“Very nice hotel”

Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Ranked #10 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Well worth the price. This is a nice hotel, clean and excellent service. I spent several night here and enjoyed my stay. The attached restaurant offers up some really good steaks. The hotel is close to several amenities and night clubs. Walking distance to two of Nairobi's larger malls.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank laurence_baird

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our party of 7 came into the airport at Nairobi late, tired, and hungry. We were greeted by a very nice driver from the hotel who took care of everything. We found the hotel to be lovely and charming. But the best thing was the food - even though it was around 8 pm, the buffet out in the spacious and pretty open dining room was still open. We found a huge variety of excellent food, served by warm, friendly, and efficient staff. We were delighted, needless to say. Then breakfast buffet the next morning was just as good. An enormous variety of beautiful and delicious options and good coffee gave us a fabulous start to our African trip, although we couldn't resist lingering at breakfast and did not get off quite as early as planned. This is a very, very good hotel.

Room Tip: The exact room location is less important than the great food.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Miriam H
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Yes the rooms are a little tired but nevertheless we had a good nights sleep. We just wanted a night in Nairobi prior to going on safari and this hotel ticked all the boxes. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The bar staff equally so, the restaurant staff too and the food was really good, what it said on the tin bar food. One real niggle is there were people just sitting out at the tables on the patio which was set up for diners clearly using it for smoking, we moved tables to avoid one very annoying woman virtually chain smoking who didn't appear to consume anything.

Breakfast served by the pool was a great start to the day and our Kenyan adventures and they literally had too much food to mention, great service too.

Overall I would be more than happy to visit this hotel again, it was great value for money and a great stop off point.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lobsterlover99
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed in the hotel on the 10th December. The hotel was comfortable if not a little tired, unlike the staff who were very attentive and extremely courteous and helpful.The location although adjacent to a busy main road was like a tranquil oasis with little or no noise from the street.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I've stayed at a number of hotels in Nairobi, albeit sometime back. This was my first stay at the Southern Sun Mayfair. The Hotel is pleasant and comparable to the Fairview where I usually stay. What makes the Hotel stand out in my opinion is the staff - very friendly and pretty efficient. Will definitely stay there again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I liked quite a lot about this hotel other than my hotel room. The room itself was tired and in need of a refurb.. Ancient old carpet over parquet floor, old TV. And then we had some rain which meant that at 4 AM I was moving all my stuff around the room to stop it getting wet as the roof was leaking. Possibly unusual but not very impressive.
Other than that I liked the staff, I liked the poolside restaurant and the general atmosphere.

Room Tip: Avoid room 210
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I could smoothly check-in at around 10 am without extra costs as I arrived in Nairobi early in the morning. The room for two of us was reasonably sized with a very comfortable double bed and a standard quality bathroom. The room was equipped with a modern air-conditioner and a very loosely attached ceiling fan (which looked very dangerous when switched on). There was no information about wi-fi access but I was given an ID and password after speaking to the reception.
I had buffet style breakfast in the dining room which was located right next to one of the swimming pools in the hotel. The quality of breakfast was reasonable and the staff was very attentive and efficient.
Probably one of the best hotels in Nairobi but cannot expect anything of a global high standard.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family