“Highlight of our trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 181 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
New York City, New York
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the Emakoko for 3 nights in February with a large group of 20, when we visited Kenya for my daughter's wedding, which the Emakoko also hosted. The managers, Emma and Anton, were unbelievable - they were so on top of everything - from organizing transfers for all the guests, to amazing and creative menus that accommodated everyone's dietary requirements (we had one vegan, one gluten free, two vegetarians, and all picky eaters, and all the food was delicious), to organizing game drives and visits to the elephant orphanage and giraffe center.

Everything was absolutely perfect and made the whole wedding absolutely seamless - despite I'm sure what was a nightmare in planning! Not only that but Emma and Anton are just delightful to be around and everyone really enjoyed getting to know them. The Emakoko was 100% a highlight of our trip - made us feel completely at home and utterly cared for, so we didn't have to worry about anything. The property is breathtaking, the game drives were exciting (lion, rhino, tons of plains game), the rooms were large, well appointed, beautifully furnished, with beautiful views and huge tubs, the staff were so kind and attentive - we cannot wait to go back and would highly recommend to anyone!!!

Room Tip: The higher rooms have sprawling views, but would recommend a lower room for those who might have tro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mizbinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was recently on a short business trip to Kenya. I wanted to do a bit of Game viewing and my work colleagues recommended a stay at Emakoko. I only had one night but they picked me up early and took me on a game drive en-route to the Hotel. The lodge itself is a delight. It is perched on a hillside with an outlook over the river which bounds the park. At night I slept with my doors wide open, letting in the sounds of the night. the food was perfect, and the hosts, Anton and Emma mde me feel very welcome. I took three game drives and was blown away by the diverstiy of game. In the evening we ate our dinner by the pool while some staff kept a watchful eye on a hippo and a buffalo which had strayed a bit close. At no time in my stay did I feel like I was close to a major city. I will come back with my family - I can't imagine a better way to start and finish a trip to Kenya.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 524AlanM
northern NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The choice of Embakoko lodge on the last day of our Kenyan safari in Nairobi turned out to be excellent and we did see black and white Rhino, albeit at a distance. The lodge itself is stunning and very upscale with period photographs of old Nairobi and the park on the walls. The food and service was excellent and the fact its located about 25 minutes from the international airport makes it a perfect location for the last day, or the first day assuming you have a full day in Nairobi on the way in. Emma and Anton were also great hosts and despite the short time (8 hours) there, it was a wonderful farewell to our safari. I still remember the lovely dinner with scores of hurricane lamps near the pool and the sounds of animals from the park making it seem we were far from civilization.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from Kenya andEthiopia and had the great pleasure of staying at Emakoko at the beginning of our trip and at the end. It was perfection across the board. From the moment we were met at the airport to returning us to the airport we were met with kindness, expertise, comfort and great adventure. The food was superb and the staff was terrific. Emma and Anton a treat. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieB353
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Emakoko for two nights and we must let the whole world knows about the unmatched hospitality we got from this wonderful Lodge.we met at the airport by Sylvester,helped us with our luggage into his custom built Toyota land cruiser truck and briefed us on the short journey to the Lodge.He was really polite,friendly,soft spoken and highly conversant with the wildlife in the park.
We saw a white rhino,jackals and aard wolf by the road on our way to the Lodge though it was at night and we felt like we were doing a night game drive and that was so cool.Once we arrived we found Anton with other staff members who ushered us in carrying our bags and leading us across the foot bridge across the river into Emakoko.The food was perfect and the rooms too.
The following day we had an early morning game drive with Sylvester and he showed us the lions,more rhinos,zebras,lots of giraffes,impalas,harterbeests,acroc,hippo n water birds.
We also visited the elephant orphanage,Karen blixen museum and curio shops.
We departed for Serengeti to continue our safari wishing that we could stay longer at this marvelous Lodge,thank you so much Anton,Sylvester and the rest of the team at emakoko surely we must come back this time it will be Purely Emakoko.Happy New year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank austine a
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Emakoko for two days in September either side of a trip to the Mara and Mauritius.

The lodge is built on a small valley just outside Nairobi national park. There are lovely views into the park from the lodge and both the communal areas and the lodge has been designed to make the most of its location.

The room was beautiful but what impressed us most was the welcome we received from Anton, Emma and the staff at the lodge. Service was first class and the food was very good.

We went on two game drives both of which were superb. After telling Anton that we hadn't seen any rhino he found 12 for us in around an hour!

We'd definitely recommend staying here and plan to return.

• Stayed September 2012
Cairo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I visited the Emakoko on December 29th 2012, staying just one night before a horse riding safari. Unfortunately my flight was very delayed which was a real shame as I would have loved to have stayed longer in this lovely lodge. However the short time I spent was super; I was 'meeted and greeted' by Elizaban at the airport and driven straight to the lodge where I enjoyed an excellent lunch. Even though I was really only ready for a rest I went for a game drive in the afternoon where I had my best sighting of a Serval cat to date, an unexpected bonus with pictures to prove it! Back at the lodge my room was excellent; I did not mind a climb as the view was worth it! Plenty of space, a very comfortable bed and a bath overlooking the valley (plus giraffe!). Emma was a warm and gracious hostess and made me feel very welcome. Indeed all the staff were great and treated me very well. The food was very good and the lodge catered very well for me as a vegetarian. I would not hesitate to recommend the Emakoko to people visiting Nairobi, just be sure to give yourself enough time to really enjoy the Emakoko experience!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo