“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Auckland
4 attraction reviews
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

4 of us booked with Robert and arrived in Nairobi not knowing what to expect. Overall it was a fantastic experience, we went to Mara leisure Camp and were upgraded to a lodge, very peaceful place. Went to Masai village, eye opening. The park was amazing, couldn't believe how big it was and we saw heaps of animals there. We then drove to Nukuru which was a long drive but interesting.the roads are really tracks so lots of bumps. Nukuru wasn't as good as Masai Mara and wouldn't do that again. Our guide Moses was fantastic, very patient and fun.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Österreich
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Samburu, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have been to many places in Africa before (Uganda, Botsuana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa ...) but Explore Kenya has organized the best safari, we ever had. Already the inquiry process was excellent and then our safari fabulous. Our guide, John, was very experienced and showed us everything a safari heart could wish. Our camps where wonderful. Our best regards to Robert and his team!!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Martin_D_SP
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Massai Mara with Explorer Kenya , Excellent !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I and 2 friends visited Kenya this February and had a fabulous time. We wanted to do a 3 day 2 night safari in the Massai Mara and asked Robert Murigi from Explorer Kenya to sort it all out. Nothing was too much trouble. Although based in Nairobi we were picked up at our hotel in Mombasa, driven to the Airport, the driver made sure we got through all the relevant checks before leaving us. At the Mara Airport we were picked up by our guide Jimmy. He was excellent. I cannot praise him enough....he made everything easy for us and we got to see the big 5. On the last day we were so close to flying back without seeing a Leopard ...when he started to back up and said ..."a going away present"...we saw a beautiful Leopard....it was amazing. Well done Explora Kenya

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lmw264
Khartoum, Sudan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Like being in one of the National Geographic episodes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

First good impression do create an overall nice experience. This I must say to Robert (reservation manager), Martin (our van driver) and Sam (our airport transfer driver).

Robert of Explorer Kenya always respond to my numerous e-mail enquiry and helped us to arrange our 3 days budget safari trip despite of our various requirement, without fail.
We arrived at Nairobi airport at 2 am and were sent to a stopover house (our own arrangement) for a short nap/rest by one young lad named Sam who was friendly and cheerful, despite the wee hours.

At 8.30 am of our 1st day, we were greeted upon by 2 drivers (Martin and Peter) and Explorer Kenya reps (for payment collection), who have been waiting for us since 7 am (we were not informed of the journey departing time). My family and I went with Martin while the rest went with Peter. Throughout the 5 ++ hours journey from Nairobi to Masai Mara, Martin who was very knowledgeable, share with us many information, such as the meaning of the name Nairobi, the country's background, the history of Karen district, info about Rift Valley, Suswa Ranges, meaning of Masai Mara, the names of animals we came across and its details etc. During our game drives, we manage to see 2 cheetah having their early dinner, apart from viewing other animals such as zebras, giraffes, wilderbeast etc.
We also experience watching 2 leopards hunting a young impala and catch it for their lunch, It's just like we are in one of the episodes from National Geographic programme. We also had our pre-packed lunch under a tree in the middle of the reserve park. Martin also provided us with many info such as the wilderbeast migration period, the diet of a hippo and Nile crocodiles, the weight of an adult elephant, how to know the seniority of a giraffe etc. He even showed us the border of Tanzania's Serengeti (from a far that is). We also visited the Masai village, which is a truly aborigines village with its land filled with cow/goat droppings, houses made from cow dungs etc. For those with health and hygienic issue, it is not advisable to visit this village, which cost USD20 per adult and USD10 per child.
On the way back, both drivers showed us around the Nairobi city before proceeding to the airport. We were very pleased with Martin's service that we've decided to tip him generously.

Some tips for future safarigoers;
1) Avoid summer as it will be very hot and the van do not have airconditioning (due to its pop-up roof nature)
2) Take anti-malaria pills and apply lots of insect/mosquito repellants.
3) Drink plenty of water throughout the game drive (we were provided with in the van) and rest assure there are plenty of bushes in the Mara area when nature calls.

We really enjoy the trip, especially the kids. If there are any grouses about this trip, it would be our van. We were provided with an automatic transmission 4WD van which took a lot of time to go through any hilly road, whereas our friend's other van, a manual transmission 4WD van was pulling away.

Visited February 2014
4 Thank Isbawandi
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome Safari experience, and much more ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Travel Jan 27 to Feb 2, 2014: Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru, Amboselli NP
I had a really awesome experience! My first safari trip, and it was just great. Robert was very responsive while booking, and had no issues when I changed dates.
The driver / guides were very good, caring, and informative. Jonah for Masai Mara, and Moses for Nakuru and Amboselli. Both were really good. Most importantly, they were good at listening to their safari radio, and helping us spot wild life. I did see all Big 5! Moses was a lot of fun.
The best was when I got lucky and the lodge I was booked for at Amboselli did not had vacancy due to some government event etc. I was not happy about not knowing where I would have to stay - so Robert gave me an upgrade to Serena Lodge - which is the 5 star lodge inside Amboselli. You may not get as lucky - but it was a GREAT experience. I don't care much about luxury, but well, it is not bad at all :D
Masai Mara can be rough in travel, but its worth it. I was not so sure about the minivan experience, but it was actually good. You meet other travelers, and we all had sufficient space to get up and view the awesome wild life. I can't say enough how much fun I had.
Advice: Remember to enjoy more, be in the moment, experience it all, watch it live rather than on replay, and be less worried about taking pics. I wish I had listened to my own advice even more. Unless you are paid by National geographic, your pics will not be half as good as those freely available on the internet. And we all just fill up our memory drives with thousands of pics - never to actually enjoy them again.
So take a few pics, and keep your camera inside as much as you can.
I took only one smartphone device which I used as camera, phone, and for internet.. absolutely nothing else
I don't have a single 'awesome' picture, but I have lots of enjoyable memories captured.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank anands_world

Been to Explorer Kenya? Share your experiences!