New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Nairobi Mamba Village

Nairobi Mamba Village
Ranked #15 of 114 things to do in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: East Africa’s largest crocodile farm.
Nairobi, Kenya
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Nice enough, but pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Except the (overpriced) restaurant, the place is looking a little tired and sad. It is cool to see crocodiles up close, and learn about them from the guide (no tipping needed), and the lake is pretty enough, but overall they need to invest some of that steep cover back into the facilities. I'd go again since it is a unique place to take visitors who have already done most if the sights, but wouldn't include on a "must-see" list.

Visited November 2013

• Czech first
  • Turkish first
Neuchâtel, Neuchatel, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Go if you want to see a lot of crocodiles.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Most of the reviews are correct, so it boils down to what you want out of it, and not raising your expectations to the impossible also.

Crocodiles are cold-blooded lizards. Don't expect them to be circus animals. They lay around and are really good at not moving. So this is what they do.

But, if you want to see hundreds of them up close, big ones, baby ones, and maybe see a few swim, and if you're there at 5pm, see a few jumping up to grab goat pieces hanging above them, and if you want to hold a baby crocodile and egg, and see the joy in your kids eyes as they do the same, then go.

I got it at Resident rates because my wife is Kenyan. I do agree the entry fee was a bit high for non-residents. But, I can also say that in all my life, I've never seen that many crocodiles and my little girl saying Doodoo Kubwa (Big Monster) over and over was priceless.

Yes, get a tour guide. AND why not pay a tip? Don't look at these people like the enemy. If you had any idea the pay rates these people usually make, and they have to walk around that park in the heat all year round and say the same things. Engage with them, and make some jokes. Make them feel comfortable and ask lots of questions, and they will be nicer too. WE'RE ALL HUMAN. And then graciously give them a little tip like 100 or 200 KSh (what is that like $2??? - is that going to kill you?) If that still doesn't work in getting them to respond more, well then sometimes you just can't win. But, i think most of the time you won't.

I was sorely disappointed with my crocodile meal, for 1000 KSh. I had the stir fry. However, I'll say two things. First, I don't know if it was crocodile I didn't like or if it was the restaurant. There were a few pieces of chicken-tasting (yes, i know...) tough meet with lots of pieces that were like fat but didn't completely totatlly taste like fat. Perhaps the Shish Kabob would have been a better choice. Who knows. But, secondly, i can say I ate crocodile, whether I like it or not. And I'm not in the poor house because I spent 10 bucks.

Were the snakes and fish, etc that exciting? no, not really. But, I still say a green mamba up close, and never have before...and so I walk away with that. And I'm happy.

There's the review, take it or leave it. You have to decide. It is a bit pricey for the fun you may have, especially as an adult. But I have to say, probably younger children seeing that many crocodiles is worth it. And if you do order the crocodile lunch, get the Shish Kabob instead and let me know how it was.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank williamkpro
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“have a guide!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We thought this might be a tourist trap but we had a guide showing us around who made it a really interesting and fun trip, we held a crocodile, learned loads and finished with a bbq lunch.

Visited November 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“nothing much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I cannot remember what i paid at the gate for my family of 4 (dad, mum, 2kids oldest 6yrs) to see the crocs but i do remember feeling ripped off of my cash: the crocs are in cramped quarters and scared the kids, further, the cages are not well designed and one gets the feeling the animals may get out and bite.

The remedying thing about this place is the dam and the other attractions for kids in a play area across the zoo

Visited January 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

After having some wonderful experiences on my holiday my visit to the Mamba Crocodile park was a big disappointment. The animals like the staff looked bored and everyone who spoke to us expected a tip in addition to the entry charge. The only person who appeared interested was a nice man who showed us around the snake and 'other' enclosure. After seeing so many animals in the wild this was not a good experience.

Visited October 2013