“Beautiful grounds but poor service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oak Place Hotel & Coference Centre
Ranked #95 of 224 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Attending a conference and I am very disappointed with the establishment. Conference toilets were dirty and only cleaned after tea break. No hand towels or drier provided in the toilets. Staff were unhelpful and unprepared for us over lunch break. Asked for butter to accompany the bread roll but none was served. Few fruits provided as dessert. Grounds are beautiful but the management has to train its staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wakesho254

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Very calm, VERY VERY beautiful place. Very Relaxing. I loved it. It has a fantastic & awesome atmosphere, a lovely restaurant, food is great, location is just AMAZING!!! I LOVED IT!! This is my default hideout location from now on.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were here for one night on our way to mombasa. We fell in love with the place. The staff was friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed our breakfast in the morning.

We were a family of three and we found the room spacious and clean. The hotel is situated on a vast huge ground that is kept clean and well trimmed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Machoman6363
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Oak Place is in an ideal location away from the hustle and bustle of the city center. The environment is quiet with lots of fresh air, and you will appreciate this after being the city, which is polluted and dirty. Oak Place is very spacious with amazing landscape.

The cottages are just amazing considering the rates, which are pretty reasonable. The furnishings in the room are contemporary and they complement the hardwood floor. The bed is very comfortable. The room is good-sized and very clean with a small safe (which fits your wallet and other small items but I couldn't fit in my laptop), an iron box (a lot of hotels in Kenya do not have this), and a mini-fridge. The bathroom is clean and there is hot water.

A downside to this otherwise wonderful venue is their room service and restaurant service. I'll start with the restaurant. The ambiance is OK, but that might be that there weren't very many people in the restaurant at the time. My only issue is the menu - they did not have very many things available as listed on the menu, and unfortunately, I have experienced this at a number of restaurants in Kenya. I'm not sure if some of the food items are put on there just to make the menu look appealing or if the restaurant genuinely has run out of ALL this stuff. Either way, that is not how a restaurant should operate!

Now to the room service. It took getting a hold of three people and a time frame of an hour to just get a menu brought to our room so that we could order our dinner. Of course, what we wanted was not available, for example sandwiches, and so we ended up eating the exact same thing we had the night before.

Other than the restaurant and room service, I would recommend Oak Place. If they addressed the mentioned issues this place would be a great local getaway!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alkenya
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Oak place has indeed established herself as a training, conferencing and weddings venue. The greenery and artistic landscapes is indeed panoramic. The location does not favor them though as its abit tucked in within a residential area and failure to advertise or announce their brand is at the least myopic...seems even the immediate neighbors do not know of the fantastic facility...That is neither here nor there though...my greatest concern is with their food...their alarcate menu though sounding sophisticated is really wanting...the executive chef can do much much better...besides, serving cold food on the three occasions that i visited is your last nail to an otherwise awful culinary experience to an otherwise well decorated and beautiful venue...they can also do better with piped music!!!! Not the PA system mounted within the fine dining section..

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank DominicM969
Reviewed October 11, 2012

First time in Kenya and wasn't sure what to expect. Oak Place is absolutely gorgeous, service is great and staff are absolutely wonderful! My only criticism would be that the restaurant may need an upgrade if they want visitors to return but having said that, I would return anyway ad any lack of quality is made up for with the friendliness, enthusiasm and hospitality of the staff and all Kenyans we met here. Great conference venue and for weddings as well!

PS. Mosquitos are an issue irrespective if where you stay so just make sure you bring lots of mosquito repellant - mosquito nets are provided.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shona K
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Oak Place is located off Kiambu road, along Ridgeway’s Garden Estate Road opposite Oak Lane Nairobi Kenya near the Windsor Golf and country Club. From the capital city it is Just a 30-minute drive from the city center, from the airport you can use the bypass to the Windsor round about take first left turn the second left turn leads you to the gate.
I liked everything about Oak place. It is located on one of Nairobi quietest and reclusive countryside suburbs. Their beautiful well maintained lawns and gardens, warm reception clean and beautiful clean cottages, the beds are comfortable and have mosquito nets. There was an iron which I did not use but I confirmed it was working, hot water in the shower. The food was Excellent! Very well prepared tasty and very friendly waiters.
Their flower garden was the best for me. They have the most creative way of keeping you engaged. I could not help laughing alone. There are these carvings of shoes human heads used as flower vases and the funniest is the smiling mouth on the walls. Its worth trying when around Nairobi. Their prices are fair and their services excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business