“ChiomaGozie”
Review of Eden Gardens

Eden Gardens
Ranked #120 of 287 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Eden Gardens gives you the feeling that you are in your own house with paid for domestic services. My wife and I felt that we were living in our own house in Nairobi and the service was quite personalized. A driver was available, a cook, a gardener etc.

Lavington is a very quiet and serene part of Nairobi and it provided a very good place for my wife and I to spend some quiet time together away from the hustle and bustle of down-town. It can also be a good weekend getaway for residents of Kenya.

Room Tip: Pick any room and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ferdinand E

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

This a tough review to write. Tough because all the positive things said about Eden Gardens in other reviews posted here are absolutely true. Especially the wonderful staff.

But, and it's a huge but, Eden Gardens is a death trap. The facility has every window covered by steel bars. The two doors to the outside have steel gates. In the evening these gates are closed and locked with hardware that requires a key to unlock. Note that guest room keys will not unlock the exit doors. There are no smoke detectors anywhere--not in my room, not in the hallways, not in the common room.

The bars on the windows are sufficiently strong that you will not be able to kick your way out. The same is true of the gates on the exit doors.

In the evening there is someone on duty but that person goes to bed sometime after midnight.

What this means is that smoke from a fire having started, for example, in the kitchen or common room, would entirely engulf the place before anyone knew what had happened. If anyone would awaken--most people don't, they die in their sleep from the smoke--the hallway and exit door areas would be filled with smoke from ceiling to floor. There is no way the evening attendant would be able to locate the exit door's locks and evacuate the guests.

Now, I realize this cage-the-bad-guys-out is the "norm" in Kenya for this price point. Nonetheless, at the very least the owners need to install smoke detectors throughout. They should be linked so that when one alarms they all do. Second, guests should be provided keys that will allow them to open the exit doors--they could check them in/out to prevent them from leaving the guesthouse. Third, night staff should not be permitted to sleep.

Ideally, an integrated alarm system, true exit doors that don't require unlocking and operable exits from each room would be best. But, probably too expensive given the size of the place.

If you are intent on staying at Eden Gardens you should bring with you a hacksaw with extra blades (18tpi) and a couple of smoke detectors. Seriously.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank Canoe2Freedom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Communications were excellent - Endre is fast at responding to inquiries. The staff is great and very helpful.

My room (shared bathroom) was small, but fine. It was very quiet and after months of living near Mombasa, it is nice to be able to sleep under the covers (and without a fan).

The bathroom was a bit dated, as another reviewer noted, but functional.

Breakfast was delicious, made-to-order, and much more than I could eat.

The only glitch I had was transport as it is a bit tricky getting around if you don't have a car or can afford taxis (taxis in Nairobi are overpriced). It is a bit of a trek (walk to main road and then 2 matatus) to get to/from town, but once you figure it out, it is fine. I talked to Endre about the directions to the hotel and he is correcting what is on the internet.

All in all, good value and a good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ange3970
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a great low-medium priced option in Nairobi, especially if you have a car. It is located on a beautiful street with easy access to Nakumatt Junction Mall and Valley Arcade. It is the best place we have stayed in Nairobi at this price.

The rooms are very spacious and the linens extremely comfortable. The internet is fast.

The bathrooms are average, probably the biggest drawback of the B+B. But they are clean and functional.

There is a matatu stage about ten minutes walk if you need to take public transport to town.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Goodkidhello
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed at five different hotels in Nairobi. Eden Gardens ranks at the number two spot of them all (overall). If I factor in price, Eden Gardens ranks number one. Eden Gardens is currently undergoing renovations and that is the only improvement necessary. I would love to see it in a year's time.
The staff are AWESOME. They are beautiful and very attentive. The hotel was VERY CLEAN. Internet service was the best that I ever experienced in Nairobi. I am not a food critic, but breakfast was EXTREMELY good. The staff made whatever I wanted and I must say that it was very tasty.
Upon both arrival and departure, Endre came out to greet me. I never experienced this in any Nairobi or any other city hotel. The reservations were also smooth and professional. The location is also great. The running stream could be heard at night and made for a restful sleep.
All being said - I WILL DEFINITELY RETURN.

Room Tip: Back Room is best
Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ron1028
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had an amazing time there! the staff were really kind and easygoing. They would provide you with all you need. If you feel like cooking there, make sure you take the ingredients you need since they only have stuff for breakfast that is actually pretty decent! It was great to be there!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ximena C
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was looking for a hotel to stay in Nairobi when I stumbled upon Eden Garden Hotel's website. The website has a live chat and I was able to chat with an operator. He was very friendly and helped me arrange transfers from the airport once I got to Nairobi. The cab service was excellent; the driver (Samuel) was very informative, he gave me a quick orientation of Nairobi. Whenever I needed him he was always on time and took me to which ever place I wanted, even recommending best deal places.
The place is very homely,very clean and neat with a vintage feel. The front desk manager (Esther) was polite and kind. I noticed that the water heater in my bathroom wasn't working but it was fixed immediately I reported, which was good. My room was very spacious and the bed was comfortable with a mosquito net (the area has mosquitoes). Break fast is served from 8:30am, however you can request for an earlier breakfast which I found convenient considering that I had to be out early.
They only provide breakfast, typically toasted bread, Spanish omelet, sausages, fruit juice, coffee/African tea and fruits, though you can request for something else. You could find a decent place around to have your other meals. The Wi-Fi was very good only that sometimes it was unstable especially when I tried to use my smart phone.
The gardens are well done and the swimming pool is in good condition only that it was not very clean. I must say I really enjoyed my stay there and next time I am in Nairobi, I won't hesitate check in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business