The Emakoko
Agoda.com
$101
$78
Priceline
All reviewsgame drivesnairobi national parkrelief managerfoot bridgelovely lodgeexcellent hostslions roaringblack rhinoopen dining roomhighly recommend this lodgedriver guidemain gatemajor citysafari experiencewilson airportinternational airportgreat place to start
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great place to get out of Nairobi over the weekend. Game viewing is not the greatest, but it's super close to the city, nicely setup and the staff and owner are super friendly. Clearly better than staying in a hotel in the city!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I took my first trip to Kenya this past August and expected Nairobi to be an annoying stopover before the "real" trip began. I was so delighted with Emakoko and my only is regret is that I didn't say LONGER ! I was greeted at the airport and pleased to discover that much of the drive to the lodge is through Nairobi National Park. It was night but before long we spotted a few animals and even saw two lions. I arrived to a warm greeting by the staff and hosts and had such a lovely time talking with Emma and Anthony in the lovely bar area. I was then taken to my cottage which was quite spacious with a beautiful stone fireplace, lovely verandah, and very chic decor. I was summoned early the next day with a delicious breakfast in my room followed by a trip to the airport at dawn. We spotted so many animals it was like being on a mini-game drive. I was so happy that the travel agent recommended a day room at Emakoko for the very long layover at the end of my trip because I knew I would get to go back. If you have a long layover this is the way to go. Instead of sitting in Nairobi airport for 11 hours I was able to visit the Sheldrick Trust and then relax at Emakoko - it certainly made me feel like I was still on safari. Thanks Emma and Anthony for creating such an incredible place - I hope I can come back, and next time I will spend an entire day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kjd1983
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Emma and Anton were such gracious hosts and the rest of the staff were exceptional.Nothing was too much trouble.Newton our guide/driver was very patient and kind.The decor is beautiful.The food is exceptional.A real "piece of heaven".A perfect place from which to explore Nairobi from yet maintain your sanity!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were in Kenya for just 20 days visiting family, and had the most incredible two days with my husband and our two girls. We drove from the city centre and the game viewing (welcoming buffalo herd) was just the perfect start to our visit. We went on 2 game drives the next day, morning and evening and saw a lot of animals, including a male and female lion in the evening. Topped it off with a sundowner at a crest overlooking the lodge and saw the most amazing sunset. Definitely going to be one of my favorite rest stops in future ...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

What a fabulous introduction to Kenya and our safari. With an extra day to wait for someone's arrival our agent suggested Emakoko instead of hotel in Nairobi. Brilliant. Newton met us at airport and guided us through Nairobi national park during our stay. In 24 hours we saw a wealth of wildlife. He also took us to Sheldrick elephant orphanage, the Giraffe Center and also Kazuri Beads. I highly recommend each one. Newton has a wide range of experience. We learned so much from him. The lodge was breathtaking. Impossible that it is so close to the city. Our hosts were Rachel and Chris and Tony. We felt so at home our whole stay. Food was plentiful and delicious. Our cottages were spacious and comfortable. Not one thing could have been improved upon. What a start to a most incredible trip. Thank you Newton and Emakoko.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family