“Don't have a problem at the Meltonia Luxury suites!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Meltonia Luxury Suites

You added Meltonia Luxury Suites to your Saves list
Meltonia Luxury Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kindaruma Road | Near the Yaya Mall and Centre, Nairobi 00621, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #52 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Can Tho, Vietnam
“Don't have a problem at the Meltonia Luxury suites!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Meltonia Luxury Suites in Nairobi for the weekend. We each had a one bedroom studio which are very well appointed and when I first saw them I thought it was a real find: spacious, includes a kitchen and sitting room, well furnished, flat screen TV and WiFi.
However a problem arose when I locked my valuables into the safe and it would not unlock (on the first night when we had just arrived). I immediately reported it to reception. They explained they don't keep the keys at the apartments. Fair enough! In fact, a good practice. They would fix it in the morning. No problem there was nothing I needed straight away. We were still in at the apartments until 11am - no sign of the key for my safe. I get back in the late afternoon around 5pm - no sign of the key for my safe. I insist that the young man on the reception call his boss, who states the keys will be at the apartments by 7pm. My friend and I wished to go out for dinner and we did not wish to be late as we had a very early start the following morning. So I insist on speaking to the boss who says "it's not our fault you forgot the code you used..." Firstly I'm not senile. It was immediately after I closed the safe that I attempted to open it again. Secondly I always use the exact same code for every hotel safe and I travel with reasonable frequency. It is unforgettable because it is the four numbers of my birthday and one of my son's birthdays. I also use the same number for my frequent flyer account and used it with success to open the account that next day to ensure I hadn't forgotten it. "The boss" was in fact quite rude, raised her voice to me and talked over the top of me when I tried to speak.
So if you are sure you can have a problem free stay or if you don't mind poor service from rude bosses, then stay at these apartments. Otherwise I would advise you look elsewhere for your accommodation in Nairobi. One other thing, I was never able to access the wifi and everyone just kept saying "Ï don't understand".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank disclockdisey
JackiK443, Manager at Meltonia Luxury Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Madam;
We truly take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to you the locked safe issue that you had. It took hours for the safe key to be made available to you simply because safe keys are kept away from site because of security reasons.
We believe due to your very long wait you became understandably sensitive and to the extent that you took the telephone handset from the receptionist while we were trying to resolve the issue. There was at the time only one person who could be reached authorized to sign off the keys , and regrettably they were out of town on an urgent issue and took the long journey back just ( without completing the assignment) because of you. You rightfully were very irritable which was still understandable as time was running out. You did warn us that you will 'do something very bad', because of the difficulty in getting the keys, it became a long day for both of us but it was nevertheless difficult to put this across to you even while I was talking to you on phone. However, we owe you a big apology and I personally welcome you again and the issue or any other will be handled (hopefully there will be none) better next time.
J. K. Njuguna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked my apartment very late and could not get a response on airport pick up. It was easy to get a taxi from the hotel to the apartment on my own though.
The area is safe and there is a security staff right at the gate (not sure if he was armed). I could walk to the local supermarket (Uchumi) and local shopping centre (Yaya Centre and Mall) on my own.
To get to the city centre, one has to take a taxi (I did not go to the city centre).
I booked a studio and was upgraded to a one-room apartment.
The apartments I went into were very clean, spacious and comfortable. Due to a series of unfortunate events, I had to change 3 apartments in 4 nights and had access to 4 different apartments to sleep (sewage system was choked and toilet had to be repaired), cook (apartment had no stove or microwaveable crockery so I had to use another apartment to cook) or shower (heater broke down and after trying to fix it for me for 3 hours, they finally gave me access to another apartment to shower). The television and internet did not work on one of the days when I badly needed the internet to confirm my trip plans. The service provider fixed the problem at the end of the day but I was not informed (even though staff knew the urgency as I had asked 3 times). I had a discount on the third and fourth night as a result.
The staff were very nice but I got stressed out due to the changes and breakdowns. Staff needed more training on how to handle awkward situations.
I will return to the Meltonia again (if I do not need to access the city centre) as it would be great value for money IF everything works. Now that i know which rooms are not working and the names of staff, I will definitely check with them which room I will be allocated to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've been traveling back and forth to Nairobi for 10 year until I found this little treasure. It's fabulous and totally reasonable. It is a suite hotel so you get a lot of bang for the buck. You get living room, kitchen, laundry room and l wonderful kingsize bed.
The only real problem is that they have no lift so if you're on the top flights it's a really long walk up.

Room Tip: Try not to be too high up, but not on the first floor either.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank sbgcitykid
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was only in Nairobi in transit for 2 nights so I didn't have specific needs in terms of the location. The Meltonia Suites is not exactly centrally located, but I still managed to get around easily by taxi to go visit some sights and met friends at the Yaya center nearby.
The suite was very spacious with a large living room and a nice little balcony.
The place is peaceful and service is wonderful. A special thanks to Peggy who went out of her way to help me change money and get the most of my 24 hours in Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SylvC
Normal, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our group of 14 stayed at the Meltonia Luxury Suites for one night prior to a safari departure and one night on the return in September 2012. The staff does an amazing job of making you feel welcome and and meeting your needs. The rooms (actually apartments) are large, well appointed and absolutely spotless. Our drivers were not familiar with the accommodations so it was a bit of a hunt to find the Meltonia, but it was totally worth it. There are no lifts, so for those folks staying at the highest floors you need to climb some stairs, but again the staff does all it can to carry bags and provide for your needs. The Meltonia is located in a secure and quiet neighborhood, making a good night's rest possible because there are no sound interruptions from traffic, etc. Breakfast is included; it is basic and good. The kitchen was very accommodating to prepare meals for us on arrival; service was slow but the food was well prepared. I cannot say enough about how helpful Peggy and her staff were to make our stay an excellent experience. I will definitely recommend the Meltonia to any friends I have traveling to Nairobi.

Room Tip: If you're a bit older or have a problem handling stairs, ask in advance for a room on a lower le...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bobsadt
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Meltonia twice in September 2012 and wow!....what a fantastic place to stay right in the centre of Nairobi. Very beautiful interior decor, with the double studio providing a very relaxing home-away-from-home experice. The staff are so corteous, friendly and ever ready to help with excellent service at the reception. Peggy is such a darling and a fantastic hostess.
I will definitely be back in Meltonia and will recommend it for anyone looking for a great place and value for money in Nairobi

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toyin T
Trivandrum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was a good stay at Meltonia between September 2nd and 25th 2012. I need to thank:

Peggy: For helping me extend the stay without any hassles and seamless. For urgent calling outside she helped me with her cell phones which was very insturmental.
The Chef: He helped me with the Indian Cuisine whenever I required it and was very polite and good mannered.
Moses and his friends: They helped with the required access to internet and other bills.
Room Care Takers: They helped me feel I am at home with essential arrangments.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, especially B1 Apartment
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business