WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Emakoko

The Emakoko
Ranked #2 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
New York City, New York
“Your safari starts NOW !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I took my first trip to Kenya this past August and expected Nairobi to be an annoying stopover before the "real" trip began. I was so delighted with Emakoko and my only is regret is that I didn't say LONGER ! I was greeted at the airport and pleased to discover that much of the drive to the lodge is through Nairobi National Park. It was night but before long we spotted a few animals and even saw two lions. I arrived to a warm greeting by the staff and hosts and had such a lovely time talking with Emma and Anthony in the lovely bar area. I was then taken to my cottage which was quite spacious with a beautiful stone fireplace, lovely verandah, and very chic decor. I was summoned early the next day with a delicious breakfast in my room followed by a trip to the airport at dawn. We spotted so many animals it was like being on a mini-game drive. I was so happy that the travel agent recommended a day room at Emakoko for the very long layover at the end of my trip because I knew I would get to go back. If you have a long layover this is the way to go. Instead of sitting in Nairobi airport for 11 hours I was able to visit the Sheldrick Trust and then relax at Emakoko - it certainly made me feel like I was still on safari. Thanks Emma and Anthony for creating such an incredible place - I hope I can come back, and next time I will spend an entire day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank kjd1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Emma and Anton were such gracious hosts and the rest of the staff were exceptional.Nothing was too much trouble.Newton our guide/driver was very patient and kind.The decor is beautiful.The food is exceptional.A real "piece of heaven".A perfect place from which to explore Nairobi from yet maintain your sanity!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were in Kenya for just 20 days visiting family, and had the most incredible two days with my husband and our two girls. We drove from the city centre and the game viewing (welcoming buffalo herd) was just the perfect start to our visit. We went on 2 game drives the next day, morning and evening and saw a lot of animals, including a male and female lion in the evening. Topped it off with a sundowner at a crest overlooking the lodge and saw the most amazing sunset. Definitely going to be one of my favorite rest stops in future ...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

What a fabulous introduction to Kenya and our safari. With an extra day to wait for someone's arrival our agent suggested Emakoko instead of hotel in Nairobi. Brilliant. Newton met us at airport and guided us through Nairobi national park during our stay. In 24 hours we saw a wealth of wildlife. He also took us to Sheldrick elephant orphanage, the Giraffe Center and also Kazuri Beads. I highly recommend each one. Newton has a wide range of experience. We learned so much from him. The lodge was breathtaking. Impossible that it is so close to the city. Our hosts were Rachel and Chris and Tony. We felt so at home our whole stay. Food was plentiful and delicious. Our cottages were spacious and comfortable. Not one thing could have been improved upon. What a start to a most incredible trip. Thank you Newton and Emakoko.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

My colleagues and I visited The Emakoko on 26th July.We were picked at KWS gates by Driver Newton. He is a gem.He went stopping for us to see the wild animals. Inside Emakoko,we were met by Emma and her husband. The staff were very friendly and the environment is quite soothing.
Emakoko experience is one to long for and will surely go back there.
Emmas dog is also very beautiful.
Emakoko experience is worth the investment. Will surely go back there.

Rebecca-Equity bank Head office

Room Tip: all the rooms have a great view of the park and the Mbagathi River
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We had the great fortune to end our safari in such a special place. Our hosts Anton and Emma and the staff were gracious and welcoming. The lodge is just on the edge of Nairobi National Park yet only 20 minutes from the airpot. Its furnishings are truly elegant with large luxurious cottage style rooms, a beautiful pool, and an open dining room that overlooks the park. The food and drinks were excellent and made us regret only spending one night. Although in the center of Nairobi the magical feel of the lodge causes one to believe that they are still isolated in a national park such as the Serengeti or Maasai Mara. This young lodge is a must stay place in Kenya and has a bright future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sftravelers83
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I want to share this new camp with you. It is only about 20 minutes from the international airport of Nairobi, so very convenient if you arrive in the evening. You don´t have to drive 45 minutes to a city hotel (during the day there are major traffic jams from the airport to the city - up to 2 hours...). So The Emakoko solves that problem. Sometimes you just know when something will become a success. The Emakoko is one of these special places. This intimate camp overlooks the Nairobi National Park. There is no physical border with the park, it is just on the other side over the ´river´ (rather a small stream). Everything is done very stylish. There are 10 spacious rooms; 5 on the same level as the lounge (all very private), and the other 5 are situated on top of the cliff. All the rooms share the same view on the park. It feels like you are in a little valley, so you don´t have the view over the plains of the park. Something you have to know is the the steps are quite big, and if you are staying at the rooms at the top, it is some effort to get there. So not ideal for people with walking disabilities. Although the first room left from the central area would be ideal for people with walking difficulties (and wheelchair friendly). The rooms are nice and spacious and there is a big nice bathtub. I think The Emakoko is really great for the high end traveller, and a nice way to start your trip. Even if you arrive in the evening when it is dark, it is so nice to wake up the next morning surrounded by nature. As this will most probably your first stop, it is so nice to be welcomed by a traditional Masai warrior. The owners Emma and Anthony have so much experience in the tourism industry, they really know what they are doing. Btw... there is also internet access. Prety convenient.

Room Tip: Depending on how fit you are. All rooms have a nice view. If you really like your privacy, then book...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo