“A wonderful place that exceeded our expectations on the first night of our African adventure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Emakoko

The Emakoko
Ranked #2 of 191 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was skeptical about staying in a lodge in Nairobi National Park, but as we were arriving on the BA flight from London on Saturday evening and our flight down to the beach was not until the following afternoon we allowed our travel agent to persuade us to try Emakoko.

We were met at Jomo Kenyatta and driven to the lodge – it’s rather fun going into the park when no one else is there and having a night drive. We arrived and were welcomed by Anthony and showed our room – Emma had arranged a late supper for us but having spent all day eating on the plane we weren’t hungry and my wife was tired – she had spotted someone in the bar who we had last seen in Antarctica – it’s a small world so I went to have a drink and say hello.

The following day we had a wonderful game drive – the animals are easy to see and doesn’t take the hard work that is needed in some other locations – I was amazed at the diversity and number of animals that we saw – rhino, buffalo, Grant’s and Thomson’s gazelle, zebra, ostrich and lion – we were lucky to see a total of 30 lions in a three hour period, initially three females, then two separate males, three more and then two before coming across a kill – initially we saw four separate males then a number of females before seeing more (including cubs) under a tree finishing up the remains – we were told by the rangers that there were over 20 at the kill that morning.

We were sad to leave, having only had breakfast and not sampled what we understand to be great main meals. Next time we are in Nairobi we’ll go back.

Emma and Anthony have created a wonderful place - our room was spacious and a great place to relax and unwind in – there was even a terrace on which we could relax before going to Wilson and flying down to the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Benedict_J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Edwards, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

After almost 30 days in the bush around different parts of Africa, we ended with a day's stay here. It was a wonderful way to ease back into civilization. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, the food wonderful and we saw a hippo come to the swimming pool once the sun set. Anthony, the owner, is charming and full of good stories. Just don't bother with a massage - really not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bobbi B
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great place to get out of Nairobi over the weekend. Game viewing is not the greatest, but it's super close to the city, nicely setup and the staff and owner are super friendly. Clearly better than staying in a hotel in the city!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I took my first trip to Kenya this past August and expected Nairobi to be an annoying stopover before the "real" trip began. I was so delighted with Emakoko and my only is regret is that I didn't say LONGER ! I was greeted at the airport and pleased to discover that much of the drive to the lodge is through Nairobi National Park. It was night but before long we spotted a few animals and even saw two lions. I arrived to a warm greeting by the staff and hosts and had such a lovely time talking with Emma and Anthony in the lovely bar area. I was then taken to my cottage which was quite spacious with a beautiful stone fireplace, lovely verandah, and very chic decor. I was summoned early the next day with a delicious breakfast in my room followed by a trip to the airport at dawn. We spotted so many animals it was like being on a mini-game drive. I was so happy that the travel agent recommended a day room at Emakoko for the very long layover at the end of my trip because I knew I would get to go back. If you have a long layover this is the way to go. Instead of sitting in Nairobi airport for 11 hours I was able to visit the Sheldrick Trust and then relax at Emakoko - it certainly made me feel like I was still on safari. Thanks Emma and Anthony for creating such an incredible place - I hope I can come back, and next time I will spend an entire day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank kjd1983
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Emma and Anton were such gracious hosts and the rest of the staff were exceptional.Nothing was too much trouble.Newton our guide/driver was very patient and kind.The decor is beautiful.The food is exceptional.A real "piece of heaven".A perfect place from which to explore Nairobi from yet maintain your sanity!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were in Kenya for just 20 days visiting family, and had the most incredible two days with my husband and our two girls. We drove from the city centre and the game viewing (welcoming buffalo herd) was just the perfect start to our visit. We went on 2 game drives the next day, morning and evening and saw a lot of animals, including a male and female lion in the evening. Topped it off with a sundowner at a crest overlooking the lodge and saw the most amazing sunset. Definitely going to be one of my favorite rest stops in future ...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

What a fabulous introduction to Kenya and our safari. With an extra day to wait for someone's arrival our agent suggested Emakoko instead of hotel in Nairobi. Brilliant. Newton met us at airport and guided us through Nairobi national park during our stay. In 24 hours we saw a wealth of wildlife. He also took us to Sheldrick elephant orphanage, the Giraffe Center and also Kazuri Beads. I highly recommend each one. Newton has a wide range of experience. We learned so much from him. The lodge was breathtaking. Impossible that it is so close to the city. Our hosts were Rachel and Chris and Tony. We felt so at home our whole stay. Food was plentiful and delicious. Our cottages were spacious and comfortable. Not one thing could have been improved upon. What a start to a most incredible trip. Thank you Newton and Emakoko.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family