didn't matter since I didn't even turn it on) and there is no separate shower in the bathroom.

The rest of the hotel is great. Good food and the Indian restaurant is great. The bar by the poolside is a nice place for a sundowner even if you hear the Nairobi traffic...but its part of the charm.

If you need a hotel that is in the centre of Nairobi then the Intercon is definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for one of the renovated new rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rakman
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

The Intercontinental Nairobi is in a good location in Central Nairobi and the staff are a credit to the hotel. Always helpful, firendly with wide engaging smiles. The room rate of US $ 355 was WAY over the top though for the quality. When I arrived the AC didn't work only to find it was switched off at the unit concealed in the celing! During my three day stay the room was never less than 24Celsius despite leaving AC for a day and a night. I would wake during the night sweating somewhat. My colleague arrived from US to find no towels in his room, no remote for the TV and room sweltring hot. They did change his room but that was even smaller and tiny TV. The Internet was always a constant battle to get to work which may be otside the control of the hotel but the system they have in place is not very good apart from the server.The restaurants we tried, the food was always very good indeed. That included their Indian restaurant, main "coffee shop" and the club level snacks etc. Staff there are great!
The management need to get on top of the niggly problems that blighted the visit and reduce room rate by half for size of room and what is on offer.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Lethbridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The apearance of the hotel and the rooms are fine, really I could not complain about the comfort of the hotel. I stayed there recently for a conference with approximately 20-25 other delegates for four days. During my stay the following three issues occurred:
1. My purse was stolen from the conference centre during the exhibition
2. My camera was stolen from a hidden compartment in my suitcase, which was in room-including the charger and the connection cable (this would imply that someone was in my room long enough to go through all of my luggage and find something that was of value to them).
3. I was double charged the room rate on my credit card 1384.06 USD.
I complained about first the purse being stolen, they said they would review their security cameras and provide me with a police abstract. They did not come back to me, I had to track down the security manager and the duty manager several times-finally the response was they do not have security cameras there and they would eventually get me a police abstract. I finally got the police abstract an hour before I left (this was three days after the incident).
Two days after the issue with the purse, I went to get my camera from the inside compartment in my suitcase, and it was gone along with the charger and connection cable. I was outraged and the duty manager and security manager both said they would look into who had been in my room but actually did nothing about it. I was offered no apologies, remuneration or support from the staff. Then when I got home and got my visa bill I found that the hotel had ran the room charge through twice!
The room cost 1384.06 USD including transport and other incidentals. The value of contents in my purse was approximately $2000-phone, wallet, purse, and cash. The camera was approximately $200. The hotel overcharged $1384.06. Thus the unrecouped costs that the four nights stay cost me $3584.06 USD.
Would I recommend this hotel-definitely not! Oh and the response that I got from the staff was that I should put stuff in my safe, I said surely I could not put everything I own in the safe-plus the safe did not work.
Stay at your own risk!

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank gypsytravels

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The area we stayed was looking tired for this class of hotel but I have stayed in the adjoining newer wing which is far superior but not sure which is which to book?
My room had ample space and the usual hotel amenities, large bed and a seating area. Think blackout curtains that fall over the floor.
Bed was very comfy with white linen, duvet and ample pillows, although the variety that sink in the middle - top tip, put one of the small scatter cushions under one pillow for the perfect height and comfort. TV is old and kept loosing it's signal on this occasion but when working well there are loads of channel's including about four movie channels which is always useful if you find yourself wide awake in the middle of the night.
Bathroom is where it definitely needs to be updated. Old hair-dryer on wall, the 'hosey' type that burns your hand while trying to dry your hair!
Nice large pool area with lots of decent loungers. Come the evening it is a great place to sip a cocktail in the warm evening breeze before heading inside for dinner.
Main restaurant with Al a Carte menu and a substantial buffet, an Italian restaurant but my favourite is the Indian. Great curries, popadom's and service.
Some of my party enjoyed the casino which is next door but can be reached via the hotel walkway - you can certainly play away a few hours there!
Comfy practical stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the 'NEW' wing.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just returned from two stays at the Intercontinental Nairobi and must agree with reviewers who cited the rooms as just "average." The rooms are large and air-conditioned (nice in the hot afternoons if your window faces the sun), but somewhat shabby. The lamp next to the bed in my first room had a frayed electrical cord on one of the dual controls, and the iron/ironing board were missing. Also the bathroom shower head flow was rather anemic, and on the first night, I had no shampoo (only conditioner) or soap (only shower gel). On my second stay a week later, the room had iron and ironing board, but no mineral water in the room.

That said, the location is good, and the security checks for cars entering the property were usually done thoroughly. Also found most of the staff to be very warm and helpful. During my business dealings, I injured my knee and when the bell captain noticed me limping, offered to get me some ice. When it arrived in my room, I asked the bellhop to bring me a plastic bag and explained why; he quickly complied and actually got a tear in his eye when he said he hoped it felt better soon. The floor manager, housekeeping manager, and the guest relations person who escorted me to the ER for x-rays asked me on a daily basis how I was doing, and one even phoned my room when she didn't see me in the lobby to make sure I was okay. The warmth of the staff more than made up for any minor problems with the room amenities. And the location is good if you are looking for something in the center of Nairobi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Parliament side - the view is nicer.
Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Spent a very relaxing sunday as hotel guest, enjoying the sun, the pool and an exellent Sunday Brunch buffet that really had something for everyone.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family