“Located in the Heart of the City”

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #19 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed September 14, 2011

As informed by my tour guide, Nairobi city is located in a radius of around 20kms all around. The hotel is located in the center of Nairobi with easy access to surrounding areas. The room was with free breafast which is served in the restaurant on the ground floor. There is also an Indian Restaurant located on the ground floor in the hotel. I ordered Chicken Biryani through room service and it was tasty. The rooms are excellent, however there was no view from my room. There are many discos and pubs within a 1km radius of the hotel where one can walk instead of renting a car. On Mondays the Masai Market is very close to the hotel, within 1km. There is also a casino nearby and many banks and ATM's. You also have to option to take cash from the hotel, however they charge you a fee of 6% on the amount withdrawn. Visited the Nairobi Museum and Snake Farm as well as Kiambethu Tea Farm which is on the outskirts of Nairobi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the from of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Nairobi

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very good, clean hotel. Very helpful staff. Quite considering hotel is just of the main highway. Not close to airport so inconvienent for early morning flights.
Good shopping area close by.
Food execelent and many options available. Internet speed fairly poor, not surprising as it is Africa. Executive lounge had many options during happy hour.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank nazp
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Taken out of the 80s, it needs urgently a renovation. Staff is very helpful, security is good.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, the difference is vast
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank mkakoulidis
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Nairobi for a total of 12 nights in August/September 2011 (an 11 night stay and a 1 night stay). The purpose of my trip was primarily business, and I travel frequently throughout Africa, so I have a pretty good frame of reference.

On the positive side, the food was consistently good. I wasn’t served a single dish that I didn’t like. Room service was also very quick, typically taking only about 20 minutes. Additionally, the staff were warm and friendly, without exception. The concierge desk was also very helpful and I used them frequently for maps, dinner recommendations, transportation, etc., and to book some weekend day trips. The location of the hotel was also decent, within walking distance of many things.

However, on the con list…
- My first room (628) had the worst mattress that I have ever slept on in my life. Seriously, awful. The whole right half of the bed was permanently sloping downwards toward the floor – there must have been broken springs. (My second room (605) was much more comfortable.)
- Each room has a small tiled area near the window, where the desk and couch are located. The problem is that chairs moving across the tile make a lot of noise, audible from the neighboring rooms.
- The bathroom had mildew spots, and my toilet did not flush consistently.
- My first night there was a concert in the street just on the street just down from the hotel. While this is not the hotel’s fault, I had asked what time the concert would be ending and was told 8pm. However, the concert did not end until after 10pm. Had I been told the truth, I would have switch to a room on the other side of the hotel, because after a long day of travel I needed to catch some sleep before my early wake up call!
- The safe in my room was not functional the first day. I notified the front desk on my way to work, who assured me that they would fix it while I was out for the day. However, it was not fixed when I returned, and I had to ask again (to their credit, they were there very quickly after the 2nd request).
- I came from work one day and my room had not been cleaned, nor had my laundry been returned.
- The internet is SLOW, even by Africa standards (600 KSH for 3 hours).
- The spa needs some TLC. Only 1 jet worked in the hot tub.
- Both times, the porter that brought my bags to the room left them on the floor, rather than using the luggage stand (minor, but annoying, and not how it should be at a “nice” hotel).
- During check in for my last night, I was informed that there would be a 1 hour power outage from 5-6 for repairs. Okay, no big deal. However, what they didn’t tell me is that the hotel was running on a generator full-time, meaning that the air conditioner wouldn’t work. Grrr… Further, the power (and water too, as a result) went out completely from 6:15 – 7:45 the following morning. As this was a Monday, getting ready for work was therefore not easy. When the generator kicked on again, it was incredibly loud from my room at the back.

My opinion in summary is that for 1 or 2 nights as you pass through Nairobi the hotel will do. But if you have a lengthy stay, all of the little annoyances really add up, and you realize that you aren’t getting what you’re paying for.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank gopheliad
Reviewed September 1, 2011

For 2 days, July 19th and 20th 2011, my wife and I visited Nairobi,Kenya.We stayed
at the Intercontinental Nairobi and found the staff to be exceptionally friendly,courteous
and helpful. For our first day in Nairobi, the night concierge,Assad, helped us arrange a
day trip where he truly considered our needs and our budget.He found a great person
named Kennedy to drive us around the city. Kennedy was very personable and respectful
and made our day trip an amazing experience.
I highly recommend the Intercontinental Nairobi Hotel to stay at when you come to visit
Kenya. Also, ask for Kennedy to be your driver for a day.He's great!!!
Noel Mouldovan
Teaneck, New Jersey

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NoelM22
Reviewed August 27, 2011

As always the lovely door personnel, security, front desk, servers, etc. ware all so welcoming and warm. The lobby area was nice, our standard room was also ok. The spa was pretty disappointing, in bad need of updating and repair. The restaurants seemed to need the same kind of attention. VERY comfortable beds compared others in Kenya so the restful sleep was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade as the standard rooms are really nothing special
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sallyzd
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stay in the IC Nairobi 3-4 times a year & I've known what to expect. Service is good & consistent, but not exceptional. The only reason I've not moved to the Norfolk is loyalty points. After checking out on my last visit I vowed never to return. The last 2 times I have stayed the hotel bar was overrun by raucous British Airways crew who were only ordering mixers, so they could add their pilfered from BA vodka miniatures & then openly throwing the empties on the floor. The same scenario happened by the pool with rudeness & contempt to other guests. I though the first occasion was a one off, but twice in a row is too much. I have chatted to many BA & KLM crew in the InterCon Nairobi before who up until my last 2 visits have been very socaible & knew how to behave. The hair that broke the camels back!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business