Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsthe holiday inngolden spurspur restaurantpoolside restaurantcolonial style hotelan oasisbreakfast and dinnerexcellent breakfastpool sidebusiness tripwi fimasai maraenjoyed my stayhome away from homesafarifrogsgym
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Arrived at the Southern Sun Mayfair Hotel after a very exciting drive through busy Nairobi at 5pm on a Friday Night - an amazing (though nerving) experience.

Check-in was effortless and we were led to and shown around our room.

The room was very pleasant, nice view of the gardens, we laid out, air-conditioned, great bathroom, TV, ceiling fan and just what we wanted after 6 long days on safari.

We dined in the adjoining spur restaurant which is just a basic American diner. There is another buffet restaurant available if you wish.

The hotel has a great deal of history it also used to be a university campus until it was recently renovated and turned back into a hotel. The internal grounds are superb with some stunning flora and fauna. It has lots of extra facilities, business lounge, two pools, gift shop etc…

Breakfast is by the pool and I’ve never seen such an amazing choice of food to choose from. Everything for the modern palate. Everyone was very nice and friendly.

A great little find and we’d happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Room facing into one of the inner courtyards might be preferred. better views and may be a litle quiter in the morning rush hour.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank seanclarke
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. The first night was great no issues..Good breakfast and very large variety of items.I was to check out on sunday morning to catch an international flight. Had my breakfast which is served till 11am on weekends went back to my room and into the shower. This is when the problems started.
In the middle of the shower and with wet hair the water stopped running. I called reception who said they would contact housekeeping and get back to me in 5 minutes. Waited over 10 minutes and called again. Still the same promise..will call me back in 5 minutes. All in all after 40 minutes no response. I was then told the manager would speak to me. Again had to ring reception 3 times before finally getting to speak to the manager who assured me the problem would be solved in 6 minutes. I explained that I had been waiting for over 45 minutes and had an international flight to catch. He came to my room and saw the problem for himself.He was very casual about it..so I explained to him that I could not travel on an international flight wtihout a shower or shave...and probably smelly ...I was NOT offered another room where I could use the shower etc. I had no option but to start packing as otherwise i would miss my flight and incur penalties. ...all in all NOT a good experience and when one is paying the kind of prices charged one expects better service and responses from management. Will never stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you like good service etc.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank magodes
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here for just three days prior to a safari. It definately has a transit hotel feel to it. It's very pretty to look at, the grounds are nice and the rooms a good size and faacilities all there.

The rooms are single glazed and we were unfortunate to be on the main pathway (315), we didn't realise the impact until about 5am on the first day when I thought people were in the room due to the noise. It's so loud it's very difficult to sleep beyond 5am - this was a real down side.

There are two swimming pools, the one at the restaurant is more for decoration but there is a pool at the back for swimming and lounging but the water is way too cold to be comfortable.

We used the beauty salon for mani and pedis and this was good. We also used the hotel casino, it's just the other side of the car park. It was good fun and very cheap so made a nice night out.

Finally, we found the reception staff pretty unhelpful. One evening we asked them for a restaurant recommendation. After looking blankly at us for a few minutes she rang the attached fast food restuarant to see if they knew anywhere! Really you don't have a book of recommendations?? This was typical of the service on reception we found.

Room Tip: Avoid anything on the path!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Given Nairobi's shortage of reasonably rate comfortable rooms, I would rate this hotel as 'fair'. Small but clean, quiet and comfortable rooms. Pool is small and the water cold. Food was great and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: I like the garden facing rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank PeterGiesen
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I travel a great deal with my work and have the pleasure (?) to stay in many hotels - mainly for business purposes.

Plusses/Minuses:
The hotel has a good location and is generally quiet, although if you take a room adjacent to the fish pond beware - at night the noise from the 'frog chorus' is deafening! We were there for 5/6 nights and one of my colleagues was placed in a room overlooking the delivery bay (room 130) and was woken by delivery vans at 4:30 complete with whistling drivers. When they had finished it was time for the bin men to clear away the hotel's trash.

Poolside restaurant: good breakfast, good buffet at night - lots of choice for both carnivores and vegetarians. The BBQ beef is superb. However, charging KS: 600 for a piece of crumbly, old, and tasting like it's been sitting in a fridge for a few days Coffee and Walnut Cake is simply outrageous.

Wi-fi: I was without wifi for 3 days in my room (room 261). Everywhere else had it. To make personal Skype calls home I don't want to sit in reception! It seemed to take an eternity to fix.

Rooms are in need of investment and re-furbishment as they feel old and tired. The fabric/furniture quality here in comparison with other hotel properties of a similar rating isn't as good or stylish.

Staff are very friendly and warm, I was always greeted with a smile and a hello/Jambo wherever I went. Some of the staff have a propensity to say 'yes' to a guest request and then fail to deliver, we encountered this a few times. The bar staff in the restaurant need some training to spot customers sitting at a table and wanting service, we had to remind them several times that we existed. On one occasion despite there being 4 waiters hanging around the bar we had to collect our own drinks which had been sitting there for several minutes - completely ignored by the staff who were chatting!

With some basic improvements in decor and some service tweaks this hotel would warrant a 4 or 5 rating.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the pond area rooms and rooms 129/130/132 as they are directly over the delivery drive; excessive early morning noise and a poor view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business