“Southern Sun, Mayfair, Nairobi”

Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Ranked #10 of 168 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed at the Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi from 12th to 15th December 2011. The rooms are clean and breakfast is great. The free WiFi Internet does not connect well in some rooms, as was the case in my room. The hotel has lovely gardens. But I think it is overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Considering the chaotic nature of Nairobi (and accompanying sounds) it's important to choose a hotel that filters out those noices for a well deserved rest.

The Southern Sun Mayfair offers exactly that. It's a beautiful colonial hotel with amazing gardens. The rooms are spacious enough and are of a very acceptable luxury standard (although the beds are a bit hard for my taste..). The bathroom could have been better, especially the water was fluctuating from time to time (temp and pressure) but that was the only glitch.

Service is fast and welcoming and the food served in the attached Spur restaurant is actually of a good level (it's like an american steakhouse). Breakfast is served at the other restaurant and is of very good quality as well.

Overall; a recommended stay in Nairobi. It's not the best hotel, but considering the price it's def. worth the money!

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I am staying at The Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi and am attending the a workshop tomorrow. On my arrival the staff were FANTASTIC and I am very impressed with Steve at the front Desk. The doorman was very chatty and made me feel like I have come home. Thank you!!!

Reviewed November 24, 2011

My poor company got suckered into booking this place for me, at a cost of above two hundred US dollars a night. Sheer craziness. The rooms are completely average, a little worn down, no air conditioning, spotty internet. A very polite guy in a fancy uniform ushers you to your room and points out to you that you receive one or two small bottles of water for free. Gee, thanks, that makes all the money worth it.

The internet took forever to connect and was slow/unreliable when it finally did connect.

Maybe there's some security reason why this place is so expensive, but if there is I don't know it. Earlier this year I stayed nearby at the Pride Inn *Westlands* (not the other Pride Inn) for one-third the price, and got a cleaner, more modern room, with AC and good internet, in a safe environment.

The Southern Sun has a lovely-looking pool and nice gardens, and I saw a sign saying there's a gym. But I was there on business and just needed a decent room with good internet.

Admittedly the buffet breakfast was fantastic, easily worth $25, but NOT worth the extra hundred dollars paid.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is quite a reasonable four star hotel with very nice gardens in crowded Nairobi.  However, the first room we were given smelled strongly of mould and was uninhabitable.  Our second room was Ok but rather small and very noisy.  If we stayed again we would pay more for a higher level of room.  There was no  bottled water in the room and we had to buy some from the bar.
The poolside area was very pleasant for dining but the food was OK but not really good.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade or otherwise pay up for a better room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2011

No WIFI connection even paid for and i made several request to the room service and front office manager but it remains unresolved throughout my stay of 1 week. The staff at the business centre have no manners and not properly trained to serve customers. Some have earphone in the ears and when talked to them, no response. A bad experience

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I decided to stay at this Hotel as it is a South African Chain and I was told it was a good hotel. We get fairly good rates (for Nairobi).
To start off, i can honestly say that I cannot fault service, everyone was helpful and always willing to help, and the food both in the Spur (attached to the Hotel), and the Buffet were great and well deserved of the money spent. Included breakfast had a good selection and and is run 6-9 if i remember correctly, and the surroundings are great within the confines of the hotel.
I suppose my biggest gripe were the fact that the included free Internet is only for 1 device per room (I have a Kindle, and iPad, a Laptop and a Smartphone, and the extra cost was 400Ksh per hour. Yes there are ways around this, I was just not prepared for this, the connection also was up and down, with extended periods of down.

The other Gripe was the Room and bathroom, wile adequate, it does need to be updated. I am used to staying in newer hotels, and the older hotels generally put me off. As part of that same problem, I could hear every-time the person in the next room coughed, talked or farted as there was an inter-leading door between the 2 rooms, on the flip-side I am sure he heard me. Also, as the hallways are large, wide and very high, sound travels quite a bit. This meant that I heard people coming in late in the evening or people knocking on other doors to get in at 6am.
This is not a fault of the Hotel, it is just the way it is built.
In summary, the grounds are nice, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful,the food is also good, the only downsides were the Internet and the actual rooms and bathrooms.
Would I stay there again ? Its possible if other people are there but not likely if I am on my own.

Room Tip: I would get a room on the upper floors to be a bit quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business