“Room with a view....”

Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Ranked #11 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The location of the hotel was amidst lot of greenery surrounding the property. The room in which I was lodgeed was on the first floor overlooking the small fountain and a small garden in between the hexagon shaped hotel. The pool side are where breakfast was served was calm and serene and a perfect location to have a morning feast. variety was brilliant and will suit all taste buds...overall a good experience but at a high price...

1  Thank Nikhilesh240574
There are newer reviews for Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Impressive Greenery inside the hotel...with a big sound from Toads in the night. It was fun to experience nature in the comfort of a Clean and Nice hotel. The well appointed breakfast on the side of swimming pool was so refreshing. Room opening to a lawn and outside sitting for a cup of tea was divine.

1  Thank Vijay B
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Although service at the hotel is impressive and the grounds are pretty, I don't recommend it because I didn't get the basic night's sleep. There are no screens on the windows of my room, so I couldn't open them, or else mosquitos will enter- however, even though I left my windows closed, there were numerous mosquitos in my room when I came back from the office- so the windows or door must have been left open in my absence. I didn't use the insect spray because of all the human health hazards indicated on the can so I just tried to kill as many as possible. The room has no AC, although other rooms in the hotel do, so I turned on the overhead fan, both to cool down the room since I couldn't open the windows, and also to keep away the mosquitos as a I slept, since there was no bed net. However, the fan is very loud and old, and it doesn't have a low setting, only off or very high- so I was periodically woken up by the sound of it as well as by the strong wind it was creating, but when I turned it off, I got mosquito bites on my arms. Miserable and not good when you have a full day of work in front of you. Am not staying here again.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, insist on an AC unit and not a ground-floor room
5  Thank Heather O
Michael P, Manager at Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you so much for your recent visit to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi and thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are most disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we extend our sincerest apologies to you. Your comments have been constructively communicated to our Housekeeping Department and corrective measures are currently under way. We have also added your feedback to your Personal Profile to ensure greater accuracy in the room allocation process.

We do hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Michael Phillipson

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I received v warm welcome, refresher juice at the arrival, fast fast service, orientation and accurate communication from the room to the reception. Immediate response to your need from the room after you call the reception.

1  Thank Theodore M
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I'm a frequent traveler to Nairobi and have stayed in a variety of places. In December, I stayed at the Southern Sun (my second stay). While the staff are nice and welcoming, with the price it charges - $240 for a single room - you're better off staying elsewhere.

First, the cleaning staff left the windows of my colleague's room open. Someone climbed in through the open window and stole her laptop. She made the mistake of not keeping her stuff in the safe (her laptop wouldn't fit in the safe). Management replaced the stolen items pretty quickly, but nevertheless, would you still stay in a place like this?

Second, the Southern Sun charged my credit card TWICE when I checked out. I checked my hotel bill and receipt before leaving - everything was correct. But, a few days later, my credit card statement showed two identical charges, made on the same date, from the Southern Sun. I wrote to them twice to inform them of the erroneous charges. They responded that there was a glitch in their computer system and that they're working to fix it. That was back in December. It is mid-February and they still have not cancelled the incorrect charge. Glitch is taking a loooong time to fix.

Third, $240 is a joke considering the quality of the rooms. Old, tired, too basic. Pillows are too thin, the carpet has seen better days, etc. The Southern Sun needs a serious upgrade! There isn't even a mini-bar where I could keep my bottled water cold.

Fourth, noise-proofing is nonexistent. The walls are thin, and I can hear luggage being wheeled on the cobblestone walkways at all times of the day. The room where I stayed in last time was particularly problematic: I could hear the staff talking and laughing loudly at 6 am.

There are plenty of other hotels in Nairobi that give you better value than the Southern Sun. Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank FernandaFegelein
Michael P, Manager at Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you so much for your recent visit to Southern Sun Nairobi and for your valuable feedback regarding your experience with us.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the time it has taken to date to reslove the outstanding charges on your credit card. In the interest of resolving this issue in the shortest time possible, may I ask that you please be so kind as to contact me directly via email on michaelp@southernsun.co.ke in order that I may correspond with you directly.

Best regards,
Michael Phillipson
General Manager (newly appointed)

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Mayfair is close to business centres and other restaurants. The rooms are basic and comfortable . Pillows on the beds are great. Toiletries are provided. Internet in the rooms is very good. The service in the restaurant is really bad. Staff etc are very friendly

Room Tip: If you want. Quiet night ask for a room not overlooking the pool. Although not a malaria area there...
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a charming place – I understand to be converted from an old college. The buildings are very attractive and there are some beautiful trees, water features and gardens.
The service is generally excellent and when we did have a complaint the management dealt with it very effectively and demonstrated that they really care about customer satisfaction.
The rooms are comfortable and have not been over- modernised, retaining their charm.
The food is excellent. The buffet by the pool is delicious. Breakfast has much variety.
The reception team are very efficient.
You are paying for high standards and this place delivers.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor room with door onto patio but avoid corner rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business