“24 hours but no more !”

Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Ranked #10 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Parklands area of Nairobi on two seperate occasions at the beginning and end of a safari trip.
As aa quick overnight stop the hotel is fine....clean comfortable and reasonably close to the city centre but it has one huge drawback NOISE !!
Both rooms that we stayed in were totally ill equipped to deal with the noise of traffic outside and the constant honking of horns at all hours of the day
The rooms do not have double glazing and given the fact that the this may be difficult to fit to the buiding without spoiling it I feel that secondary glazing inside should be fitted to all rooms as a matter of priority

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 14, 2009

Located in a safe area of Nairobi, lots of history (used to be called Mayfair), visited it a lot during my six months stay in Nairobi in 2007. Great sun downers too!

Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Its a nice place to hold conferences....
and very conformtable

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed just the one night after landing in Nairobi the roads to the hotel are terrible especially in the dark! However, we found the hotel spacious, nicely laid out with attractive garden/Pool area you over looked having breakfast which was a good spread. I would happily stay here again. The hotel had secure parking and restaurant attached (we did not get a chance to try it out) All in all a good stop over

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I had a pleasant stay at Holiday Inn. The hotel staff provided good service and I felt both welcome and at ease with their professional attitude. Very good and friendly staff in the reception - except for the one which managed to spoil the whole experience.

-If you insist I will of course pay for the rest of the laundry, I said and signed the bill. This was after suggesting that the laundry I received was not up to the standard I expected. I was about to leave the hotel at around 1pm earlier today.

I had delivered some clothes for laundry in the morning, and I had received the clothes 5 hours later - express service. But in fact, it looked like someone forgot my laundry and then as a last minute effort ironed my trousers and hung my t-shirts on a hanger. Stains which would easily go off during washing were still on my trousers. The t-shirts did not smell fresh. I did not inspect my socks and underwear presented in a separate bag. I was in a hurry. So while checking out I said my confidence in the washing was less than good, and that I would rather not pay for something which was not up to the expected standard. I really can live with housekeeping making a mistake, we all do.

What I can not deal with is the receptionists attitude. I felt that the receptionist did not believe me, and that I would have to present my (dirty) laundry for her to prove my case. She also insisted on the housekeeping guy coming to the reception to explain himself. I really would not like to end up in the middle of internal matters, and asked her twice to refrain from this before she complied. What was the idea of this? A public reprimande from me, or her? Or a discussion about what to expect when requesting clotehs to be washed? A seminar about housekeeping skills and how not to treat a customer?

The reception was filling up and I had to accept three or four people listening in on my discussion about my laundry.

Since I had not inspected the bag with underwear I had to pay for that service. I again strongly suggested that this was not the standard I had expected, but the difficulties of making changes to the bill were mountainous. -If you insist, I said, and paid the 645 Kenyan Shillings ($8) for washing a pair of socks and one piece of underwear. Come to think of it, either they're very expensive, or I paid for the whole thing!

I would still go there again. I will not let this one person destroy my otherwise very good experience of this hotel

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed here for one night in late September 2009 and had a day room in early October.

Kuoni and The Travel Collection use this hotel as the start and finish points for their safaris.

The hotel has two restaurants, a bar, a business area and a small shop.

The rooms were clean and a decent size; on our second visit the shower was slightly more powerful, although both bathrooms could to with an upgrade.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WildlifeMadTraveller
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the first day of our holiday before setting out on safari. We’d expected this to just be a city hotel, but found the surroundings much more spacious, with beautiful gardens and a lovely pool. The room was pleasant with all the facilities you would want. The Golden Spur Restaurant had beautiful steak, which we also enjoyed when we stopped here on our way through Nairobi after the safari. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We also found this a good base for a trip to see Karen Blixen’s house and the Giraffe Centre.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple