“A world of its own”
Review of Kibera

Kibera
Ranked #55 of 132 things to do in Nairobi
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Although it has been mostly ignored by kenyan government and service providers, Kibera has a life of its own. It bustles with creativity borne of a population that refuses to play victim and has its own neighbourhood pride. It's own micro breweries, cinemas, shops, products, architecture. I salute Kibera!

2  Thank Wavinya
All reviews
"slum area"
"biggest slum"
"living conditions"
in 3 reviews
"an eye opening experience"
"learning experience"
"bone"
"shoes"
"witness"

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I wrote a review of the tour under a different heading. I was so impressed with the enthusiasm of this amazing young man who is doing so much for his community. Once more I am going to try to post photos taken during our walking tour. For some reason, when I tried to post them previously, they were not approved by Trip Advisor. I am trying again because although I read the guidelines, I did not understand how my photos did not meet them.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

You should be know that every country has their different face , there is the so-called slums, Kibera is real in Kenya on the other face, it is true, even if it's not far away you can see tall buildings, this is a dangerous place, but you see a lot of children with their body language to show you their friendly, happy to take a picture with you, how can you believe this place is a dangerous place, get mugged? If you like taking pictures, please do not miss this, although there is no beautiful scenery, but this is life.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Kenyas largest slum. Im not sure why it needs a rating as its not a place any tourist is likely to visit. If you do happen to to visit though you'll be both depressed (at the conditions people live in) and amazed at the number of small (jua kali) businesses that thrive there

3  Thank anoop l
See more reviews
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I went to Kenya partly to see "how the other half lives." This accomplished that purpose but it was very disturbing. What bothered me was that we were there, driving through in our nice car, gawking at the people as if they were animals in a zoo, taking pictures, etc. Should we ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist? No. But should we treat this as a tourist attraction like any other? No. People deserve respect, dignity, and privacy even if they live in a stick built shelter covered with a tattered tarp. I was proud that the mision work done by my organization is helping people such as these to have a better chance. Maybe it was something I needed to see, and discomfort is probably the most appropriate reaction.

3  Thank Margaret C